El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had posted this in another thread that was discussing various jellyfish care, but the thread has had no activity since mid 2018. So I decided to increase my chances of getting the advice and answers I need by starting a new thread.

My original post from the other thread:
So first, in my reef tank, I have a lot of Upside Down Jellyfish polyps hitchiking on my rocks, in my return chamber, on my heater (I still can't figure out how they haven't fried to death), and in my return chamber. So I get several strobiliation events every week, resulting in several ephyra floating around my tank, and eventually dieing to either getting sucked into the return, or killed/eaten by a coral...usually my aussie lords (vicious little b@$#ards, had one eat an interstellar mushroom coral recently). So, I figured I would try to save a few from the reef's wrath. So now my questions:

1) How long does the ephyra stage last?
2) During the ephyra stage, how much light do they need, how much do they need to be fed, and what can they be fed?
3) What would be the preferred housing requirements once it reaches adulthood? I don't mean in terms of tank size, more in terms of what kind of filter would you recommend, how strong of water flow (I've heard the Upside Down Jellyfish do not need as strong a flow as other jellyfish, nor do they need the circular flow), temperature, sandy bottom or bare bottom? Yes I realize that filter size would be determined by tank size, but I mean more the type like, overflow plus return pump, basic overhanging filter, canister filter plus spitter return (like the 20 gallon filters that are sold for turtle tanks)?

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm far from an upside down jellyfish expert... but I do see a lot of them in the wild when we go snorkeling in the shallows of the Florida Keys.

They do not like strong flow. They tend to gather in areas that are protected from strong tidal flow. They also will stay in open areas with lots of grassy sea floor which I think also reduces the flow. And because they tend to sit on the bottom, there is no need for a jellyfish style circular tank or 'round' flow.

They seem to congregate in places that have more nutrients in the water and are breeding areas for small tropical fish. I've never seen one catch a small fish, but I'd bet it happens. My best guess is they would do well with minimal filtration of nutrients but with good removal of nitrates and phosphates (again, just my opinion).

I don't think they would like bare bottom tanks, but that's just a guess. The 3 places I see them regularly are sandy and even mucky bottoms.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 16 20.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back