Upgrade to a 60g cube, build.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad u looked it up and found everything

Now I fully recomend the penguin penductors as I have bought every kind under the sun and penguins are just made better then the rest its a quality product plus the cheap ones that come with loc line or whatever it's called are very cheaply made and when wear out just fall off.

If ur close to jersey I have a little giant for ya

OP
OP
Valkyrie

Valkyrie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad u looked it up and found everything

Now I fully recomend the penguin penductors as I have bought every kind under the sun and penguins are just made better then the rest its a quality product plus the cheap ones that come with loc line or whatever it's called are very cheaply made and when wear out just fall off.

If ur close to jersey I have a little giant for ya

Glad to know about Penguin penductors, that's what I was going to go with since Penguin products have been good to me in the past.

Unfortunately, I'm on the other coast in WA state, but thanks just the same!

OP
OP
Valkyrie

Valkyrie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it's been almost a month of distractions, but I'm back at it finally today.
The first thing I did today was get a better visual on how the system was originally intended. Yea, that won't work for me.

I'm pretty sure I understand the Bean Animal system, love it and I'm going to incorporate it into two other tanks. So now to figure out how remove the old plumbing, including the broken bulkhead. So far what I've found on YouTube involves fire! Uhm..no.

OP
OP
Valkyrie

Valkyrie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So. I had surgery on the 14th on my left hand. Unfortunately, I've not accomplished anything on the tank or my pottery studio! Those are the two major projects I have going right now.

However, I have been absorbing a ton from YouTube and I have everything planned out. I'm not going to use penductors on the floor of the tank as discussed early on. I'm going to completely close all 3 of those ports. I'll be running a Bean Animal more proper than the half-*cough* way it was before. I'm saving up for a Reef Octopus Classic 150 Space Saver Protein Skimmer and the Jecod/Jebao DCT-6000 Marine Controllable Saltwater Water Pump. It's just a little over $300 for the both of them, but I was put on a "fish" allowance recently and we're working to get out of credit card debt. I already have a light that will do until I get the one I want. I have 1/3 of the live sand, the live rock that's in the 29g will be going into and...get this...I'm so excited!...I got a dried rock Tonga "shelf" with a base. IT IS SO COOL!! I've wanted one for so long and BRS had a special going, I couldn't resist. I think I'll get a small container to put it in with some saltwater, a 50W heater and an airstone and get it cooking/curing.
I'll see about getting a picture of the tonga shelf soon. It's kinda heavy so I can't use the one hand to help lift it out of the box.

Last edited:

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 150 is a widely used protein skimmer if u wait long enough I guarantee u can grab a used one for cheap.

I mean besides the pump it's just acrylic ur paying for

OP
OP
Valkyrie

Valkyrie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 150 is a widely used protein skimmer if u wait long enough I guarantee u can grab a used one for cheap.

I mean besides the pump it's just acrylic ur paying for

From where? Haven't seen many on eBay for less than $229 including shipping, the ones that I've seen used want an obscene amount for shipping and I'd rather pay for new if that's how they want to be. I'm watching one that is open for bidding. The amount for shipping is a bit ridiculous but if I can get the skimmer cheaply enough I'll ignore it. Haven't seen any on the Craigslist in my area either and I've checked surrounding areas that I'd be willing to spend the gas to travel.
Any other places you can recommend I would be grateful. Thanks.

OP
OP
Valkyrie

Valkyrie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Realized I had an empty (of livestock) 20g. So put the Tonga shelf in it to start curing/cooking. Here's a pic of it.
I have no idea what I'm doing. LOL But I'm enjoying the journey.

tonga shelf in 20g.jpg

OP
OP
Valkyrie

Valkyrie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, more than 3 months since I updated. I get it, I'm slow. Here's the thing though, I'm not very experienced with this DIY stuff and sometimes it takes me a while to figure things out. Teach me and I learn fast, leave me to my own devices and I'll plod along like a swaybacked mule. I made the mistake of leaving the whole set up outside on my porch and when I saw the door to the cabinet warped, I agot it inside to dry out, that took a few weeks and the door looks fine now. So I finally figured out that there was no neat and tidy way to dismantle the old plumbing and remove the old bulkheads, so I got my trusty little saw and went to town. I ended up making a mess, but I got those darn things OUT. Now it isn't so unwieldy and I can set it on its side and whatnot to get it as clean as I want it. I can also plumb it the way I want. I'll get 8 new bulkheads, the pvc, elbows, etc., and finally get this show on the road. I hope it won't take me another 3 months to make any headway. Here's the mess as it sits.

dismanted 2.jpg
dismantled 2.jpg

OP
OP
Valkyrie

Valkyrie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so baffled by the plumbing!
The holes are 1.75" or 44.45mm.
So I need the 1" bulkheads it seems, right?
So that means, the pvc I need will be 1"?
Oh boy.
This will not beat me.
This will not beat me.
This will not beat me.

OP
OP
Valkyrie

Valkyrie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost 4 years later and the tank still sits empty. I've posted in another area why I walked away from saltwater. Nutshell: Winter storm = total wipe of 6 tanks of fish and coral.
My 2021 New Year goal is to get it up and running. I've collected most of what I've needed but one little thing is gumming up the works. I need a slip joint for my skimmer that even the company does not have, one end is larger than the other. I'm going nuts and I'm to the point of wanting to just buy a new skimmer, it may have to happen.

My 29g seems to be going ok, a couple of corals aren't doing well, but the rest are thriving and so are the 3 little fish (a clown, starry blenny and yellow tailed damsel). It was my "can I still do saltwater" tank. It's been going since July and has had fish since November.

I'm going to really try to spend time on this tank, I want it running and then I can get some of the fish I've been missing.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back