Trying to find a fish with personality

leilani908

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
I'm upgrading my tank soon to a 50 gallon that is 36 inches long and 20 inches wide and I'm trying to put together a list of fish I want to stock it with, but there's too many to choose from.

What do you guys think I should add to the tank? I'm looking for fish with great personality ☺️ looking for reef safe or reef safe with caution as I will have corals.

OP
OP
L

leilani908

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Valentini Puffer - best fish ever! :)
Do they nip at corals? Have they ever bothered your inverts? I weren't have snails and a cleaner shrimp. I have heard that they have wonderful personalities.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

leilani908

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lawnmower Blenny
I had a bicolor that I really loved. What's cool about the lawnmower?
And yeah! I really want a jawfish. They seem so cool. Why the yellow head and not the blue dot?

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any blenny or goby. and yes, the puffers are great, but u never know if they have a taste for your corals until you put them in your system. i really want a toby puffer, as i've had one before... they're checking you out more than you check them out. GL

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wrasse all have a ton of personality and are very interactive with anyone who goes near the tank. I have a canary (not guaranteed reef safe), a lubbocks fairy, and a blue streak cleaner wrasse. I also had an active red head solon wrasse but he found his way through the overflow and tried to jump the sump :(

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lawnmower Belnny is so ugly that it is cute. He often perch on rock or coral with his fuzzy head showing and his eyes looking at different direction, comical.
yeah they are so ugly. Are there any other options that look better that has the same benefits of having lawnmower blenny?

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi from a fellow Canadian! I’m Chinese-Canadian who used to live in Vancouver. Unfortunately the high living costs have made me leave and now I’m back in Asia.

Are you keeping invertebrates? If not, I don’t see how you could go wrong with a Flame or Long Nose Hawkfish. The others I heard can be a lot more aggressive.

If you’re keeping shrimp and all that, I’d definitely consider a Yellow Watchman or same genus goby for the symbiotic relationship with a Pistol Shrimp.

I’m not sure if there’s any fish that’s more aesthetically pleasing, around the same size and does the same job as the Lawnmower Blenny, sorry.

How long is your tank? If it’s 3 foot long you could do a pygmy angelfish like Centropyge argi, Centropyge flavicauda, Centropyge resplendens, Centropyge fisheri, or Centropyge acanthops. Do add these last as they’re feisty.

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi from a fellow Canadian! I’m Chinese-Canadian who used to live in Vancouver. Unfortunately the high living costs have made me leave and now I’m back in Asia.

Are you keeping invertebrates? If not, I don’t see how you could go wrong with a Flame or Long Nose Hawkfish. The others I heard can be a lot more aggressive.

If you’re keeping shrimp and all that, I’d definitely consider a Yellow Watchman or same genus goby for the symbiotic relationship with a Pistol Shrimp.

I’m not sure if there’s any fish that’s more aesthetically pleasing, around the same size and does the same job as the Lawnmower Blenny, sorry.

How long is your tank? If it’s 3 foot long you could do a pygmy angelfish like Centropyge argi, Centropyge flavicauda, Centropyge resplendens, Centropyge fisheri, or Centropyge acanthops. Do add these last as they’re feisty.
Centropyge resplendens is unobtainable, unless it has been caught illegally

alain Bouchard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a rabbitfish. funny to watch him draw air and blow bubble through is gills. often throw water at me when I am over the tank to feed them algae. very peaceful otherwise.

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any fish that does not immediately hide when you look at it at the lfs. It looks back and dares you to try something fishy.

Oof

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 31 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back