True stand alone LED

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every single day I see people either dumping LED or adding t5. More often than not people add enough t5 to their tank to keep any coral they could ever want. Are any LED truly stand alone? I know a handful of you guys have been successful with LED only, but its not widespread. Some of these LED that people end up adding t5 to "supplement" are very very expensive. I'm just not getting why not just skip LED completely and have a full t5. Someone said the other day they wanted to add t5 to their existing LED fixture because the corals were lacking color. They went on to explain that they wanted to keep the LED because if the accelerated growth LED has over t5. I could be very wrong, but I thought the general consensus was LED actually grew coral slower. I have no experience with having LED and I'm asking you that have to chime in and educate me.

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pete, I have a full DIY broad spectrum LED array and would put it up against any other light on the market for both color and growth. Most of the issues with LED is still a lack of understanding/knowledge of them either with intensity or spectrum. I designed mine to emulate the Phoenix 14K lamp with most all of its overall spectral output. IMHO the RB + CW fixtures will grow coral just fine but lack in a big way the broader range of spectrum to make corals look their best and why so many go back to or supplement with T5's. To me very uneccasary if you have a good broad spectrum fixture to begin with. There are several broad spectrum units available today from value priced to over the top that will give you both great color and growth with the added advantage of being lamp replacement free for several years.

Cheers, Todd

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've just got Softies, but they grow faster under my LEDs than they ever did under the 250w 14k Halides I used to run.

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had excellent results growing SPS frags with only 450nm Royal Blue.

There are a lot of different LEDs.

I prefer the Cree Cool White as its close to Full Spectrum. Of this there are 28 Different Colours of the Cree XT-E Cool White available.

By adding additional colours you can highlight the looks of different coral.

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LEDs are maturing, but individuals and businesses are still working things out. Some DIY systems are better than others and the same goes for commercial fixtures. Those lighting systems that 'get it right', spectrum and intensity wise, can have corals as colorful as T5s and growth on par or even better with LEDs alone. However, with so many different LED colors available (and more coming out all the time), as well as different LED arrangement strategies, a much greater understanding of light itself and how it affects photosynthetic organisms is required. The easy route is to combine LED with all the benefits (reduced energy and heat/no yearly bulb replacement/increased shimmer/compact size) and a reduced compliment of T5 bulbs in the hope of hitting all the major photosynthetic peaks as well as providing wavelengths that will succeed in stimulating all the many coral pigments.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently switched from 4x24w T5HO on a 26g. To 180w full spectrum LED unit on a new 40B. I transferred all corals from the 26 to the 40. All LPS & 1 SPS Birds Nest. It's been 3wks.
I will never go back to T5's! The color & growth in such a short time is amazing! Especially from the Birds Nest!

Day 1
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403652211.048683.jpg

3wks later
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403652669.620108.jpg

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pete im one of those people that wouldn't mind adding t5 to my lighting setup but its because of one specific coral, Yea I know it sounds weird, but my corals in all of my tanks have Full spectrum leds and every coral in all my tanks look better than the Halides and t5's that I had except my acan's. For some odd reason acan's just pop so much better under t5's. As for coral growth, i have been keeping track of some of coral growth since i have switched and the difference is night and day. Im getting some explosive growth on my zoas and sps, not to mention how much better my zoas look. Another reason i love the leds is because of the added colors available in the full spectrums which really highlights some colors.

3Twinklets

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 AI Vega's and am upgrading to the new Hydra 52's. I also have a T-5 because some SPS corals color up better with the additional T-5.

3Twinklets

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I said that, I might take my T-5 down but I would never part with my LED's

Novillac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always run LED and now I have the best set I've ever bought. I didn't buy them from ReefBreeders but they are the ReefBreeders Photon 24". This light is awesome. Beautiful deep water colors when adjusted correctly. Growth has been noticeable in the last week they've been on the tank. Check out my build thread to see the most recent photo of the lights on my 40B.

TrPPnN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard that the Reef Genesis 3 Seriesof lights are pretty friggin powerful... my buddy bleached a couple of his corals because he wasn't expecting that much PAR after he got rid of his halides... At 24" watercolumn, we were still getting close to 200+PAR on the sand bed... That is POWERFUL!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Pete, I may be the guy you were referencing in the beginning. I am in the process of adding t5s to my setup to supplement, but it is specifically for acan colors...acans are the only thing I am having any issue with losing color under LEDs. Also, my LEDs are NOT top of the line, and I while I am sure there are probably some nice full-spectrum LED fixtures out there that will maintain acan colors, I'm not sure which ones those would be. I wish I had Todd's knowledge of LED setup and design...but unfortunately, I don't know enough to get started on designing anything like that. I figure if I can solve the problem by just investing a few dollars in a used t5 fixture and throwing some bulbs in to supplement, then I might as well go for it. :tongue: That said, I ran a tank with all t5s before going LED, and I don't regret going LED at all. In fact, I am doing the t5 supplement with the realization that I would definitely remove the t5s before the LEDs. I like the control, the effect, and all around look of the LEDs MUCH better than I do T5s. HTH ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pete polyp

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not just you, I have seen a whole bunch adding t5 to their LED. Some of these are some of the newest and most expensive fixtures out there. I will agree that the look of LED is amazing, and blue only is breathtaking.,,

johnanddawn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a true stand alone led
I've been running LEDs for 4 years now with success with most corals, although my tank is predominantly zoas and sps both of which do fine under LEDs
My system is DIY and I've never once looked back at T5's or halides
T5 were nice color but replacement bulb cost gets ridiculous quick. 8 bulbs every 9 months ugg!
MH are awesome but every time I replaced a MH bulb I was paranoid about losing coral do to intensity increase because their spectrum and power drops so much over 8 - 10 months
LEDs do have a few shortcomings and some fixtures that people spend a lot of money on are not what they want them to be

I'm still experimenting even after 4 years but know one day I'll find the perfect combo, but there is one thing that is for sure - no way I would ever go back
And for those who don't want to DIY - some of the fixtures offered today incorporate what the DIY'ers have learned over the years works

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back