Truck or SUV?

riche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to get a used vehicle and I need your opinion. I'm looking at a used truck or a used suv, something cheap just to get around when needed. I'm torn between what to get, a truck I can do a lot with it as most know I like to buy and sell things so its easier to get stuff, but An suv is more comfortable .

What ever I get Hunter( My 15 year old) will be driving it soon as he will be taking drivers ed shortly. I have always been a truck guy but I wonder if a Suv would be better as he will driving it.

SO ext cab 4x4 truck or a SUV. I leaning towards a truck as I have some things I need to do around the yard and the house so it would be helpful to be able to go to the store and get stuff, but then at the same time I have a messed up back and a bad leg so getting in and out isnt always fun or is the ride.

I'm looking at early 2000 Jeep grand cherokee, Ford Expedition, or full size ext cab trucks. I'm afraid if I get a truck I might end up doing more then I should and my body will pay the price, but I'm also worried I f i get a Suv I will be limited on being able to pick stuff up and will have to rent a trailer or have to find a friend with a truck if I ever need to pick something up.

Then the issue of price comes into play, for what I want to spend I can find a decent condition suv and there are more of them at my price point, trucks on the other hand are slim pickings and are usually beat up pretty good.

It will serve me for a year or so and then I will get something newer and give what ever I get to my kid.

Thanks

Rich

Sailingeric

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say go SUV. I have a Mazda CX-5 and it has plenty of room for 99% of things I do. Most SUVs drive like cars, get better gas mileage and more comfortable. Buying a truck for the one time you might get piece of plywood or hauling a couch is waste. Worse case you rent one. I am picking up some wood next weekend and I am renting a Dodge Ram for $35 for the day and what I spent renting it I have saved 100 times or more over in fuel driving my SUV.

Infidel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're a truck guy, get a truck. When I was your son's age it took me about 2 minutes to get comfortable with an extended bed pickup. Hunter will be fine. Just stay the heck way from anything made by FIAT (Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep). Tundras aren't cheap but dam they're nice (RIP MPG with the 5.7, makes a Silverado seem efficient lol) and 350k is just getting broken in for those trucks ;).

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a truck guy, they are just so much more versatile than anything else. I recently struggled with this decision as well when I had to replace my old truck. The wife wanted me to get something more efficient which limited me to crossovers. But I just couldn't do it, theres sooo much more you can do with a truck vs a crossover or SUV. You certainly pay for it in fuel depending on what year you go with. I will say my 2013 F150 3.5L was getting me about 25 mpg and my wife's 2017 Subaru Forrester gets around 32 orso. The fuel economy gap has become very close in recent years.

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted a truck so bad, but couldn't bring myself to pay those prices. A decade ago trucks were cheaper than SUV's, and now suddenly new ones run $35,000 with no options. I won't pay the price just because demand has driven it up. Same reason I'll never have certain corals...

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I recently got a new truck for myself. I got a truck instead of other cars or suv because I can haul stuff, higher ground clearance, safer to drive and higher resale value. If you are worried about your body, perhaps the step bars might help you a bit. If that’s not good enough, go with a suv and I agree to STAY AWAY FROM FIAT/CHRYSLER!! (They are unreliable and cause a lot of problems.)

sharpimage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get the first one that you come across that is too good to pass up. Unless you need it now, then I would get a pick up

Jordan Parker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a car guy myself. But for the winter months and doing things around the house like renovations or dump runs, a truck was a must for me. I'd gone back and forth between the truck and SUV situation for months and ultimately opted for a cheap truck. I wouldn't do it any other way if I were to go back and do it again.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tacoma for mid size or f150 for full size. 4runner if you want suv.

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our oldest son inherited the wife’s 98 suburban with 200k miles, at that time it was the safest vehicle on the road. My daughter was next and she was given a 95 3/4 ton Chevrolet with a big bumper. Kids make mistakes, and parking in a school parking it’s bumper cars. My youngest got the 3/4 ton next, after two years he rolled it. I put $200 back into to get it running and he drove that until he could buy his own. Kids can put too many friends in a suv

hubcap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say an SUV but Do not buy a grand Cherokee. You will regret it.
agreed.
IF youre looking 2000s Jeep, and youre not a 'larger' fellow.... go with an XJ "Cherokee"
Grand Cherokees just have more crap to go wrong with it. Especially the V8 models.
I got 180k mi out of my 2000 Cherokee XJ (4.0L straight 6) and still got $3k for it when I sold it. For some reason, some people hold them in high regard, but, if I were to judge the kid that bought it....I can imagine its lifted 6" with 35s under it. :)

That being said, imo, remain practical.
If you haul stuff that isn't heavy in weight, (like a boat or stones) there are plenty pick ups out there that are just as, if not, MORE comfortable than a Cherokee/SUV. And more fuel efficient. Also....if you're a larger person, the Cherokee can feel a bit cramped.
I got a dodge ram hemi and man, that thing can duh-RINK gas. Seriously thinking about trading it in for a Toyota Tacoma, or something of the like.

Get whats best for your situation. If you don't need cargo to remain dry, or if the stuff you haul is tall, for obvious reason go truck. If youre hauling kids more than "stuff" go SUV.

Just my $.02 adjusted for inflation.

-cap

Morelia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just traded in a 2005 Tacoma for a 2020 4Runner, and love it! My vote is SUV - and agree with what others have said -avoid the Jeep's.

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to decide between the Tacoma pick up with a bed extender and tow hitch or a Chevy suburban. You can remove the third row seats and with the second row down you can still get a full sheet of plywood in. The suv has a much smoother ride too.

Back