OP
OP
Duhnk

Duhnk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think BRS did a video on cost per gallon or something like that on additives. I may be wrong tho, it’s still early for me and I’ve seen ALOT of videos by BRS over the years

**EDIT**
I thought I saw a video on it: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/vide...-actually-cost-each-month-brstv-investigates/
ive seen it too but it seems like they focus on price and they dont have a focus video on the product.
so id ask around and see if anyone on reef2reef have used it over a long period of time with success.

jlts21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive seen it too but it seems like they focus on price and they dont have a focus video on the product.
so id ask around and see if anyone on reef2reef have used it over a long period of time with success.
Right, I’m honestly not 100% sure how long it has been out, but I would think they’re all the same elements, just the delivery is different (some are all in one some are all individual) so it should perform the same

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30 ml sounds like you have a crazy amount of consumption from your corals.
So if I test alk at midnight it’s usually 8.1-8.2
I’ll then add 30 mls of afr
Test 12 hours later at noon and alk will be around 9.3 and then drops back to 8.1 12 hours later.

jlts21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I test alk at midnight it’s usually 8.1-8.2
I’ll then add 30 mls of afr
Test 12 hours later at noon and alk will be around 9.3 and then drops back to 8.1 12 hours later.
You want to test at the same time everyday. If I’m understanding it correctly you are adding 30ml and your alk rises accordingly in ppm or dkh based on that 30ml (9.3 or whatever it should increase) then is back down to 8.1 when you test again (at the same time the next day) then the consumption is 30ml. I don’t know what that is in ppm or dkh but you should be able to figure that out based on system volume and what not

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want to test at the same time everyday. If I’m understanding it correctly you are adding 30ml and your alk rises accordingly in ppm or dkh based on that 30ml (9.3 or whatever it should increase) then is back down to 8.1 when you test again (at the same time the next day) then the consumption is 30ml. I don’t know what that is in ppm or dkh but you should be able to figure that out based on system volume and what not
50 gallon sps dominant tank
Midnight 8.1dKh, add 30 mls
Noon around 9.3 dKh
Midnight back to 8.1 dKh
Every day

Yes, my alk swings from around 8dKh to 9 dKh every day with zero issues.

jlts21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50 gallon sps dominant tank
Midnight 8.1dKh, add 30 mls
Noon around 9.3 dKh
Midnight back to 8.1 dKh
Every day

Yes, my alk swings from around 8dKh to 9 dKh every day with zero issues.
right, what I was saying is that you are dosing 30ml and when you test at midnight everyday, the level is staying consistent at 8.1. IMO, that means you have 30ml of consumption. I don't think its an issue having a swing of 1dkh. Just that you dose 30ml and alk is staying consistent at 8.1, so the 30ml is a maintenance dose. 8.1, dose 30ml, 9.3 then back to 8.1 meaning the corals are consuming 1dkh of alk between noon and midnight

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
right, what I was saying is that you are dosing 30ml and when you test at midnight everyday, the level is staying consistent at 8.1. IMO, that means you have 30ml of consumption. I don't think its an issue having a swing of 1dkh. Just that you dose 30ml and alk is staying consistent at 8.1, so the 30ml is a maintenance dose. 8.1, dose 30ml, 9.3 then back to 8.1 meaning the corals are consuming 1dkh of alk between noon and midnight
Correct.
I was only adding 20 mls the first couple weeks, then I had to increase it to 25 mls and now I’m at 30. The corals are loving this stuff

Bramzor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All in One recipe according to Hans-Werner;
140g CarboCalcium powder
12g Bio-Magnesium
Mix into;
800 ml RODI
Add 100ml A-
Add 100ml K+
I will start with it in a few days but without the A- and K+ in the beginning. Tank has not enough corals at this time so I prefer to go without it the first month or so.

I found a post however where someone was dosing with CarboCalcium powder and had some salt creep on the dosing lines so it stopped working over time and he stopped using it. Anyone had any similar experience?

OP
OP
Duhnk

Duhnk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will start with it in a few days but without the A- and K+ in the beginning. Tank has not enough corals at this time so I prefer to go without it the first month or so.

I found a post however where someone was dosing with CarboCalcium powder and had some salt creep on the dosing lines so it stopped working over time and he stopped using it. Anyone had any similar experience?
dang i got the carbo calcium also. will see over a few months if it becomes a issue

AcanthurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RHF implied that it is not chemically possible for precipitant to form and the buildup is more of a mixing issue. I have seen it but it's soft and not as bad as the buildup using the normal alkalinity solution for 2/3 part dosing. I've never needed to soak the tube in vinegar using CarboCalcium.

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using it as well. Once my frags started to need about 0.25dkh per day, I started using about 5mL a day of this stuff in my 43g tank. Looks like I’m going to need to bump this up to around 7.5mL per day now.

I’ll keeping using it until it’s requiring enough to justify the cost of a high quality doser.

Paul Sands

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never noticed an issue in my dosing lines using it. Have half a dozen tanks and dosers running it for about a year or so...

Bramzor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never noticed an issue in my dosing lines using it. Have half a dozen tanks and dosers running it for about a year or so...
Perfect :) FYI: We are talking about the CarboCalcium powder right?

If you guys say it isn't cheap, is this based on the 1000ml mixture or the powder? Because in theory, using the powder it should be one of the cheapest ways to keep KH,Ca up.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like a cool product but I’d need 80-100mls a day so it’s not practical. Would be a great option for small tanks though. I just started using these and am using BRS 2part. To early to tell if it is doing anything yet though.

9AA763F8-A54B-49A6-A575-4EEA5FF4115A.png

Paul Sands

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like a cool product but I’d need 80-100mls a day so it’s not practical. Would be a great option for small tanks though. I just started using these and am using BRS 2part. To early to tell if it is doing anything yet though.

9AA763F8-A54B-49A6-A575-4EEA5FF4115A.png

Did you use their calculator? I seem to recall needing about half the amount of all-for-reef that I used when I ran b-ionic. I don’t find it to be expensive.

Last edited:

Paul Sands

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect :) FYI: We are talking about the CarboCalcium powder right?

If you guys say it isn't cheap, is this based on the 1000ml mixture or the powder? Because in theory, using the powder it should be one of the cheapest ways to keep KH,Ca up.

I mixed the carbo calcium into RODI for a few months along with the trace minerals. I use the All-For-Reef now because I’m lazy. It’s the same thing, so it shouldn’t matter.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you use their calculator? I seem to recall needing about half the amount of b-ionic that I used to use. I don’t find it to be expensive.

Directions said to start with 5ml per 26 gallons. My tank is around 230G of water so even at the starting dose I’d be around 45mls per day. I’m assuming my tank would need more than the minimum dose to keep my levels where I want them.

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Directions said to start with 5ml per 26 gallons. My tank is around 230G of water so even at the starting dose I’d be around 45mls per day. I’m assuming my tank would need more than the minimum dose to keep my levels where I want them.

Use the calculator on their website, don't follow those directions. You have to test for a few days and find out how much alk your tank consumes. Then you plug in that along with your water volume and it will give you a more accurate dose.

I dose 1ml every other day in my 30 gallon display. It's still a young tank with mostly frags, but I can't even imagine I would ever need 5ml's per day.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Chaswood79 I've used a couple of acetate based supplements in the past, Salifert All in One, and Polyp Lab One, both of which I had to discontinue once demand increased. At the increased dosages I experienced bacterial blooms. This product isn't acetate based but have you seen any excess bacterial growth?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back