Unidentifiable DIY Sump design

randadesfal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers! I’ve been reefing for about a year now and we got a great deal on a 75 gal+sump at the LRS that was on consignment. HOWEVER I am completely stumped as to how they had this sump set up. any pointers would be great.
363D20A0-FE6B-4C9F-8B0A-3A6920817E9E.jpeg
07D0D9AA-4949-438F-B3E2-D34CBB6FFC01.jpeg B2CD3E5E-5218-4D83-8877-AD7018F34A80.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0726.MP4
    11.5 MB

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't even understand where the baffles are based on those pictures. A lot easier for people to see and help with a clear picture from the top and the front without the cross brace of your stand in the way.

OP
OP
R

randadesfal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't even understand where the baffles are based on those pictures. A lot easier for people to see and help with a clear picture from the top and the front without the cross brace of your stand in the way.
it would be easier if i could remove the sump from the stand buuuut it would seem the stand was built around the sump, let me pull it out and take a picture from the backside that should help

kenbennedy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does the text on the labels say? in your final image, it looks like the drain section is all the way on the right, followed by a fixed height skimmer/heater/refugium section, followed by the return pump section on the bottom left. Perhaps the top left section is for a separate drain/refugium area.

OP
OP
R

randadesfal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does the text on the labels say? in your final image, it looks like the drain section is all the way on the right, followed by a fixed height skimmer/heater/refugium section, followed by the return pump section on the bottom left. Perhaps the top left section is for a separate drain/refugium area.
minimum water level and maximum water level

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess would be that the floating box was some kind of raised refugium. Water entered the box through one bulkhead, then exited out the other through an 90-degree drain pipe down into the chamber beneath it.

But, like I said, really just a guess.

OP
OP
R

randadesfal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess would be that the floating box was some kind of raised refugium. Water entered the box through one bulkhead, then exited out the other through an 90-degree drain pipe down into the chamber beneath it.

But, like I said, really just a guess.
OHHH THAT WOULD MAKE SENSE

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks a little similar to one I built a few years ago.

Yes the floating box was either a refugium or a tank to segregate new fish or fish that needed to be seperated for one reason or another.

I used mine for a fuge. Just bare in mind you will hear the over flow trickle back into the sump. So flow will need to be rather minimal.

As for baffle number 2 from the right it's not doing anything there. Id remove that and install it back just infront of the return baffle to create some sort of bubble trap. Or better still remove baffle 2 and 3 and replace them in better locations as the return chamber is going to run pretty low.
(looks like this was designed for the skimmer hight)

You should be able to get glass cut pretty easy. But if not you can use 5mm arcrylic which you can cut with a jig saw, silicone that into place and your OK. As there is equal pressure on both side the silicone will be fine in this application.

You also have the option to keep baffle 2, fix a sheet of arcrylic between the top of baffle 1 and 2 about 2cm below the top, pre cut to accept filter socks. Then increase the hight of baffle 3 to control water height and noise, and add another baffle to creat a bubble trap just before the return baffle

You could also remove baffle 1 and 2. move 2 to create a bubble trap, increase hight of return baffle then add some sort of roller mat.

The options are unlimited really. The sump is a good size.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 36 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.1%
Back