OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WAY better outcome than the first time we tried SPS in the Deep Blue Sea. Got home from work and other than forgetting to plug the ATO back in last night,(oops, micro bubbles everywhere) everything looks great. No RTN in less than 24 hours. Everything actually has polyps out and looks very happy. More of the zoas even decided to come out to play too.

We did our weekly 5g water change and tested the tank and fresh mix alk. Tank is 8.5dKH and fresh mix is 8.6dKH. I'm going to keep a close eye on alk in the next few days to see if its dropping, and see if I can see a trend that we can dose too.

We are noticing even more algae growth in the display... come on refugium, do your job! Gonna pull back on feeding the fish until we get this algae situation under control.

20180120_190744.jpg

20180120_190118.jpg

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does your CUC consist of by any chance? Seems a little shorted by the amount of algae in their.
-Zack

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uh, think there's 2 turbo snails that survived the great stray voltage disaster... Florida ceriths, dwarf ceriths, as many asterinas as I've plucked out of the nano... that's about it for the rocks. Oh and Tim! Can't forget Tim. Nassarius and that conch for the sand... which is spottless. Might need to get some more turbos next time I'm at the LFS.

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look what came in the mail today. Super excited!!! :D;Joyful:):cool:;Woot;Happy;Turtle

20180120_204755.jpg

I’m jelous!
You_may_need some more CUC. Maybe a few hermits. Or a Lawnmower blenny if you wanted another fish. But they can be difficult to get to eat prepared foods. But it may just be Tank uglies. Your. Nutrients don’t look bad so I’m guessing uglies.
-Zack

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe cut back your feeding just a hair. ;)

I'm going to until this chaeto kicks up. Also going to get a few more turbo snails to beat this algae down before it gets out of hand. I have a few in the nano but I'm not ready to tear it down just yet. The evil banded coral shrimp can be king of the sump, but I need a place for the urchin. If I ever see that Pom Pom-less crab I'll move him to the Deep Blue Sea. He's too small to bother anything.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea yea, coral before CUC... right? Need to recoup some reef tank funds then I'm going to order CUC... we want to set up the nano again too... I can split CUC between the two tanks. We might be addicted to tank builds, and I'm tired of it sitting there with the rock in a pile. Easy to manage this time, and the evil shrimp is gonna live in my fuge.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So fuzzy... I love the SPS with PE for days. Need some Stylophora! My pretty blue stylo didn't make it... it never recovered after everything else RTNed overnight. :(

20180121_200937.jpg

20180121_202050.jpg

Oh, our Alk is at 8.4, down from 8.5 Friday night. New coral comes in Tuesday, after we get it settled in we are going to find a trend that we can dose to. I also picked up a 3rd Voss water bottle and ordered the stuff to make a dosing container out of it. We're going to use the Red Sea A B C foundation elements liquids. I didnt like the way the powders mixed up and the alk powder isn't as strong as the liquid you buy in the bottle and instead of a 1:1:1 ratio like the liquids, you have to dose a 1:3:1 ratio with the powders(don't quite understand that). All of that should be in this week so we can get a dosing schedule set up to maintain our elements. Once we get a steady dose set up, we are going to get the Red Sea trace elements and use them(and the fuge) to hopefully, go no water change.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maui hasn't eaten in just over a week, or really shown an interest in eating like he used to in about three weeks. Also, McLeod is missing... as well as the pink tail basslet, the gold assessor basslet and Sushi's mate along with the pistol shrimp. I'm not saying it's Maui, but things are starting to get awfully suspicious. I might have to set up a species tank for him... hey, him and the evil fish chasing shrimp can live together. I can't be losing fish like that, the gold assessor was expensive. WAY too expensive and rare to be a "feeder fish."

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the fish. The cuc is neat too. Your coral looks good. The pic makes the powder blue took small.

The PB is my new CUC addition[emoji23] Thanks. Yes it is around 2.5”-3”

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back