Uronema marinum

EddieJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, I am going to run bleach through the system for 24 hours. My QT is a 4x34 gallon system - spraying is not really an option.

The experts can correct me if I am wrong, but the most important part is everything completely dry for more than 24 hours. Meaning every nook and cranny dry and that way for at least 24 hours. I don't believe any of these parasites/diseases survive without water for very long..

MyLittleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found that equipment can hold moisture in the hidden parts/nooks & crannies we may not be looking for, and I suspect that is where some people have had failure with tank transfer methods. I think you have to take equipment apart as much as you can and let it dry. I had a piece of equipment drying for over a week and started to use it a second time but noticed it was still moist in a part I didn’t realize came off.

EddieJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found that equipment can hold moisture in the hidden parts/nooks & crannies we may not be looking for, and I suspect that is where some people have had failure with tank transfer methods. I think you have to take equipment apart as much as you can and let it dry. I had a piece of equipment drying for over a week and started to use it a second time but noticed it was still moist in a part I didn’t realize came off.
My setup is extremely simple for TTM.. Tank/Heater/Airstone/PVC fittings for hiding places. That's it, all very easy to completely dry out. And like I said, I just dispose of the airline tubing and airstone..

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

zed102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Due to the potential for long term health issues I recently stopped performing a formalin bath on all of my incoming fish. Since stopping I have had two different batches of Anthias with a high death rate in QT from Uronema. This is something that I have not seen in the past with many batches of chronic and anthias. The fish that survive QT have done well in the DT which I suspect is because the size and cleanliness of the dt significantly reduces the population of Uronema to a point where the fish can fight it off. Additionally, the DT does not contain immunosuppressants like the QT. Long story short my experience tells me that the only way to successfully get Uronema susceptible fish through QT is to prevent it from being in QT, which I believe the formalin bath helped with. My experience also tells me that once signs of Uronema are present (red sore on side) there is no effective cure and it is only a matter of time that the fish will succumb to the disease. With this in mind I am currently testing different cures preventatively in QT to see if they help. The first test is with Metro. I am using it every other day through the entire length of the QT (14 days) until the fish are moved to the observation tank. @Humblefish any other recommendations would be welcome. Since getting the bacterial infections under control with a shorter qt period this has become my number one killer in QT. If no other treatment works I will likely go back to the formalin baths while QT’ing any susceptible fish.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@zed102 Using formalin is controversial because of the risk–benefits. IME; nothing is better at clearing surface parasites & worms than a 45 min formalin bath. If the fish is transferred into a sterile QT, post bath, than dosing CP or metro usually takes care of any remaining parasites (with a direct life cycle) on the fish. Taking it a step further... I know some who are giving formalin baths in-between transfers when doing TTM, and to my knowledge none of these fish turned up with velvet once placed in observation. :eek:

The downside is the health risks to both you and your fish, dealing with a cancer causing agent. Formalin is banned in California and other parts of the world for this reason. Also, there is some anecdotal evidence that fish exposed to formalin don't live past 18-24 months.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@zed102 Using formalin is controversial because of the risk–benefits. IME; nothing is better at clearing surface parasites & worms than a 45 min formalin bath. If the fish is transferred into a sterile QT, post bath, than dosing CP or metro usually takes care of any remaining parasites (with a direct life cycle) on the fish. Taking it a step further... I know some who are giving formalin baths in-between transfers when doing TTM, and to my knowledge none of these fish turned up with velvet once placed in observation. :eek:

The downside is the health risks to both you and your fish, dealing with a cancer causing agent. Formalin is banned in California and other parts of the world for this reason. Also, there is some anecdotal evidence that fish exposed to formalin don't live past 18-24 months.
So do you feel the effectiveness of Acriflavine is less than Formalin? I won't use Formalin for the mentioned reasons but I'm curious.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So do you feel the effectiveness of Acriflavine is less than Formalin? I won't use Formalin for the mentioned reasons but I'm curious.

Formalin is better for treating parasites/worms, acriflavine is better for treating bacterial diseases. Acriflavine's effectiveness against parasites is still only anecdotal, but IMO/E the evidence is strong that it can clear brook after just one bath and then transfer into a sterile QT. However, I feel it is wise to still dose metro into the QT for 10-14 days just to play it safe.

zed102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Humblefish for the feedback. Although the formalin was the most effective bath I used, I have stopped formalin for the last reason you mentioned; which is that there is some evidence that fish who have gone through it do not survive longer than 18-24 months. I have about 12 fish that I have put through formalin and waiting to see how it goes. They are about 9 months post treatment and still doing great. I just hate to risk some expensive fish until I have better evidence that it is not an issue. I am currently using MB and Arciflavine as baths prior to entering QT. However, as you mention, it does not seem to be nearly as effective as the formalin was. Also I should add that I have sterilized the QT after both bouts with Uronema using bleach. I have read that CP has been somewhat effective against Uronema, but I have been afraid to use it on Anthias since I killed a batch using CP.

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a chromis with a couple white blotches on its face and head.
There was one chromis in the tank that had a red spot i did not bring home. Here is a picture of the mine and is this the same disease?
20180320_150549.jpg
he is eating well and very active.

Lostreefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uronema marinum:

Symptoms - These are the red sores often seen on chromis damsels. The disease seems mostly confined to damsels and clownfish, but I have seen some exceptions to that.

Treatment options - This is a very difficult disease to treat. Possible treatment options include: Metronidazole (ex. Seachem MetroPlex), acriflavine (ex. Acriflavine-MS), Chloroquine phosphate and copper. The problem is the fish can never be returned to the infected tank from which it came. Uronema is a “free living” parasite which does not require a fish host. So, going fallow will not eradicate it. Most fish seem protected from it via their natural immune system; but for some reason, chromis and some other fish are not always afforded this protection. Once a tank has Uronema, it must be assumed that the disease can survive in there almost indefinitely.

Formalin bath or freshwater dip may provide temporary relief for Uronema.

EDIT: A fish infected with uronema should also be fed food soaked with metronidazole because the disease can spread internally. Seachem Focus can be used to bind the medication to the food.

attachment.php
I think I have this in my quarantine, I have lost 3 lfs chromis with lesions similar to this. I have just started 30 days of cupramine, will this eradicate the uronema?

Biglurr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 green chromis in 50mg/gallon of cp right now. Today is day 10 in cp. One of the chromis died and had the signs of uronema.

How long should the other chromis stay in cp before moving to the observation tank. They have not shown any signs or anything concerning.

The other fish in cp are moving to the observation tank for gc and metro treatment after 14days in cp.
42102514b3b2bb5b0eee6ef6f0cf746b.jpg

Bthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've just noticed red sores on one of the chromis im quarantining at the moment. I have metroplex on the way but it won't be here till tomorrow. Once I get that I'll start dosing with it and coppersafe. I'd like a little clarification tho, this post says they can't return to the tank where they got the disease. Does that mean if they stay in the quarantine after they're cured will they catch it again?

For my quarantine I usually do prazi treatments and 30 days in copper. I'll start with copper and metro this time but I'd like to leave them in copper for 30 days and then should I still do prazi or not worry about it? Does that treatment plan sound OK?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've just noticed red sores on one of the chromis im quarantining at the moment. I have metroplex on the way but it won't be here till tomorrow. Once I get that I'll start dosing with it and coppersafe. I'd like a little clarification tho, this post says they can't return to the tank where they got the disease. Does that mean if they stay in the quarantine after they're cured will they catch it again?

This refers to a DT you cannot medicate. Dosing metro into a QT should eliminate all traces of uronema. However, there's no shame in being paranoid and breaking down/sterilizing the QT post treatment. ;)

For my quarantine I usually do prazi treatments and 30 days in copper. I'll start with copper and metro this time but I'd like to leave them in copper for 30 days and then should I still do prazi or not worry about it? Does that treatment plan sound OK?

I would still treat w/prazi after 30 days of copper + metro.

Bthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This refers to a DT you cannot medicate. Dosing metro into a QT should eliminate all traces of uronema. However, there's no shame in being paranoid and breaking down/sterilizing the QT post treatment. ;)

I would still treat w/prazi after 30 days of copper + metro.
Sounds good. Thanks a lot. Would you recommend doing a freshwater dip (I've never done one so not too familiar with the procedure) or anything else tonight since I won't have the metro till tomorrow? I don't know how quickly this kills

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good. Thanks a lot. Would you recommend doing a freshwater dip or anything else tonight since I won't have the metro till tomorrow? I don't know how quickly this kills

A 5 min FW dip, 45 min formalin bath or 90 min Ruby Reef Rally bath would all buy you some time.

Bthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 5 min FW dip, 45 min formalin bath or 90 min Ruby Reef Rally bath would all buy you some time.
Thanks. For freshwater dip that's just straight rodi correct?
One more question, since I've only ever done copper as the last medication in my quarantine routine, do I need to make sure the copper is out of the system before starting prazi?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. For freshwater dip that's just straight rodi correct?

Yes, temp controlled and heavily aerated before the dip.

One more question, since I've only ever done copper as the last medication in my quarantine routine, do I need to make sure the copper is out of the system before starting prazi?

Doesn't need to be 100% out, but I would use a poly filter or run Cuprisorb to pull the bulk of it out. Otherwise the water may cloud up (bacterial bloom).

Biglurr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish
How long in CP to treat active uronema?

Will 14 days treat an active infection with metro soaked food?

I'm struggling with chromis. They all come in with uronema. I follow the 14 days in CP then transfer. They go down quick after the transfer. Do they need a 30 day treatment?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish
How long in CP to treat active uronema?

Will 14 days treat an active infection with metro soaked food?

I'm struggling with chromis. They all come in with uronema. I follow the 14 days in CP then transfer. They go down quick after the transfer. Do they need a 30 day treatment?

Yes - 14 days worth of therapeutic Chloroquine + metro soaked food daily should clear uronema. Both externally and internally.

Where did you get your CP from?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%

Back