OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My high school alma mater are the Demons. They had a principal after I graduated who was I guess a little extra devout, and a Furman graduate(private Christian university). Out of town guy, didn't grow up here. He wanted to change the mascot to the "Diamonds"... flew over like a sack of bricks. Whole community wanted his head. Torches and pitchforks. He couldn't just change the mascot anyway, but he backed up real quick...

He still managed to pull this carp tho...

Furman University

Diamond F-CMYK.jpg

Lugoff Elgin High School

220px-LE_diamond_logo.jpg

They've since ditched the diamond logo. This is on the athletics club website. It was different when I wad in school.

logo_outline.png

Saw this also, I like the pitchfork design. 'The Pitchfork' also happens to be the name of the school newspaper the journalism club does.

lugoffelgin.jpg

The rival high school across the river are the Camden Bulldogs(how original :rolleyes:) and every year before the rival game they have "The Dog Roast" as a pep rally for the team. We used to set a big paper dog on fire but I doubt they do that anymore...

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coralbox doser came in. Woke up kinda late today. Good thing for not being tired at work, bad thing for working on the reef. I managed to get this far...

20190810_164742.jpg
20190810_164749.jpg

Yep, walked out and left the ATO container on the floor. I'm gonna move it beside the stand so I dont bash it into my dosing container. Got the doser mounted to the stand and plugged in, downloaded the app and couldn't figure out how to read Chinenglish so I gave up and got ready for work. I'll find a Reef Breeders video later and try again in the morning. I'll do a little cable management then as well.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the Coralbox set up this morning. Once I realized you had to connect to the doser then connect it to your wifi, set up was easy. I have enough technical know how being a stinking millennial and all(technically, I identify with gen x so... xennial?)

Anyway, it's dosing 6ml split into 6, 1ml doses every 4 hours. Tested alk before i left for work and it was 8.2, one day without dosing and I dropped .9dKH. I'll continue to adjust and hopefully we get this thing dialed in now that we have a more accurate doser.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with all that OT you'll be working this week. FLUIDS! (And not the moonshine kind!)
So, I killed the bottle of key lime rum tonight. PUBG and Pirates with the game clan...

Alk was 8.8 this morning 9.0 this afternoon. I'll let it go and if I see a trend up I'll back off to 5ml per day.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate quick turn arounds. 4 night shifts in a row, 24 hours off and back at work at 6am today. My 48 hours of overtime this week, turned into 60. Yay taxes, I mean extra money! It would have been 72 hours of overtime, but I told them I had plans Thursday. They understood and said I was more than pulling my share of covering overtime.

My work schedule for August... when people ask me what I do for fun, I just say work and go home. Yellow are normal shifts, red is overtime, and if they overlap 2 days it's a night shift.

Screenshot_20190813-123536_Calendar.jpg

I slept like doodoo last night. Probably didn't help I slept from 0930 to 1700 yesterday. Yes. 9:30am to 5pm... went to bed last night at 2230, and woke up at 2ish, wide awake. I'll sleep good tonight.

Tested alk at 0400. Just before Part 2 doses at 0415. I know I'm testing at all different times of the day, so results may be a bit different. Hanna showed 8.9dKH, so we're getting some kind of stability. 8.8, 9.0 and 8.9 on consecutive days. Good enough for me. I'll switch to weekly testing on Sundays now.

Screenshot_20190813-161926_Aquarimate.jpg

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You work tooooooo much.......
Well... NORMALLY I only work 14 days a month. We're short and there's several people off this week, so there's overtime to cover. I should be off from yesterday morning thru to next Tuesday morning. I would just be sitting at the house anyway, so might as well make stupid money here. Might get new injectors for the truck, or finish my AR15(s) or buy Hydra 26s for the tank... IDK.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good choice with the Coralbox doser. Ive been super happy with mine on the biocube after havimg that same setup problem as you trying to connect the app to the doser on my wifi.

Cant speak to the GHL but the Apex has been bullet proof for me. Both the Classic and 2016 version. From what little I have seen of the GHL, programming looks to be easier with Apex though Brew12 could say with more certainty.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black Friday? Or last year? A lot of stuff went up in price this year(thanks tariffs :mad:)
Meh.... Tariffs added 10%, the currency exchange rate made it 12% cheaper. Any price increases were from other causes.

But speaking of prices, did you see that power was selling for over $9k per MWH in Texas today?

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Warning, might get long...

So, we've been wanting to load this tank with some more SPS... the goal was always mixed reef but SPS dominant. Well, we're looking like a LPS tank with some overgrown zoas taking up SPS real estate.

I moved some rocks around. Five to be exact. Three zoa rocks went in the corner behind the scape. Pink zippers, Star Gazers and Mean Greens. I'll frag them when I'm not working(lol) and place smaller versions in areas where they won't take over. I moved one branch rock that was already in the tank to a different position, and added a branch from the sump. They are to the left of the monti cap, behind Ahi.

20190813_201008.jpg

That will give me some space for a few more SPS corals in the future. I'll probably stick to digitata, stylophora and birds nest for now. Make sure I can keep those happy first. I used to have the prettiest blue stylo in my old 14g peninsula. Is there a rainbow digi? I know about the bubble gum and forest fire.

20190813_202838.jpg
20190813_202845.jpg
20190813_202903.jpg

Acros are all stressed, tri color is a 90% loss, half the unknown is STNed and the Rainbow Mille is faded and has poor polyp extension. My elk horn monti also STNed in the center when my alkalinity dropped out the bottom and hasn't recovered yet. The pavona is toast.

Monti cap is a tank tho. Pretty sure the proper parameters to keep it happy and growing are: water, salt, light. Does not matter how much of any of those, just as long as there is some...:D The back side has completely healed from the power head ripping flesh off skeleton.

20190813_201457.jpg
20190813_211522.jpg

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back