SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The strike is over!

Thats one heck of a day dream too!

I was checking out the tank with the lights out and he was poking his head out checking me out... so I figured it couldn't hurt to try and feed him. Went and got a silver side and stuck it on the kebab stick and held it close to him. Lots of interest, rubbing on the silver side, stretching up the stick checking it out then quickly pulling back under the rock. Never bit on the silver side tho. Five minutes of that and I went for the squid. He's hungry, but unsure... I swear, eels are the biggest scaredy cat predators out there... stick the squid on the stick and hold it close. No interest. Darn, I missed it. He's lost interest in eating. Well, let's just hold it here a little longer and see what he does. Two minutes later he gently grabs the squid and nonchalantly takes it back into his cave. As if I insisted he take some, and he was only accepting too get me to leave him alone about it.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And after reading that AC/DC’s Thunderstruck started running through my head. Substituting Hunger for Thunder of course.... Guess its time for breakfast!

Give maui fuel, give maui fire, give maui squid which he desires...

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda sorta day dreaming about my eventual upgrade to a full sized tank. May ramble a bit... hang on.

The cube thing is nice, but it's very limited on what I can do fish wise. To me, fish are right above corals on the priority list. I'd rather have a tank full of fish and a handful of corals. So for my next upgrade I'd been tossing up the idea of a 90g 36"x24"x24" cube from SCA... Then I got to thinking, a 120g is only 6 inches on either side, and opens up even more room. So I was planning on a SCA 120. Then a friend of mine that has a SCA 150 was trying to convince me to get one, because it was only 6" wider on each side than a 120. Problem is, that I have at most 58" to work within, and last time I checked there are 60" inside of 5'. I'd also like a little room to put between the tank and the fireplace. I can tuck the left side up into the corner. Wheels spinning... instead of adding 6" on the sides of a 120, why don't we add 6" on the front of a 120. 48"x30"x24". It's still the same volume just in a different direction. I wanted to see pictures of one, to see how good or bad one would look. Off to google. Hmm, there's a build thread on R2R claiming to be a 48"x30"x24"...

Cue "Duel of the Fates" from Star Wars: The Phantom Menace...
Logzors Rimless 150g

We are definitely getting a tank that size. Ghost overflow to take advantage of every inch of the two and a half foot front to back depth. I'll use my signature black sand with the back painted blue. Yes, I realize this will make the overflow stick out but I don't think it'll be that big of a deal. Who knows, maybe we can find a low profile overflow box like the Ghost, but in blue. Lighting will most likely be a combination of Kessil LEDs and T5 bulbs. I'm thinking one AP700 in the middle and 4 T5s ,2 on the front and back of the tank... maybe 6 T5s total. I'm wanting a solid wood stand, non of that MDF crap, with a matching floating canopy mounted to the wall. This way I can hide the unattractive T5 fixtures inside the canopy, and still have the beautiful aesthetics of a rimless tank. Like the BRS 160. I may even run the power wires inside the wall for the canopy, removing them from view all together.

It's nice to day dream... now to start saving and just maintain this tank instead of sinking money into it.
Just a thought, but why stick with standard 1' length options?

You could go 52" or 54" long depending on how much space you want to have on the sides. I mean.. if you are going to spend the money on a custom, why not really customize it?

If I do get another aquarium I'm thinking it will be the SCA 120g. I love the 30" depth on my 187g but I like the proportions of the 48"x24". It's in the same proportions as my current 60"x30".

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought, but why stick with standard 1' length options?

You could go 52" or 54" long depending on how much space you want to have on the sides. I mean.. if you are going to spend the money on a custom, why not really customize it?

I've thought of that. I'll have to look and see exactly how close I want to get to the fire place. On the left side the tank will go all the way against the wall.

20180325_164652.jpg

Hard to measure and take a picture without the tape falling, but this is roughly how much room I have to work with, most likely subtracting an inch, but definitely not adding one. This wasn't measuring in the step down from the dining room, just from the wall.

20180325_165043.jpg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've thought of that. I'll have to look and see exactly how close I want to get to the fire place. On the left side the tank will go all the way against the wall.

20180325_164652.jpg

Hard to measure and take a picture without the tape falling, but this is roughly how much room I have to work with, most likely subtracting an inch, but definitely not adding one. This wasn't measuring in the step down from the dining room, just from the wall.

20180325_165043.jpg
I wouldn't go any more than 56" personally.

And if you do go with a 30" deep tank I hope that the entry to that room is wide! Especially if using a ghost overflow. The tank will need to sit 4" to 6" off the wall so it will block a 3' opening easily.

I'm guessing that with SCA you will pay $600 more to get the synergy overflow cutouts and the extra 6" depth when compared to a standard 120g. You would likely only add $200 more to that to get from 48" long to 54" long.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering when turtle was going to get a more room to play. @sfin52 that wrasse is killer, I tried to add a flasser and my ars-ho 6-line wouldn't allow it, need to trap it, So I can get something like that.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering when turtle was going to get a more room to play. @sfin52 that wrasse is killer, I tried to add a flasser and my ars-ho 6-line wouldn't allow it, need to trap it, So I can get something like that.
Thanks. Heather (wify) found it tucked back in a corner tank. She is starting to get involved with the tanks.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 6-line is the only fish I regret putting in my tank. It hasn't caused problems but it is the reason I don't have any other wrasses. They are better served in frag tanks than DT's imo. :(

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Heather (wify) found it tucked back in a corner tank. She is starting to get involved with the tanks.
Lucky you, My Wife's idea of involvement is to throw it in the garbage along with everything else that qualifies as clutter.
clutter2.jpg

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 6-line is the only fish I regret putting in my tank. It hasn't caused problems but it is the reason I don't have any other wrasses. They are better served in frag tanks than DT's imo. :(
Absolutely agree. I was able to trap and remove mine but it took me months to see what a jerk he was. Didn't notice it until I added a Flameback angel and they formed a relentless Tag Team duo!
upload_2018-3-26_12-7-30.jpeg

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey all you dog people Petco now carries Taste of the wild, going to cancel my chewy autoship, also got the old girl a Sealy, you think I'm joking about the wife? she throws out the dogs bed when it starts to smell so when i got this Miley wouldn't get off it for two days, I had to drag her off to go outside. the last is a taste of the wild.
20180323_180839.jpg 20180324_140748.jpg

Sipec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I daydream a lot too, for my next tank i want to do a 2’/2’/4’ tank, which i belive is about 120 gallons. Filtration would be a 30 gal. Sump i have in the basement. Marinepure balls in chamber #1, fuge in 2 (complete with frogfish) and return/skimmer in #3. Although i’m not sure if it will work like that, cause i’m not an expert on sumps. For lighting i’d do 2 kessil a360s-ne tuna blues and for rock i’d do pukani. Sand would be arag alive, fiji pink Maybe? For fish i’d do
2 clarkii clowns, 1 pearl eye and one galaxy,
A pair of helfrichie firefish
2-4 bangaii cardinals
4 green or vanderbilt chromis
1 midas blenny
1 blue spotted or yellow head jawfish
1 yellow head or just regular cleaner wrasse
1 mcoskers flasher wrasse
A neon dottyback would be cool, but i hear they’re really aggressive and would probably come last
1 red scooter manderain
And potentially a banded pipefish

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 8 13.1%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 11 18.0%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 39 63.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back