Unscripted Aquarium

jmatt

Just gettin' started. Again.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jake Adams from ReefBuilders has a post and an article about a new gizmo called the Unscripted Aquarium Clarifier. It purports to keep your water clear by adding a slight electrical (ionic?) charge to it, which helps suspended particles find and cling to each other, where they get heavy enough to settle down to the substrate or big enough to be captured by filter media.

I don't think I've ever seen something like this, and I'm sure the big concern is how the critters will react or be effected (if at all). They say it has no effect.

Thoughts?

blackadonai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've actually tried to learn more about this device but so far I haven't gotten much. The inventor claims it works in a way similar to electrocoagulation but different in some way that he's not willing to elaborate on or something like that. I was talking to him on a reddit post yesterday but he wasn't willing to explain how it works so I'm trying to look up his patent application now but that can be a pretty long process

OP
OP
jmatt

jmatt

Just gettin' started. Again.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've actually tried to learn more about this device but so far I haven't gotten much. The inventor claims it works in a way similar to electrocoagulation but different in some way that he's not willing to elaborate on or something like that. I was talking to him on a reddit post yesterday but he wasn't willing to explain how it works so I'm trying to look up his patent application now but that can be a pretty long process
Well, I guess if I was trying to ward off copycats, I wouldn't divulge my secret sauce either.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like interesting technology but not something I would invest in personally... something about it just sounds too unnatural

Tony727

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We use ionic air filtration for HVAC systems with the same concept of binding particles together making them easier to capture. Not sure how well it translates into water though.

Moe K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Older thread but its a new day. A week ago I noticed the price dropped to about $55 so I took the plunge.
I know someone with an incredible reef tank that looks as healthy as can be that has been running one for about a year with no issues so I was not too concerned with it harming the animals. If anything I was skeptical it would do anything at all.

I put it on the tank 5 days ago and just forgot about it. Today I looked through the side of the tank and noticed my tank water was crystal clear (in comparison to how it normally is). Mind you it is a bare bottom and constantly has cloudy water issues. So far it looks promising but I am not 100% on this device being the cause of clearer water.

I checked my ReefBeat app and the day I installed the "clarifier" my reef mat started pushing about 5ft more per day and is slowly going back down. There is also one review of someone on Amazon that showed his ORP reading get a nice increase which is what pushed me to try it.

I ended up searching for more information and the best thing I could find was a reddit post where the owner shares a little more details about it. Link here - reddit.com/r/ReefTank/comments/umhbg7/microscopic_electrical_charge_to_clarify_water/

At first I thought maybe it was a tiny ozone generator :face-with-tears-of-joy:. Further reading is that it is some kind of "form of electrocoagulation". It is beyond me on this process but what I am getting is that it is putting around 5v dc current into the tank and regulated by an internal voltage meter that can also detect grounding. I would open it up but that involves breaking it. So far so good so I will leave someone else the pleasure.

By the understandably hard skepticism of this thread I will add that I am no way shape or form endorsed or associated by this company lol. This could very well all be placebo or coincidence.

Side **** shot today. 4ft tank -
393973983_236186015854002_431101884587968487_n.jpg

mangolove

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like your talking about an "ioniser" Think it is the same as a ozone generator. If your smelling a nice rainy smell it means you need to turn it down. Breathing ozone can be dangerous

mangolove

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like your talking about an "ioniser" Think it is the same as a ozone generator. If your smelling a nice rainy smell it means you need to turn it down. Breathing ozone can be dangerous
Oke so went to the reddit.. got very excited about it. No ozone device. ORP is very complicated to read. But wont get into details. Would love to use it

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 35.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back