OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Busy week! Glad to hear things didn't get out of hand.
Cool pump, Brand/cost?
I spent a total of 8 hours trying to get my wife's I-Phone swapped out :mad: Its one of the phones that had been recalled (antenna) and sho enough it failed. I think the try to discourage you or get you to up grade.....Of coarse I did both;Meh
Reef Breeders RP-M. They were $130 (129.99 I hate that, just put the penny on there we aren't dumb) each direct from Reef Breeders and actually shipped thru Amazon prime. Two days to my door.

I remember when they had the Samsung Note 7(I think) recall for the lithium batteries exploding. That was scary. Lithium is a very reactive metal and does something similar to what sodium does when you dunk it in water... except lithium does this when you expose it to air. Air is KINDA everywhere, so when the battery cases started leaking en masse things got a bit hairy.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does Reefbreeders simply rebrand Jaebo or is there anything done to the hardware?

I know you do get support going through Reefbreeders Vs Jaebo.

I see the controllers are different so maybe this isnt a rebrand as Ive read elsewhere.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does Reefbreeders simply rebrand Jaebo or is there anything done to the hardware?

I know you do get support going through Reefbreeders Vs Jaebo.

I see the controllers are different so maybe this isnt a rebrand as Ive read elsewhere.
I would say it's closer to a reverse engineered Coralbox RN1, with US based support.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Breeders RP-M. They were $130 (129.99 I hate that, just put the penny on there we aren't dumb) each direct from Reef Breeders and actually shipped thru Amazon prime. Two days to my door.

I remember when they had the Samsung Note 7(I think) recall for the lithium batteries exploding. That was scary. Lithium is a very reactive metal and does something similar to what sodium does when you dunk it in water... except lithium does this when you expose it to air. Air is KINDA everywhere, so when the battery cases started leaking en masse things got a bit hairy.

They actually pulled the Note 7 completely because of the exploding battery and resulting legal issues. It was estimated that the losses incurred between R&D, lost sales and lawsuits was over $1 billion. I came this <-> close to upgrading my 5 to 7 when they came out. Ended up getting the 8 which is what I still use now and waiting for the release of the 10.

Although it sounds like you had a lot of potential disasters I am happy none of them came to fruition!

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to the LFS yesterday with the intentions of only getting a few packs of LRS to stock the top shelf of the freezer...

I knew that was going to get blown out the water because my girlfriend handed me my "I promise honey, I'm only going to the fish store to look around" shirt that morning as we had planned the trip to get food.

We came home with this guy.

20190727_165102.jpg
20190727_165301.jpg
20190728_204833.jpg

As you can see, he has replaced my tomini for fish with the most lateral surface area, and he may even be longer than the melanarus. The tomini is probably twice or better as thick as he is tho. Ahi is super thicc. He eats like a pig. Surprisingly, Ahi didn't bow up at this one. Nobody seemed to even care that there was a new fish in the tank.

I made sure he was eating at the LFS before purchasing. He had some kind of copper food that he uses, I understand why, but the CBB was having nothing to do with it. Tried some LRS and he grabbed a piece or two. He was in a tank with an aggressive clown that had divorced her mate... still tho, he had been there two weeks and still looks like he had good weight so he must be eating enough.

Complete and total opposite of an aggressive eater. He did not make it out of the rocks in time to eat last night, but I made sure to feed a small amount to distract the rest of the fish, then fed a little bit split in two or three more pours from my thawing cup when he came out. I saw him eat a few pieces, but did not gorge himself like my other fish will. I was probably watching him too closely as well.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to the LFS yesterday with the intentions of only getting a few packs of LRS to stock the top shelf of the freezer...

I knew that was going to get blown out the water because my girlfriend handed me my "I promise honey, I'm only going to the fish store to look around" shirt that morning as we had planned the trip to get food.

20190727_165102.jpg
20190727_165301.jpg
20190728_204833.jpg

As you can see, he has replaced my tomini for fish with the most lateral surface area, and he may even be longer than the melanarus. The tomini is probably twice or better as thick as he is tho. Ahi is super thicc. He eats like a pig. Surprisingly, Ahi didn't bow up at this one. Nobody seemed to even care that there was a new fish in the tank.

I made sure he was eating at the LFS before purchasing. He had some kind of copper food that he uses, I understand why, but the CBB was having nothing to do with it. Tried some LRS and he grabbed a piece or two. He was in a tank with an aggressive clown that had divorced her mate... still tho, he had been there two weeks and still looks like he had good weight so he must be eating enough.

Complete and total opposite of an aggressive eater. He did not make it out of the rocks in time to eat last night, but I made sure to feed a small amount to distract the rest of the fish, then fed a little bit split in two or three more pours from my thawing cup when he came out. I saw him eat a few pieces, but did not gorge himself like my other fish will. I was probably watching him too closely as well.
Beautiful!

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We got more than the CBB yesterday. A few months ago, that same LFS made a post on Instagram of a flavia they have been growing out and asked for suggestions on what to name it. A little while later he told me he liked my name and told me next time I was at the shop it should be ready and he would cut me a frag. Here it is. My picture is pretty bad, I had to get an angle on the frag rack, and the glass had a bit of crud on it. It's 3 small eyes, and needs some coloring up...

Screenshot_20190728-222853_Instagram.jpg
20190728_224733.jpg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20190727_165102.jpg
20190727_165301.jpg
20190728_204833.jpg

Beautiful fish!

If I were going to start over with my stocking the CBB would make the new list. Hopefully he will gain confidence with some time in the tank or that there is enough for him to graze on to get by.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CBB is definitely eating LRS. Herbivore frenzy is what the LFS had. I wanted to go across town to the one that keeps a better stock on the frozen food... but I got a cool copperband.

He doesn't jump in the fray with the other fish, but after the first initial "appetizer" he came out and grabbed a few pieces that made it past the rest of the fish and to the sand bed.

20190729_173125.jpg
20190729_173231.jpg

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has more of an Alk demand than I originally thought. Seems my corals are growing a bit faster with the new bulbs. The dosing pump is sitting in the cabinet waiting on me to get a shelf built inside the stand. I'll get around to that here soon.

I did hand dose some of the left over BRS 2 part the other week, and missed my mark by a good bit. I had plugged in the wrong number for tank volume. Instead of 60 gallons of water, I put in 100. My target was 9.0 Alk, but I went from 7.4dKH, to 10.7 overnight. Luckily, the tank seemed completely unphased. I let the Alk come back down naturally last week, and last night I tested at 8.6dKH. I dosed 17ml of each Ca and Alk, should have been enough to get all back to 9.0, Ca to the display and Alk to the sump and went to bed. I walked the girlfriend thru the Hanna checker tonight and alk was at 8.9. Looking at the graph, I think I have a 0.25dKH drop per day...? The 10.7 was tested in the morning before lights came on, all others were tested around 9-10pm.

Screenshot_20190729-221031_Aquarimate.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick test before work.

420ppm Ca
8.6dKH

Tank is balanced. Well, perfect ionic balance for 8.6dKH is 421ppm Ca... I'm not splitting hairs tho. I highly doubt, in fact I'm positive my testing isn't that precise. Alk was 8.9 last night, I'll get my girlfriend to run another test at the same time. I have enough of each two part for her to dose tonight to get me back to 9.0dKH.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few close ups of my 3 acros from before I left for work.

ASD Rainbow Mille(its green, I know. It's also alive)

20190730_170152.jpg

Maybe a yellow tip? Not sure, but its alive, and tough. It has come back from STN twice.

20190730_170140.jpg

Tri color, pretty sure. About to explode. Its encrusting a lot more and I can see growth on the tip since changing out the bulbs and the wavemakers.

20190730_170130.jpg

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I got my girlfriend to check the tank again with the Hanna. 8.4dKH. I had her dose 25ml each of Ca and Alk. That should put me back at 9.0, and means I should have a 0.5dKH drop a day... I'll continue testing to make sure that is correct. If so, I have a good baseline to start dosing the ATI Pro. 8ml a day should cover my needs to start.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested Alk at 0700 this morning... First test I got a REALLY blue vial and the Hanna meter was flashing 20.0... Yea, that's gotta be off, nothing is dead. So I test again, 10.7... what in the world is going on. I KNOW she only added 25ml which was only enough to get to 9.0. Test, ONE more time... 8.7. That seems close to where it should be, but how do I trust 3 different test results. Ok lest test one last time... out of reagent. Bummer. I think my syringe I used was contaminated and it took twice to get back straight. You know, she did have to add 5ml last night to each of the containers I had for her. I wonder if she used my syringe to get the right measurement. I did leave my testing station a bit cluttered. I need to clean it up so things don't get cross contaminated. I know which syringe to use, but that doesn't mean she does. That would have caused the extremely high test if it had soda ash in the syringe...

Anyway, we have new alk reagent ordered. It'll be here Friday. In the meantime I had 20ml of the BRS 2 part set out for her to dose tonight and I'll get the dosing pump hooked up tomorrow and set to dose 8ml per day of the ATI Pro.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested Alk at 0700 this morning... First test I got a REALLY blue vial and the Hanna meter was flashing 20.0... Yea, that's gotta be off, nothing is dead. So I test again, 10.7... what in the world is going on. I KNOW she only added 25ml which was only enough to get to 9.0. Test, ONE more time... 8.7. That seems close to where it should be, but how do I trust 3 different test results. Ok lest test one last time... out of reagent. Bummer. I think my syringe I used was contaminated and it took twice to get back straight. You know, she did have to add 5ml last night to each of the containers I had for her. I wonder if she used my syringe to get the right measurement. I did leave my testing station a bit cluttered. I need to clean it up so things don't get cross contaminated. I know which syringe to use, but that doesn't mean she does. That would have caused the extremely high test if it had soda ash in the syringe...

Anyway, we have new alk reagent ordered. It'll be here Friday. In the meantime I had 20ml of the BRS 2 part set out for her to dose tonight and I'll get the dosing pump hooked up tomorrow and set to dose 8ml per day of the ATI Pro.
Last time I got to the end of my Hanna reagent I was getting very off readings. My future plan is to just dump the last bit or at least use my Red Sea test to confirm.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back