OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I liked the series. I have been reading the books. You know what they say. The books are always better. But I liked the changes they made in the tv series for the most part.
But the sword fight scenes are the best I have ever seen. I have NEVER seen that fighting style. Some of the moves are so crazy different. I have watched them over and over again. So for me it created a new and vastly superior warrior fighting style unique to a witcher. Henry Cavil did all his scenes himself. His fight choreographer has just...wow...just wow.
I am a huge sci fi nut. And I love authors who create amazing scenes like that on paper.

You know, Cavill is a big nerd, as in he missed a call that he got the part of Superman because he was playing World of Warcraft(obviously still got the part). He has played all the games, and read the books as they were translated to English. That's why when he found out Netflix was doing The Witcher, he told his agent he HAD to play Geralt. It was a character he had already done in his head.

Oh, and the sword work was phenomenal. This scene and the fight at the dragons lair were awesome.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, Cavill is a big nerd, as in he missed a call that he got the part of Superman because he was playing World of Warcraft(obviously still got the part). He has played all the games, and read the books as they were translated to English. That's why when he found out Netflix was doing The Witcher, he told his agent he HAD to play Geralt. It was a character he had already done in his head.

Oh, and the sword work was phenomenal. This scene and the fight at the dragons lair were awesome.

YES! Totally knew all of that! I had google everything about it as soon as I started watching! And I rewatched Superman.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, how about I took some pictures of the zoa frags now that I got all the algae destroyed.

20200209_214547.jpg
20200209_200002.jpg
20200209_200038.jpg
20200209_200058.jpg
20200209_200102.jpg
20200209_200105.jpg
20200209_200123.jpg

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to a one @MrWheelock, we have a new toy... hehehe. He saw that we were wanting a shiny 'nused' light, after we lost one of our A160s. He knew exactly what light we were looking for too. We didn't want just another A160, because they just didn't have the punch we were after. They are great for LPS, but not quite enough for SPS.

I know I've drug you along long enough. We got a Kessil AP700... Turtle is excited. We took a few PAR readings before and after, just to know what kind of power to set the new light up and what kind of acclimation we needed to do. Needless to say, the AP700 is WAAAAAAYYY more powerful than the 2 remaining A160s were. Here, look for yourselves...

A160 + T5

A160 PAR.jpg

AP700 + T5

AP700 PAR.jpg
2020-02-11_06.50.23.jpg
typo?
I’m at 7.0 dkh at the moment. glad I’m not the only one on the lower end lol
Me to and it's a softy tank go figure

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Actually, no. That spot is severely shaded. The right puck on the Kessil is actually just over the left edge of the top of the tower. That ledge is on the back right side and would be perfect for some LPS that like a little more flow. I have a favia there now and it's loving it. I thought about maybe a pectinia behind it.

JRC Blood Moon favia, its tucked into the corner on the back ledge. Probably less than 40 par. The Blasto on the front measured 0 par... but it's happy as can be right where its at.

20200128_153441.jpg

20200211_081126.jpg

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never really been a comic fan... always fantasy for me.
tell me that you have read Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time series...

if you’re like me, you have read it over and over and over and even have Brandon Sanderson’s autograph :)

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tell me that you have read Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time series...

if you’re like me, you have read it over and over and over and even have Brandon Sanderson’s autograph :)
You're going to hate me... but this is the first I've heard of it. ;Facepalm

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're going to hate me... but this is the first I've heard of it. ;Facepalm

Don't feel bad. I had never heard of it either. Intersting tidbit; the author was from Charleston!

Oh no! Well that just means you have a solid 6 months of reading ahead of you. J.R.R. is an absolute novice amateur compared to Jordan.

Bite your tongue, young man! Tolkien helped cut the path that many walked after him.

I'll be impressed if @Robin Haselden can get the 14 books of the series read in 6 months. I mean, if there is any length to the books and between his work, reefing and truck wrenching schedules... ;)

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't feel bad. I had never heard of it either. Intersting tidbit; the author was from Charleston!

Bite your tongue, young man! Tolkien helped cut the path that many walked after him.

If I'll be impressed if @Robin Haselden can get the 14 books of the series read in 6 months. I mean, if there is any length to the books and between his work, reefing and truck wrenching schedules... ;)
Robert Jordan is an absolute OG. Helicopter gunner in Vietnam, went on to be a nuclear engineer and wrote one of the best (who are we kidding...THE best) book series of all time. Just because Tolkien did it first doesn’t mean someone else can’t do it better :)
I’ve quite literally spent years of my life with my head buried in a book and I am stating unequivocally that The Wheel of Time is the best I’ve ever read.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he doesn’t finish it sooner. A good book sucks you in, and you want more :)

Oh, and don’t forget the prequel novel that explains the backstory of some of his characters. So technically 15 books, some of which are ridiculously long.

(I bought a couple of them from the library, but I have the complete collection)
45C8C168-5F80-44BC-8E36-DBB4659AF5FA.jpeg

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'll be impressed if @Robin Haselden can get the 14 books of the series read in 6 months. I mean, if there is any length to the books and between his work, reefing and truck wrenching schedules... ;)

Agreed with Tolkien, he was the first bug breakthrough in the high fantasy genre... everyone behind him are just riding coat tails. They may be good, but still.

Dont forget gaming. I'm a BIG gamer, along with having an odd work schedule, a 16 year old truck that constantly needs work, the wife has a 20 year old truck that needs some work here and there, 5 running aquariums...

Oh, I didnt tell y'all. I set the Reefer250 back up as the world's most expensive freshwater tank. Well, maybe not the world's most expensive, or even South Carolina's... but I can most likely guarantee its Lugoff's most expensive freshwater fish tank. The bowfront will be getting torn down(back to 4 tanks) just as soon as this thing cycles. Ammonia is down to 0.5ppm so I'm close. Still havent seen nitrite, and doubt I will with the bacteria I added.

20200209_184412.jpg

The lights are a DIY custom job I modded myself. They are the Aqua Knight 30W boxes off amazon. I switched some chips out for a better freshwater spectrum as compared to the marine one. Ignore how green the right side is, I burnt up a driver when I overheated the PCB being dumb. The red and blue doesnt work on that box, but I have another one ordered and know what not to do

20200130_150250.jpg

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Robert Jordan is an absolute OG. Helicopter gunner in Vietnam, went on to be a nuclear engineer and wrote one of the best (who are we kidding...THE best) book series of all time. Just because Tolkien did it first doesn’t mean someone else can’t do it better :)
I’ve quite literally spent years of my life with my head buried in a book and I am stating unequivocally that The Wheel of Time is the best I’ve ever read.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he doesn’t finish it sooner. A good book sucks you in, and you want more :)

Oh, and don’t forget the prequel novel that explains the backstory of some of his characters. So technically 15 books, some of which are ridiculously long.

(I bought a couple of them from the library, but I have the complete collection)
45C8C168-5F80-44BC-8E36-DBB4659AF5FA.jpeg
I have the Hobbit, LotR and the finished portion of ASoIaF(GoT)... I wish GRRM would finish that one, but he's lazy and now that HBO finished his story for him I doubt he'll ever do it.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm a little surpised that I do not see any Conan books. I mean, with you being the Robert Jordan lover and all. :p

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a little surpised that I do not see any Conan books. I mean, with you being the Robert Jordan lover and all. :p
I’ve read them, but unfortunately they aren’t part of my collection :/

I was honestly disappointed that he didn’t write 15 of those!

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little rid bit if I remember correctly C.S. Lewis and Tolken had a little spat over the Lord of the Rings and Chronicles of Narnia

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Hobbit, LotR and the finished portion of ASoIaF(GoT)... I wish GRRM would finish that one, but he's lazy and now that HBO finished his story for him I doubt he'll ever do it.
It’s the fully fleshed out magic system that sets Jordan apart. There’s some strange goings on in GoT, as well as LotR, but then you start reading the Wheel of Time and realize that this is what fantasy has been waiting for.

Back