Turtle's Deep Blue Sea

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I'm pretty sure i have watched his speech on wrasse. I didn't know he lost his coral... haven't gotten to that part yet?
It was recent. I don't believe he has posted any "after" pictures yet.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Experiment, can the Curve LED grow chaeto and does this sump have a flawed design with the flow paths preventing macro algae growth?

Start 3/14/18

20180314_065706.jpg

Conclusion 3/25/18

20180325_070959.jpg

Yea, I'd say it grows chaeto alright. Its at least doubled in size in 10 days. I've been rolling it every few days when I remember it.

I'm not sure what was causing this exact same setup to fail before. The only variables I can think of are the addition of the Fiji mud, new DI resin and major water change, and this is a different batch of chaeto(altho it looks to be the same species as the last batch). So, basically the only thing that is the same is the light and the flow. Ok so there's a lot of variables. We're just happy everything is finally coming together.

So there's our refugium as a means of nutrient export. One of my original goals for this tank. No need to do water changes to accomplish that anymore. Now we need to work on replenishing major and trace elements thru dosing so we can get away from almost all water changes. I say almost all, because once a quarter I'll probably to a 10% water change. I'm contemplating just trying to dose with that Jebao DP4, or looking into a wifi doser like the Coral Box WF04. Hint, I really want the Coral Box.

Right now, we don't even know where to begin dosing because someone hasn't tested Alk in a while... a long while. Last test was on the 11th and we had a reading of 8.6dKH. We've done a few water changes since then, and I still don't think we have very much demand for Ca or Alk yet. I'll figure all that out this coming week.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what Ive read in a couple different places is the Coral Box is essentially a Jaebo with WiFi. Same pumps but in a smaller package. It’s about the size of a brick, maybe a tad smaller.

I’ll need to find Hunter’s MACNA talk. I dont think I’ve seen it. Anyone know what year it was?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what Ive read in a couple different places is the Coral Box is essentially a Jaebo with WiFi. Same pumps but in a smaller package. It’s about the size of a brick, maybe a tad smaller.

I’ll need to find Hunter’s MACNA talk. I dont think I’ve seen it. Anyone know what year it was?
It's not so much the pump as it is the program. Tell it you want to dose X amount over Y hours and it splits it evenly. It can also dose into the tenths of a ml. The Jebao can only dose in 1ml increments. You also have to set up each individual dose manually.

Its also much smaller and capable of being mounted inside my stand where I can forget about it and use the app to adjust my dose.

Overall it seems like a more modern, updated Chinese dosing pump. ;)

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda sorta day dreaming about my eventual upgrade to a full sized tank. May ramble a bit... hang on.

The cube thing is nice, but it's very limited on what I can do fish wise. To me, fish are right above corals on the priority list. I'd rather have a tank full of fish and a handful of corals. So for my next upgrade I'd been tossing up the idea of a 90g 36"x24"x24" cube from SCA... Then I got to thinking, a 120g is only 6 inches on either side, and opens up even more room. So I was planning on a SCA 120. Then a friend of mine that has a SCA 150 was trying to convince me to get one, because it was only 6" wider on each side than a 120. Problem is, that I have at most 58" to work within, and last time I checked there are 60" inside of 5'. I'd also like a little room to put between the tank and the fireplace. I can tuck the left side up into the corner. Wheels spinning... instead of adding 6" on the sides of a 120, why don't we add 6" on the front of a 120. 48"x30"x24". It's still the same volume just in a different direction. I wanted to see pictures of one, to see how good or bad one would look. Off to google. Hmm, there's a build thread on R2R claiming to be a 48"x30"x24"...

Cue "Duel of the Fates" from Star Wars: The Phantom Menace...
Logzors Rimless 150g

We are definitely getting a tank that size. Ghost overflow to take advantage of every inch of the two and a half foot front to back depth. I'll use my signature black sand with the back painted blue. Yes, I realize this will make the overflow stick out but I don't think it'll be that big of a deal. Who knows, maybe we can find a low profile overflow box like the Ghost, but in blue. Lighting will most likely be a combination of Kessil LEDs and T5 bulbs. I'm thinking one AP700 in the middle and 4 T5s ,2 on the front and back of the tank... maybe 6 T5s total. I'm wanting a solid wood stand, non of that MDF crap, with a matching floating canopy mounted to the wall. This way I can hide the unattractive T5 fixtures inside the canopy, and still have the beautiful aesthetics of a rimless tank. Like the BRS 160. I may even run the power wires inside the wall for the canopy, removing them from view all together.

It's nice to day dream... now to start saving and just maintain this tank instead of sinking money into it.

Last edited:

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 33 29.2%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 28 24.8%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 29 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back