Turtle's Deep Blue Sea

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, purple star/clove polyp things... any ideas on eradication? Manual removal, fenbendazole, dry out and cure the rock, just throw that rock away(lol)...? I want them gone.

I have an idea to encrust that large rock with some different montis. I have the monti cap that I've been completely calling by the wrong name. Its a Starburst cap, not a Sunset cap. Red/pink/orange with small yellow polyps. Its looking like mine will be more of a pinkish color under my Kessils. We'll see tho I've only had it a week. I want some WWC Cherry Tree undata and Tubs stellata. Problem is I need that infestation of soft coral gone.

I'm leaning the fenbendazole route of polyp removal. I'd have to remove all my cuc, that I just put in the tank, and the sympodium, if I want to keep it.

www.reef2reef.com/threads/eliminating-blue-clove-polyps-with-fenbendazole.308994/

Thoughts?
I have no experience with clove polyps... thank goodness! I do know that if you have bristle worms and use fenbendazole it will cause a mass die off and its associated issues.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no experience with clove polyps... thank goodness! I do know that if you have bristle worms and use fenbendazole it will cause a mass die off and its associated issues.

No bristle worms spotted... I like having them in my tank, but in this case I'm glad I dont have any. I think the list of things I have that "might possibly turn to schmoo" goes like this; clove polyps, sympodium, astrea snails. Just to be on the safe side, I'm gonna go ahead and remove the nerites as well. I've read reports where hermits, ceriths and nassarius are unaffected.

Last edited:

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No experience with fenbendazole but use caution of course. Be sure you’re ready.... Having only recently cleared a bunch of hurdles I hate to see you set yourself back again. I might wait a month or so to really give the tank some time to stabilize further.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, I'm in no rush to dump more stuff in the tank. Right now, I can severely tick them off with the tooth brush. I've had the majority of them closed for the past 3 days. I might have even killed off some of them. They are away from my Starburst monti cap, I'm fine for now... but eventually I want to grow corals on that rock, not weeds.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, I'm in no rush to dump more stuff in the tank. Right now, I can severely tick them off with the tooth brush. I've had the majority of them closed for the past 3 days. I might have even killed off some of them. They are away from my Starburst monti cap, I'm fine for now... but eventually I want to grow corals on that rock, not weeds.
I've seen where some members block their growth by putting aggressive corals next to them.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people’s weeds are others flowers. If I was closer I would take some off your hands

I'm with you gorgeous coral.
Find a bit of rock similar, remove the twig and pop this rock in Maui's tank, the fact that they grow quickly is because they are great natural nutrient exporters. ;)

Sipec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, purple star/clove polyp things... any ideas on eradication? Manual removal, fenbendazole, dry out and cure the rock, just throw that rock away(lol)...? I want them gone.

I have an idea to encrust that large rock with some different montis. I have the monti cap that I've been completely calling by the wrong name. Its a Starburst cap, not a Sunset cap. Red/pink/orange with small yellow polyps. Its looking like mine will be more of a pinkish color under my Kessils. We'll see tho I've only had it a week. I want some WWC Cherry Tree undata and Tubs stellata. Problem is I need that infestation of soft coral gone.

I'm leaning the fenbendazole route of polyp removal. I'd have to remove all my cuc, that I just put in the tank, and the sympodium, if I want to keep it.

www.reef2reef.com/threads/eliminating-blue-clove-polyps-with-fenbendazole.308994/

Thoughts?
Ive heard aptasia-x will kill zoas, maybe clove polyps too?

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What to say, you are going to try to kill these animals because they do not suit your purpose, can't get my head around that, a weed is just a wild flower in the wrong place!

Sipec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What to say, you are going to try to kill these animals because they do not suit your purpose, can't get my head around that, a weed is just a wild flower in the wrong place!
True... but its kinda like having a mouse infestation. Would you rather set traps or have mice run around your house? I do think it would be better just to take the rock out if you can though

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I understand you may be upset at my getting rid of an invasive coral... but I did not buy the rock for them. I actually didn't know they were on there until in my tank and opened up. They have spread considerably in the two months I've had the rock. Im not getting rid of the rock. I have the scape just perfect right now. Scraping them off isn't an option either, they are stuck on there better than any coral glue I've seen. Can not get a finger nail under to peel them off without ripping half of it and leaving the base, for it to grow back... trust me, three days ago I scraped half of them off and they are already recovering. Scrubbed the crap out of them with the tooth brush trying to get them off the rock and all I managed to do was turn my water milky cloudy from the pulverised polyps. I might have killed half of them, but the base is still there and I bet they'll grow out from there again.

Its like weeds in your yard. You put down pre-emergents and "weed n feed" to grow the plants you want and kill the ones you don't. These just happen to kinda sorta not be plants.

Like I said, if you can come get all of them off the rocks so they will never come back... you're more than welcome. Otherwise tree huggers please stand aside.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand you may be upset at my getting rid of an invasive coral... but I did not buy the rock for them. I actually didn't know they were on there until in my tank and opened up. They have spread considerably in the two months I've had the rock. Im not getting rid of the rock. I have the scape just perfect right now. Scraping them off isn't an option either, they are stuck on there better than any coral glue I've seen. Can not get a finger nail under to peel them off without ripping half of it and leaving the base, for it to grow back... trust me, three days ago I scraped half of them off and they are already recovering. Scrubbed the crap out of them with the tooth brush trying to get them off the rock and all I managed to do was turn my water milky cloudy from the pulverised polyps. I might have killed half of them, but the base is still there and I bet they'll grow out from there again.

Its like weeds in your yard. You put down pre-emergents and "weed n feed" to grow the plants you want and kill the ones you don't. These just happen to kinda sorta not be plants.

Like I said, if you can come get all of them off the rocks so they will never come back... you're more than welcome. Otherwise tree huggers please stand aside.
Go #bemorepirate on them!

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tree hugger says hug this big boys! ;)
New frag from my lfs yesterday.

DSC06133 by sshipuk, on Flickr

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tree hugger says hug this big boys! ;)
New frag from my lfs yesterday.

DSC06133 by sshipuk, on Flickr

Nice birds nest, I'd call that a colony tho. The reef shop close to me has something similar, I've got some small frags but they don't seem to be doing very well for me yet. Me thinks they be lower light lovin corals.

20180301_122206.jpg

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since we are talking about lfs. We’ve been there twice today. Pulled a flame angel who was terrorizing my fowlr tank. I’ll have pics in a few. Let’s just say I jumped into the deep end.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 72 35.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 52 25.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 31.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.9%
Back