URGENT! Filter sock help

Supreme Reefs

Zoa Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just washed my filter socks in the washer for the first time but there was some softener residue in there and i see some soapy bubbles. Would it be OK if i put them in the dryer then put it straight in my tank?

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just washed my filter socks in the washer for the first time but there was some softener residue in there and i see some soapy bubbles. Would it be OK if i put them in the dryer then put it straight in my tank?

I never dry mine in a dryer just let them air dry. I would run yours through the rinse cycle at least two more time. I never wash mine with anything but hot water and bleach.

OP
OP
Supreme Reefs

Supreme Reefs

Zoa Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never dry mine in a dryer just let them air dry. I would run yours through the rinse cycle at least two more time. I never wash mine with anything but hot water and bleach.

I used to just rinse it with the garden hose but since its so cold outside and my hose is frozen i cant... i guess i can give that a try... would it be OK if i throw some bleach in the washing machine as well?

OP
OP
Supreme Reefs

Supreme Reefs

Zoa Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 - my understanding is that will drive off the residual chlorine (if there is any) from the bleaching. I always bleach+hot water then hot dry them.

Oh crap i used cold, i hope that doesnt matter... i was thinking that too since when we dry our clothes it seems like all the soap, chlorine or whatever is completely gone.

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have put mine directly in the sump from the washer or air dry with no dryer for over a year and a half with no issues. I probably end up putting them directly in the sump from the washer two or three times a month cause I don't realize I'm on my last sock. I always use bleach to wash. I also rinse mine off in the sink in the laundry room and then place them in an old salt bucket with water and bleach until I get enough to wash.

benny z

coral care giver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have put mine directly in the sump from the washer or air dry with no dryer for over a year and a half with no issues. I probably end up putting them directly in the sump from the washer two or three times a month cause I don't realize I'm on my last sock. I always use bleach to wash. I also rinse mine off in the sink in the laundry room and then place them in an old salt bucket with water and bleach until I get enough to wash.

this is exactly my practice. to the tee. 100%, even down to the using wet ones because i didn't realize i was so low. :bigsmile:

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dryer just beats the crap out of them and will shorten their life span. No need for it.

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thoughts on the dryer is that the socks are polyester and heat is not that good them, like Stunreefer said, just beats them up. Save electricity and money and just air dry. When they spin out in the washer they are 90% dry anyways.

OP
OP
Supreme Reefs

Supreme Reefs

Zoa Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone!

I just washed mine and now i am soaking them in a bucket with hot water and bleach. Friend told me to do this method. Hope this will work...

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 27.2%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 77 48.7%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back