Two questions about clam removal

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a section of my sump that has several maxima clams. I placed them on a DSB of about 15cm, but several of them have managed to attach to the bottom of the sump despite the depth of the sand, and one has attached to another. I know from experience that they will start to dissolve each others shells as they grow towards each other, so I want To at least safely ’un-attach’ the two that are together. I only recently added it and it only seems to have two byssal threads connecting it.

So:

1) Is it safe to cut these Byssal threads (not the organ)
2) How would I safely remove clams that have attached themselves to the bottom of an acrylic sump (something I didn’t think possible given the 15cm of sand in between them and the bottom!) or is it even possible?

Thanks!

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a section of my sump that has several maxima clams. I placed them on a DSB of about 15cm, but several of them have managed to attach to the bottom of the sump despite the depth of the sand, and one has attached to another. I know from experience that they will start to dissolve each others shells as they grow towards each other, so I want To at least safely ’un-attach’ the two that are together. I only recently added it and it only seems to have two byssal threads connecting it.

So:

2) How would I safely remove clams that have attached themselves to the bottom of an acrylic sump (something I didn’t think possible given the 15cm of sand in between them and the bottom!) or is it even possible?

Thanks!
I don't know the answer, but interested.
Are you using them for nutrient control?

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So:

Thanks!
I would not hesitate to cut the threads, but I would try very hard to get them as close to the end as possible. The real trick will be manipulating the clams without tugging on the byssal organ.

Separating clams that are growing together is perhaps more of a challenge. I guess it depends on whether or not the shells have already started to burrow into each other. Are the clams directly adjacent, or also 15 cm apart?

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have cut the threads of dozens of clams if not more over the years. It’s nerve racking at first but not bad once get the hang of it. Just irritate the clam enough it fully retracts, can be gentle tapping or whatever you see fit. I then take a razor blade and very slowly cut the threads keeping the blade far away as possible from the shell which sometimes is very close!

never have damaged a clam cutting the threads yet even cutting off small pieces of rubble next to the shell.

OP
OP
MartinM

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the clams aren’t attached to each other anymore but they are attached to the bottom of the sump.

The only option I would have would be to work a razor blade underneath them. Thoughts?

Is there a two fairly good size
Maximas, one’s probably 20 to 25 cm and the other is probably 30 to 35. Open to suggestions!

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If a clam is 35 cm, it is highly unlikely that it is a T. maxima.

What you do is you lean the clam to one side, cut the threads that you can see, then lean the clam to the other side and cut the threads that you see. Keep doing this until all the threads are cut. Be careful just to cut the threads, not the gland that the threads are attached to. blindly cut along the surface of the sump is a last resort option.
I would love pictures of 20+ cm and 30+ cm Maxima clams

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MartinM
I went to your build thread and see your huge clams. Nice.
I would put them on a tile so they attach to the tile and then you can move them around without have to worry about detach them. Cut the shape of the tile so they are approximate the area needed, and they won't be cumbersome to move around. (or build a cradle for your exceptionally large Maxima and Noae)

OP
OP
MartinM

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I managed to get them out with an algae scraper. No harm done!

and thanks @OrionN - I’ll try to get some more photos soon. Two of the three big ones in my sump have lost a lot of color because they kept getting grown over by macroalgae. I’ll give them some time to get their color back under the 400w halides on the main tank.

the largest one is about 28-30cm once I got it out and measured it. I’m almost certain it’s a maxima, just a large one.

Is it just me or does maxima growth slow down a lot once they hit around 20cm or so? It seems they start to thicken their shell at around that size but grow larger much more slowly.

Last edited:

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tell ya, I don’t think people with large Maxima experiences like you. I got large clams that I keep for a long time, much larger than your's but not Maxima.
Very few reefers have more experiences than you regarding this size Maxima.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MartinM

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! all that’s available here is crocea, maxima, and sometimes noae. I’d love to get a gigas as but very difficult to get CITES. Clams, goniopora, and haddoni anemones seem to love me. However most SPS…not so much.

Btw, I’ve been following your posts and contributions to the hobby since I was a teenager, and your freshwater dips felt more than one of my clams! Thanks for all of the knowledge you contributed to the hobby!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back