Unhappy gigas

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, gigas, maxima, crocea will receive thousands of par in their natural habitat, with the latter two often exposed during low tide. I’ve walked on reefs and seen hundreds of them exposed during low tide.

Fishgeek88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What was your average PPFD for that gigas? Larger gigas can capture/utilize more light, but I think it’s kinda dangerous for people to have the generalization that any tridacna clam as low light, especially among new hobbyists who have never kept a clam.

Fishgeek88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I never said low light. I said lower light compared to the Crocea and Maximas. Never measured par. Clam outgrew the tank and was given away many years ago.

OP
OP
ReeferHD

ReeferHD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
unfortunately the clam didnt make it. i waited a few more days and the mantle kept getting worse and worse, so i FW dipped for 30 mins (RODI, temp matched) i think it was just too far gone, i really liked this clam and since my crocea was doing so well i thought this would do well too, i think between shipping and being acclimated to the lfs' tank and then mine just a day later just stressed it too much.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
unfortunately the clam didnt make it. i waited a few more days and the mantle kept getting worse and worse, so i FW dipped for 30 mins (RODI, temp matched) i think it was just too far gone, i really liked this clam and since my crocea was doing so well i thought this would do well too, i think between shipping and being acclimated to the lfs' tank and then mine just a day later just stressed it too much.
Sorry to hear.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I never said low light. I said lower light compared to the Crocea and Maximas. Never measured par. Clam outgrew the tank and was given away many years ago.
Sorry, I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but need to clarify for others reading about clams. You said they need lower light compared to maxima and crocea, which is false. They can adapt to lower light conditions compared to maxima and crocea, but that's if they have been healthy and putting on new shell growth. Gigas are found right along maxima and crocea, completely exposed in low tide. I will always say this, don't treat clams as if there are "lower" light species compared to others. All of the clams that we keep in this hobby are found is very shallow waters, while a few can be found lower, they shouldn't be treated differently, unless you have the experience keeping them and know the signs of a healthy clam. There are exceptions, but those exceptions shouldn't be generalized as fact regarding their care requirements. I kept a spotted mandarin for many years in a nano system, but I would never tell someone that they are nano fish or can be kept in such a small tank, that would be irresponsible of me and most likely lead to the death of the fish for others. The same applies to clam(s) lighting requirements. I've been keeping and caring for tridacna clams since the 90's (sorry, not trying to be that guy) and the one thing that always leads to clam deaths is insufficient lighting and the lack of experience in keeping them and knowing the signs of a healthy clam. My point here is this, we need to stop thinking of clams as having "lower" light species and "higher" light species. I think we'll find that there will be more successful keepers of clams if we move away from this mindset. Again, I'm not trying to be a jerk here, I care deeply about these animals and I want others to be successful keeping them, but we as a community have to change the way we view them in regards to their care. All the information about them is out there and we can help each other, but we really need to be careful on how we pass on information and how others view that information as fact.
Happy reefing and happy new year!

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gigas do need lower light than Maxima and Crocea. They live much deeper I. The water. They don’t live in the sallow then move to the deep when they get older. They start out I. The deeper water then grow up there.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 29 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back