Tropic marin

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you guys are ever feeling frisky, give the Tropic Marin Bio-Actif salt mix a try. It will blow your mind and I'm not exaggerating. If I could afford it, I'd always use it.

You have me curious too now...

Can you share a little more on your experience with the Bio-Actif salt?

It's my understanding that it's essentially the Pro-Reef salt with carbon dosing compounds added to it. I can see this helping/feeding corals in a higher nutrient tank ... but worry it might cause problems if used in low nutrient tanks.

Would appreciate insights on it from someone who's used it.

BTW - OP, I've been running Carbo-Calcium (powdered mixed into RODI) for about 6 weeks now. Haven't seen any real signs of build up on the end of the dosing lines yet.

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what my buddy and I observed using bio-actif salt mix after a few water changes: improved water clarity water was crystal clear, increased polyp extension in both LPS and SPS, enhanced coloration, improved skimmate production with a darker skimmate running the skimmer on a dry setting. I want to say accelerated growth too, but I cannot day for certain since this test tank was powered by Radium which corals love.

OP
OP
Duhnk

Duhnk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have me curious too now...

Can you share a little more on your experience with the Bio-Actif salt?

It's my understanding that it's essentially the Pro-Reef salt with carbon dosing compounds added to it. I can see this helping/feeding corals in a higher nutrient tank ... but worry it might cause problems if used in low nutrient tanks.

Would appreciate insights on it from someone who's used it.

BTW - OP, I've been running Carbo-Calcium (powdered mixed into RODI) for about 6 weeks now. Haven't seen any real signs of build up on the end of the dosing lines yet.
will think about doing that sounds easy. going for simple and easy.

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the bio actif lower nitrates and phosphate?

This video interview that ReefDudes did with Lou, the US rep for Tropic Marin, answers a lot of questions about the different TM salt mixes, Carbo-Calcium, All-for-Reef, Trace Elements, etc.:

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought you all might be interested in my latest Icp test after using all for reef for over 2 months now. I am dosing 35 mls a day in an sps dominant 50 gallon cube.
2C559FE4-4BCD-4FD7-AB5D-FF37F7B299BD.png

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought you all might be interested in my latest Icp test after using all for reef for over 2 months now. I am dosing 35 mls a day in an sps dominant 50 gallon cube.
2C559FE4-4BCD-4FD7-AB5D-FF37F7B299BD.png

I see Uranium in there. No wonder your corals pop so much!

Is All for Reef your only dosing that you do? I’m up to 8mL per day in my 43g.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see Uranium in there. No wonder your corals pop so much!

Is All for Reef your only dosing that you do? I’m up to 8mL per day in my 43g.
Foundation and trace wise yes, but I’m going to adding some additional potassium and iodine as they seem to be depleting faster than others. I also dose kz flatworm stop for enhanced coral health.

Bramzor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder since it will only become available when consumed (that is how I understood how carbocalcium works), I wonder if it's even possible to overdose it. How does it work exactly? Bacteria convert the material in something that is usable for the corals?

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder since it will only become available when consumed (that is how I understood how carbocalcium works), I wonder if it's even possible to overdose it. How does it work exactly? Bacteria convert the material in something that is usable for the corals?

I’ve been wondering this as well.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tropic Marin Pro from the start. I refuse to use anything else. The consistency in their salt is what is most important to me along with their near NSW parameters when mixed.

+1 same here. I use classic salt for my SPS dominate 165 gallon for almost 2 years now. All inhabitant vibrant and healthy. The salt dissolves very quickly and is ready to into your aquarium. My levels remain extremely consistent with TM in conjunction with AquaForest 3 part Balling Method.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbocalcium is a different form of calcium and alkalinity then the normal ones is all. Still can have to high or low of levels if not dosed properly. according to tm, you may still need to dose regular alk or cal if one is consumed more then the other in your system. Just minor doses though to keep things at levels you desire.
As soon as i can get an answer to the question of how close the solution potency is to redsea pro, ill switch over. Considering weening of redsea pro and onto the homemade all for reef mix as in the long run i think its cheaper and simpler. Im looking at the cost to mix 3gal of each and tm comes out cheaper if my math is correct.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.4%
Back