Urgh seriously.

HawaiianReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Sarah! So nice to see you doing so much better today. Looks like you'll be recovering really quick. As others mentioned, your incisions look really good. I'm glad to hear that your moving into therapy soon. That really made my night. There was some bad news today in Cali, and your updates really settled me down. That being said, your postings of inspiration has made this site meaningful. Not just recently, but in this whole thread. The understanding and patience you give to others in a time of crisis on yourself. That is inspirational.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just dropping by to see how Boise's favorite ED Resident is mending...and you provided pictures! I think the pediatric wing would be a good place for your tank. Does Meridian still have several tanks around the hospital? It has been years but I think my friends Tim & Lori set them up and maintained them for quite a while.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am not around most of the other ones just because I am sooo busy when I do work. However with the new scientific study showing salt water reefs calm children and adults, there has been quite an uprising. I know our icu and children’s nicu have tanks as well as some of the main sections as well. Since I work in the er we don’t have one but where patients register (they don’t come by air flight or ambulance), there is a salt water fish only tank out there.

I really haven’t decided yet, for numerous reasons. In true honesty I don’t know how rehab will be to start with. Secondly, having the tank would actually make and require me to actually do something. However, getting water either rodi/ or salt would be an issue as well as cleaning it since I can’t reach specially in a wheel chair.

Today they were trying strength exercises for my left arm and it didn’t go super well. I definitely not stable when I apply pressure aka like a crutch. But I managed to hold and squeeze a nerf ball lol.

Today the left leg has been super uncomfortable and painful. Definitely feel the screws staples and rods all up and down. Ideally now because I lost a lot of muscle (didn’t have a ton to begin with), I’ve lost weight I can’t lose. At first they thought I weighed 90 pounds but then the dr wanted me with out the support cast on both legs. My arm has a plaster cast so thats not coming off but I was like 78 with other items off. So now they want me to have more intravenous fluids, but both arms working with small weights and for my legs getting muscle response back and use to moving which my left I flat out refused saying way to soon. The right I worked on lower leg and foot. Hoping the liquid diet ends soon, starting to wonder what food is like again. However they said as soon as I have a solid home plan and can demonstrate I can over come stairs, going to the restroom, feeding myself etc (wheel chair use or, walker use), then after completing min of 2 weeks of intense physical rehab I can leave. That’s of course all goes well. I did ask about the house and my tank, and kinds new the answer but my dad just said they are still there and focus on you. Love how he evades the question, I can see it now I come home and my tank will look like a toxic waste dump site. That’s not ideal, nor ahh motivating. But does reassure me things are fine, this is coming from my dad who said don’t worry about hospital care, because they can do everything except give you a small bill in the end. Every time I get a new bag of aka banana mix (liquid food and color of a banana), he says well I tou were out we could have gone to red lobster 35 times and ordered the most expensive dish. Thanks dad for tempting me with good food and I have not eating anything since the 2nd. Which is odd milk is a fluid and they deny it. I can’t see the point as a person or professional. It’s just milk lol. But yes it’s driving me insane.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the update, Sarah. Just keep on keeping on. Hopefully you will have little victories each day.

You know a lot of the LFS have maintenance accounts for people that just like to look at their tanks and not be involved with their upkeep. I think you would benefit greatly from keeping your tank and just set up a temporary maintenace account with someone over there, just until you can gain some mobility. At least you could gaze upon the world you created and get some peace of mind from just watching it grow.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning,

I have definitely been pondering the tank and physical therapy etc. A good friend said to me that the tank and I had something in common, which is we are both starting over and have to over come obstacles. Must admit it was a pretty good example. So I’m thinking if the tank is mostly the way I left it, I may as well continue and hire lfs (which already are), to do water etc in it. I’m certain I can’t life water jugs anymore as lifting a glass of water is heavy for me now. But it’s better to make the right decision than to make a hasty one and we’ll have it be a mistake.

Secondly lol I’m certain we don’t do this where I work, but why I’m earth do the staff here return items to me they completely destroyed? Not that clothes really matter at this point, but they gave me a bag with all my clothes and coats. It’s really interesting to know they cut my coat down the middle less than 1/8 of an inch from the zipper? That has me wondering, I mean glad they didn’t go ahhh what a cute coat let’s save it and not her lol, but there is a zipper that’s just as fast lol. Pants shirts etc were all cut off, which means ruined, but just throw them away. No idea why they gave them back, but some how my shoes are missing. Pretty sure those were not cut off me. Things that make one go hmmmmmmm

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Good morning,

I have definitely been pondering the tank and physical therapy etc. A good friend said to me that the tank and I had something in common, which is we are both starting over and have to over come obstacles. Must admit it was a pretty good example. So I’m thinking if the tank is mostly the way I left it, I may as well continue and hire lfs (which already are), to do water etc in it. I’m certain I can’t life water jugs anymore as lifting a glass of water is heavy for me now. But it’s better to make the right decision than to make a hasty one and we’ll have it be a mistake.

Secondly lol I’m certain we don’t do this where I work, but why I’m earth do the staff here return items to me they completely destroyed? Not that clothes really matter at this point, but they gave me a bag with all my clothes and coats. It’s really interesting to know they cut my coat down the middle less than 1/8 of an inch from the zipper? That has me wondering, I mean glad they didn’t go ahhh what a cute coat let’s save it and not her lol, but there is a zipper that’s just as fast lol. Pants shirts etc were all cut off, which means ruined, but just throw them away. No idea why they gave them back, but some how my shoes are missing. Pretty sure those were not cut off me. Things that make one go hmmmmmmm
I know for us, we are required to return ALL PERSONAL Property destroyed or not. As we prep patients for MRI, CT Scan and Surgical team, we have to cut as much as possible to reduce any more movement especially when immobilized during patient assessment. It seems silly, but protocol requires such and requires us to do silly/dumb things at times.
For the coat, if you had any chest trauma or impact to area, opening the zipper may not be an option.
I am so glad you are progressing and are able to notice these things which indicates a sure recovery ahead.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know for us, we are required to return ALL PERSONAL Property destroyed or not. As we prep patients for MRI, CT Scan and Surgical team, we have to cut as much as possible to reduce any more movement especially when immobilized during patient assessment. It seems silly, but protocol requires such and requires us to do silly/dumb things at times.
For the coat, if you had any chest trauma or impact to area, opening the zipper may not be an option.
I am so glad you are progressing and are able to notice these things which indicates a sure recovery ahead.

Hey there,

Actually thinking more we do the same thing as well just never realized it much on the other side of things. I did have quite a bit of chest trauma including my left lung was collasped so makes sense. They did use neck and back protection (spine) on me as well. In an emergency even I for example would cut the coat I have no idea if that zipper works or not, but certain my scissors do. Still on a patient side with them not knowing the process I can see where they are like (are you kidding me)!
Not sure if I have made a lot of progress, but things seem a tad better. Not out of the woods yet, but looking across the valley I can see a plain field.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey there,

Actually thinking more we do the same thing as well just never realized it much on the other side of things. I did have quite a bit of chest trauma including my left lung was collasped so makes sense. They did use neck and back protection (spine) on me as well. In an emergency even I for example would cut the coat I have no idea if that zipper works or not, but certain my scissors do. Still on a patient side with them not knowing the process I can see where they are like (are you kidding me)!
Not sure if I have made a lot of progress, but things seem a tad better. Not out of the woods yet, but looking across the valley I can see a plain field.
You know why you will heal and recover well?
ALL ALONG YOU HAVE HAD THE MOST P OS I T I V E OUTLOOK OF ANY PERSON IN ANY GIVEN SITUATION ESPECIALLY ONE LIKE THIS. YOU ARE SO AMAZING AND OTHERS I KNOW SEE THIS !
If you can be this alert and verbal after post trauma and surgery..... you are well on your way. My daughter is available to fly down as she is a second year nursing student and help you out for 5-6 days. Just say the word.

Three weeks ago when I had a scheduled weekend, I was able to get her into the chopper. She actually said its NOT FOR HER . . . LOL

memory 491.jpg
memory 492.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know why you will heal and recover well?
ALL ALONG YOU HAVE HAD THE MOST P OS I T I V E OUTLOOK OF ANY PERSON IN ANY GIVEN SITUATION ESPECIALLY ONE LIKE THIS. YOU ARE SO AMAZING AND OTHERS I KNOW SEE THIS !
If you can be this alert and verbal after post trauma and surgery..... you are well on your way. My daughter is available to fly down as she is a second year nursing student and help you out for 5-6 days. Just say the word.

Three weeks ago when I had scheduled weekend, I was able to get her into the chopper. She actually said its NOT FOR HER . . . LOL

memory 491.jpg
memory 492.jpg

Hey there,

Well I definitely got to be in a helicopter and I can say for certain those guys can make a helicopter fly as soft as a goose down mattress. When we landed I didn’t even know till they opened the side door. Wish ahh I wasn’t strapped to a gurney lol it was my first time in a helicopter.

Today I had physical rehab to learn the walker. Which means I’m so refusing tomorrow because it hurts so bad. But they put like (don’t have the words I’m wanting but), they put security straps like under my arms and they extended to a post or point above me. I get they want me to walk etc yay, but I have a broken sternum and ribs. They kept saying that this will keep pressure off your ribs etc. well I still have to breathe and it hurts but I had my mum take a few pics. In a kind way my mum and dad have nicked me officially dr crippled. They both have master degree you would think they would have better names. Like ummm (Native American version) girl with lots of screws, (American), clumsey as hexx, let’s do one from my motherland England, (bareleg Sarah) gosh anything but that lol.FYI (for aka England, American, Native American, I used them as a positive credit do to the creativity they have with names (definitely not knocking them or in anyway ahh being discriminating), I’m still kinda drugged not an excuse but if anyone is at all not okay I will delete it just let me know but I mean the names with lots of respect, besides I’m English I wouldn’t say it’s bad and I’m American lol so yeah but anyway (I’m open to better names lol).
Oh and yeah every part of my body hurts, and even wearing a shirt and huge sweat pants (think they are a 28 waist, which is huge on me since I’m 22-23,) but we slide them over my left leg and then cut off part of the other for my right leg. So uncomfortable and my mum said it was progress but she doesn’t get to see how painful it is after. So with that said I’m definitely gonna lay back down, and sadly absorb pain medicine, and not a single person is gonna stop me.

AAA366E0-338E-4B26-98DA-3E8DAE980739.png A50C1C8E-423F-4804-98CF-E750FF60578C.png

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey there,

Well I definitely got to be in a helicopter and I can say for certain those guys can make a helicopter fly as soft as a goose down mattress. When we landed I didn’t even know till they opened the side door. Wish ahh I wasn’t strapped to a gurney lol it was my first time in a helicopter.

Today I had physical rehab to learn the walker. Which means I’m so refusing tomorrow because it hurts so bad. But they put like (don’t have the words I’m wanting but), they put security straps like under my arms and they extended to a post or point above me. I get they want me to walk etc yay, but I have a broken sternum and ribs. They kept saying that this will keep pressure off your ribs etc. well I still have to breathe and it hurts but I had my mum take a few pics. In a kind way my mum and dad have nicked me officially dr crippled. They both have master degree you would think they would have better names. Like ummm (Native American version) girl with lots of screws, (American), clumsey as hexx, let’s do one from my motherland England, (bareleg Sarah) gosh anything but that lol.FYI (for aka England, American, Native American, I used them as a positive credit do to the creativity they have with names (definitely not knocking them or in anyway ahh being discriminating), I’m still kinda drugged not an excuse but if anyone is at all not okay I will delete it just let me know but I mean the names with lots of respect, besides I’m English I wouldn’t say it’s bad and I’m American lol so yeah but anyway (I’m open to better names lol).
Oh and yeah every part of my body hurts, and even wearing a shirt and huge sweat pants (think they are a 28 waist, which is huge on me since I’m 22-23,) but we slide them over my left leg and then cut off part of the other for my right leg. So uncomfortable and my mum said it was progress but she doesn’t get to see how painful it is after. So with that said I’m definitely gonna lay back down, and sadly absorb pain medicine, and not a single person is gonna stop me.

AAA366E0-338E-4B26-98DA-3E8DAE980739.png A50C1C8E-423F-4804-98CF-E750FF60578C.png

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Your stamina looks great for a day after surgery !! Dr. Crippled ???? (Yikes)
Looks like leg is well immobilized. After all this therapy, you will have a much stronger upper body and grip. Did they make you step up already?
With application of Morphine drip and Dopamine and any physician directive, you should not have felt or remembered flight . . .LOL. Sternum too ( assume Air bags got you also.)
A week from now, you will be doing so much better with your therapy and walking. Just continue to be strong. We all have a genuine interest in seeing you heal all the way and resume healthy living !!

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Way to go, Sarah! I know you are in a whole lot of pain, but moving is good right now. You have a whole bunch of people pulling for you and we are all keeping a close eye on your thread.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your stamina looks great for a day after surgery !! Dr. Crippled ???? (Yikes)
Looks like leg is well immobilized. After all this therapy, you will have a much stronger upper body and grip. Did they make you step up already?
With application of Morphine drip and Dopamine and any physician directive, you should not have felt or remembered flight . . .LOL. Sternum too ( assume Air bags got you also.)
A week from now, you will be doing so much better with your therapy and walking. Just continue to be strong. We all have a genuine interest in seeing you heal all the way and resume healthy living !!

Hey there,

I have not done the step process yet, they said next week but I’m reluctant. It’s extremely painful to have any weight on my leg and I am using my left arm more than my right (it’s hard to put pressure on it), (I know it will hold (medically etc), but as a patient I tend to disagree ,) and trying to minimize my left leg.

I’m actually allergic to morphine I cant have any thing with it or I have horrible reactions to it, including (like serial killer type dreams which freak me out), found out when I was in med school.

So keep in mind I’m still trying to put my brain and memories back in place so trying to remeber as much as I can).

the accident itself happened so fast it’s honestly hard to explain. However afterwards, it what seemed like forever phased me and I was completely confused, but have no idea for how long. However after the officer screamed at me and shined a light asking if I was okay, I told him that I was pinned in my Jeep. What also seemed forever was the first responder which I think was a fire truck. I remember one of them literally took the passenger side door off, and they completely took the top off (my Jeep is a soft top so it two latches and away it goes. (Some May be out of order here), I then remember another officer showed up to assist, and was in the back of my Jeep to see if my seats would move back. (Do to the mechanism failing), while he was there another fire fighter took over for him or he may have been a responder, but then reached from behind the seat and put a neck brace on. Which from memory I couldn’t stop crying and I don’t think they could understand me. But I was trying to say my legs are hurting bad and pinned. Then some of it was a blur but I remember they placed a heavy blanket over me, and that’s when they literally ripped the door off of the Jeep. Right after is when level 1 or code blue (severe trauma specialist showed up). I remember telling them as they started an iv that I was allergic to morphine and I’m an 0 neg and the passcode to my phone to call my parents.
Mostly after that things I know from work were happening by I don’t remember them happening. I do remember parts where they secured me on a hard board (designer for head and spine injuries), and they literally strapped me down.
What also seemed like forever was Going to the ambulance and here is where I have very hard time. I know they were stabilizing me in the ambulance, but during that process I was moved to the st Luke’s life flight. That’s when I was I think wheeled over and some person was holding my hair. The next point was all I heard was close your eyes and they said lots of wind. Then it stopped and there was that aroma of jet fuel and this flight nurse was telling me all about the helicopter and how good the pilot was. It literally felt like an in and out experience time wise. Just as I had been placed in I was wheeled out on a platform on a roof. Then I remember four to five people around me, and I was wheeled in a level 5 (where they have dr there nurses officers, a person who documents everything etc). It’s a lot of people and scary to patients. This is where I think all of my clothes were cut off of me. They kept asking me questions and even now I csnt think of what they said.

as each day comes and goes, I find myself remembering things and other days I have to ask what happened. Some tell me like my dad they literally cut my Jeep in two to get me out. But I don’t remember anything about it. I get the time line confused as well, or sequence of events even now. I don’t remember the first three surgies at all. I csnt even recap the events after I was brought into the er (until the third day later). I have been trying to piece it together and it’s pretty overwhelming. but a goal of mine is to thank those who helped me but it’s hard when you can’t recognize them or even know their name. Even as I wrote this, I found myself second guessing the time line of events or trying to place events and search for others. It would be great if there was just one person who was with me the whole time, I would be able to figure the sudoku puzzle out. I have tried to write things down as a counselor suggested, but I find my self either hiding from it or crossing things out. The time from impact to 3 days later is gone in my mind. Events are hit and miss and it’s driving me crazy I have so lost my mind. I can’t solve the equation, I can’t find the variables, what’s worse is I’m terrified to figure out what the variables are, but not knowing is making me insane. Where or what does one do when they can’t remember anything for a period of 72 hours roughly. It’s bits and pieces before and more items after but from the er room to when I awoke and actually aware, are literally missing I search and cant find them. I can’t remember the collision, it literally phased me and life paused. For the life of me I can’t solve the math problem, I can’t find the variables, solving for x means nothing it won’t tell me a or b or y. I read this five times and changed it five times and the items I did write down I found myself second guessing. As I heal and my body heals, I’m scared my mind is broken.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a mailing address that we can send cards to?

I do (not sure if I have a mail key I am not sure if it was in my Jeep or at home). (Where I live it’s forbidden to have a mail box, in front of our homes), so we have this huge metal all in one (like when in college in the dorms). I have moved rooms twice now depending on what daily events take place. My brother sent me flowers and well I got them four days later lol.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I do (not sure if I have a mail key I am not sure if it was in my Jeep or at home). (Where I live it’s forbidden to have a mail box, in front of our homes), so we have this huge metal all in one (like when in college in the dorms). I have moved rooms twice now depending on what daily events take place. My brother sent me flowers and well I got them four days later lol.
Katrina- Did you mean to mail cards to Hospital ??

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back