Turtle's Deep Blue Sea

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maui is innocent! Blame ...umm.. a robber broke into your house and stole the fish.

In other news Maui is already in a species only tank? :cool:

Sounds like the 45 is Maui’s... Time for the 300[emoji57]
-Zack, who says go bigger than 300

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like the 45 is Maui’s... Time for the 300[emoji57]
-Zack, who says go bigger than 300

Lol... if we get another tank it'll probably be a rimless 6' with a black stand. Kinda like that RSR 750 XXL... that's way in the future tho. No money for that kinda nonsense. Maui might have too live in the 14g with the evil shrimp. I was thinking of putting gobys in there but since he wants to go and eat fish... need a lid for that tank, very easily escaped.

Anyway, I need to move Maui before Tim or Sushi get on the menu...

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big will Maui get? I think you need a bigger boat:rolleyes: a bigger tank.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big will Maui get? I think you need a bigger boat:rolleyes: a bigger tank.

12" max... more like 10" average. He's petty much full grown. I've got an empty 40B but I really do not want to set that up as a display tank. He stayed in a 10g until we got the Deep Blue Sea cycled and seemed content. We will try the 14g out and see how that goes, but prepare ourselves for a change in the future.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought Maui would get a touch bigger.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought Maui would get a touch bigger.
I haven't held him up to a ruler, but I'd guess he's at least 8-9"... so "pretty much full grown." Sharpie marker is as thick as these little guys get, hence how he can fit inside a piece of pukani rock. Getting him out is going to be fun. We'll work on that tonight... I'm scared he's going to get hungry, and Sushi is the next easiest target. Gobys are perfect eating size, and most likely one of their natural prey fish.

Fence13

Over Thinker Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before you go through the trouble, I've had a snowflake eel not eat for 2 or 3 weeks before. Worried me sick, but then one day he gobbled up a piece of table shrimp. May try a new piece of food if you can before you go through the trouble of tearing down.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't been happy with the scape for a few weeks now. There's a giant hole in the back where the two large rocks meet and I'm losing real estate for coral/open sand bed. I'm also changing gears and going back to what I had originally planned for the tank. Acan and SPS dominated, with a few little things here and there. Like the sympodium and the zoas. Duncans, hammer and the trumpet are going back in the 14g.

I've completely emptied that tank, cleaned all the crusty algae off the glass, scrubbed and rescaped the rocks, added fresh sand, made 5g of new water and added some of the old water back in thru a filter sock. I dont have before pics... it was embarasing. The water is COLD. The RODI I had made up was sitting outside and even tho it got up to almost 70 today the water was inside my garage, and stayed cold. I'm letting that heat up before I put any of my livestock back in there. Once we do that, it's time to evict Maui and rescape the Deep Blue Sea.

20180122_201206.jpg
20180122_201215.jpg

I guess technically I could start a new build thread for this tank.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright guys, I'll keep you updated on Maui here as well, but I created a new build thread. It won't be as busy as this one, as this is my main focus. Maybe weekly updates instead of daily. Link is in my signature, but here it is for ease of use. Turtle's Miniature Moray Menagerie

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main difference between the snow flake and robins is that the snowflake is a pebble moray eel. It likes crustaceans. Robin dwarf is a fish eater. Most likely the cause of fish disappearing. I agree it needs its own tank.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm done. Deep Blue Sea is re-scaped, Maui is moved, and ticked off. So is Tim and Sushi is just kind of chilling. Tim stayed in his hidey hole when we removed the rock, and he started flailing around inside after a few seconds. Bonnie and Clyde are just being clowns, nothing phases them. Maui came out inside a rock(the one Tim was inside also), like I expected, but he was in an area we could grab him and pull him out. Of course, you can't hold on to an eel, so he fell into the tub of tank water I had prepared just for that. We netted him out of the tub, covered the net with our hand and then hurried over to the Menagerie... on the way, Maui slithered backwards out of the net and into the firewood carrier next to the tank. Yep, I now had a slithering eel covered in slime and bark. Managed to get him back in the net and back in the tub of tank water to rinse off. Netted him again and managed to get him inside the Menagerie. He found a nice hole under the rocks and is in hiding.

As for the Deep Blue Sea, the two large rocks swapped positions. The giant hole in the back of the aquarium is now filled, and the BTA is back there where Bonnie and Clyde hang out in what used to be the hole. You can't really see it all that well, but it's growing, so eventually we will. We have TONS more room to mount corals now, altho most will be mounted sideways. That's ok tho.

20180122_232028.jpg
20180122_232039.jpg

Oh, we accidentally made a forest fire digi frag... we'll add that to the two hyacinth birds nest accidental frags.

20180122_233045.jpg

Our order from Tidal Gardens comes in tomorrow. I'm out of super glue too, yay Wal-Mart trip... After that, we need to leave the tank alone and (sing like Elsa on frozen) "Let it grow, let it grow!!!"

Last edited:
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Captains log stardate 2018.23

We made a trip to the LFS with all the fish today. They had one TINY pygmy angel in stock and a tank full of the sapphire damsels that we've been looking for. We left with one of the the sapphire damsels, and got our name written on the tank beside the words 'pygmy angel.' The girl up there is going to call me friday to make sure he's eating, then I'll go pick him up.

Here's the sapphire, he's acclimated and in QT for observation for two weeks. We had to take a picture still in the bag because we suspected he'd hide after realeasing, which he did.

20180123_141745.jpg

Our coral order came in too. The pavona is fire, especially that orange piece. Man that thing is bright. All of them are acclimated, dipped for pests and sitting on my rack until I figure out how and where I'm going to mount them.

Front center, purple pavona
Front left, orange pavona
Front right, ?? pavona (looks encrusting only)
Back center, green pavona
Back left, German blue montipora digitata
Back right, green pocillopora damicornis (still ticked off)

20180123_145932.jpg

20180123_152714.jpg
20180123_152745.jpg
20180123_152752.jpg
20180123_152739.jpg
20180123_152638.jpg
20180123_152756.jpg

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't find the post but I think I remember someone sharing a picture of a bald eagle... maybe it was just a lake... from a local photographer... maybe it was @siggy?

Anyway, just saw this photo from Lake Wateree, just up the road from the house about 20 minutes. Guy that lives on the lake does some photography as a hobby. Felt like sharing, 'Merica!

FB_IMG_1516281908653.jpg
Gorgeous!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back