Understanding the IM Fusion sump

wannaheli

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of setting up an Innovative Marine Fusion 20 tank and am trying to learn as much as possible. The return chamber is the largest chamber and has an area that is under chamber 1 and 2. It would seem that the water in that area would be stagnant. What would be the purpose of an area for stagnant water? Should I put anything there? Rubble live rocks?

OP
OP
wannaheli

wannaheli

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.png
Here is a picture from the manual.

tupes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not stagnant water. It's circulating. I don't know why that area is there. I guess you could shove some rock in there if you wanted. I'm sure someone else will chime in.

Will_WhatIsThis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there space for a refugium as well as a skimmer? I’m trying to decide on the peninsula or the regular tank. The peninsula has more display volume, but if I can have both skimmer and refugium I would get the normal tank.

CubsFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get a media basket that fits in the chambers to use chaeto from a company like intank. I think that if you move the return pump around you can fit a few different skimmers. I think the tunze nano fits back there, but I’m not totally sure. You could also get a hang on back skimmer. I’ve got the lagoon 25. I only use mechanical filtration and bio filtration from the live rock in my display. Not a big bio load. Just a gorilla crab and a single trochus snail.

I’d check out the lagoon 25. It’s a nice tank that gives a little more room. The sump area is the same size as the im 20.

Will_WhatIsThis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice. I like the idea of the hob skimmer. I completely forgot about those. Then I could use the skimmer section as a refugium section. I’m with you with the low bioload choice. This tank will be mostly for coral since I plan on having it as a ultra low maintenance system.

CubsFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice. I like the idea of the hob skimmer. I completely forgot about those. Then I could use the skimmer section as a refugium section. I’m with you with the low bioload choice. This tank will be mostly for coral since I plan on having it as a ultra low maintenance system.
I think the hob skimmers have much better performance from What I’ve heard. Haven’t really kept up with anything new that’s come out.

Will_WhatIsThis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I’ve heard. Those little nano skimmers have gotten a lot better though.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze, Eshoops are both good nano skimmers, you will want and need an ATO.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes for a tank that size small increments of changes in SG makes or breaks a nano.

I am using Duetto now but I have used the Smart with good results.

Back