Trochus Snail lost its shell

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've had this snail since the day I added live rock and he's been going strong ever since but I ****** up today
I was trying to stabilise a rock before it fell on somthing and saw the snail sitting right under it so I'm like okay your in danger I need to move you
I went to move him grabbed the shell and pulled and the shell came off but left the snail behind
I've moved the snail to a makeshift quarentene and have a air pump and a little food in there for him, Ive put him back into the shell and confirmed he is alive but he is hurt. Does anyone know what to do?
image.jpg

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much you can do but provide the best environment possible and hope for the best. It’s my understanding that snail shells are attached by tendons and if they break it’s bad news for the snail.

OP
OP
Peach02

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much you can do but provide the best environment possible and hope for the best. It’s my understanding that snail shells are attached by tendons and if they break it’s bad news for the snail.
Do you think there is hope for recovery / that the makeshift quarentene is okay

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think there is hope for recovery / that the makeshift quarentene is okay

I have read that if there is a small amount of shell left on the tendon and there are no internal injuries from the shell being tore free there is a chance the shell may regrow.

Ideally a quarantine tank should have filtration and stable parameters such as temp and salinity which will be difficult with that small makeshift container you set up.

OP
OP
Peach02

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've had this snail since the day I added live rock and he's been going strong ever since but I ****** up today
I was trying to stabilise a rock before it fell on somthing and saw the snail sitting right under it so I'm like okay your in danger I need to move you
I went to move him grabbed the shell and pulled and the shell came off but left the snail behind
I've moved the snail to a makeshift quarentene and have a air pump and a little food in there for him, Ive put him back into the shell and confirmed he is alive but he is hurt. Does anyone know what to do?
image.jpg
Update I burried him today as he looked dead thismorning and if he was alive he wouldn't be able to fend off hermit crabs so I put him out of his misery

srt4eric

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of an old thread but I looked in my tank this morning and I have a trochus that's crawling around without its shell. I've never seen anything like this.

20240322_071416.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Any advice or help is greatly appreciated
Hopefully it will adapt another shell or else it will lose its protection and likely perish

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of an old thread but I looked in my tank this morning and I have a trochus that's crawling around without its shell. I've never seen anything like this.

20240322_071416.jpg
It's referred to as Mantle Collapse; the only reasons I've heard for snails dropping their shells are disease (illness, parasites, etc.), injury, and possibly somethings like toxins or environmental conditions - in almost every case I've heard of, the shell dropping off is an indication that the snail is going to die soon.

That said, I have heard that Mantle Collapse can be healed with land snails (though this is highly disputed, as people dispute if these cases were truly Mantle Collapse, or if they were cases of Mantle Tears or Puffy Mantles), but I've never heard of it being healed with aquatic snails.

The cases that I've heard of recoveries with:

Edit: Looks like the FB link failed, but here's the info of the article:
"MANTLE COLLAPSE IN SNAILS

GEORGE SEBASTIAN NEUFELD·SATURDAY, JULY 22, 2017·"

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 7 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 79 79.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.0%
Back