Using Bleach (NaClO) in a reef tank

chris124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah at this point I don't have much to lose considering I don't have coral.

danielb333

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

chris124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm going to go ahead and try it very carefully. Tired of looking at a empty dirty tank.

Royy13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful with Clorox. Now some of the Clorox regular has a polymer called Chloromax in it. Let’s just say that fish don’t do well with Chloromax. I can’t seem to find regular clorox without Chloromax or without the no spill formula. I’m not sure about the no spill stuff, but Chloromax is deadly to fish.

danielb333

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful with Clorox. Now some of the Clorox regular has a polymer called Chloromax in it. Let’s just say that fish don’t do well with Chloromax. I can’t seem to find regular clorox without Chloromax or without the no spill formula. I’m not sure about the no spill stuff, but Chloromax is deadly to fish.
Thanks for the tip. I just checked the bottle and mine actually says with cloromax! Gonna swapped it out with something else.

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you please post a link to the ingredients? I'm having trouble finding the link...

chris124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's interesting. Id like to know what everyone else has been using.

chris124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tip. I just checked the bottle and mine actually says with cloromax! Gonna swapped it out with something else.
Do you know what % the bottle was you used? I saw earlier that its supposed to be 5%. But around here I can only find concentrated bleach.

Sglinias1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once youve used the bleach with cloromax by accident is there any way to get it off the rocks or is the rock done for now?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How do you know that?

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once youve used the bleach with cloromax by accident is there any way to get it off the rocks or is the rock done for now?

Based on their patent, I'm not convinced it's a problem. That said, I don't see anything you can do to remove it from a rock (in a reef tank) if it is adhering to it.

If the rock is outside the tank, and acid wash will remove it.

Last edited:

Sglinias1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what the polymer is, but it is impossible to say whether it might stick to a rock, or even whether it is toxic, without knowing what it is. I'm also not convinced it's any problem. The bleach is still suitable for disinfecting drinking water for people.

Thank you! Do you have any suggestions on how i can maximize my chances on making sure the rock is safe to use in the tank build?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Do you have any suggestions on how i can maximize my chances on making sure the rock is safe to use in the tank build?

I just edited my post above after I saw what it was (a combination of a cationic and an anionic polymer). If it is dead rock, acid wash it (or ignore it).

If this is living in a reef tank, I'd ignore it. :)

Sglinias1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just edited my post above after I saw what it was (a combination of a cationic and an anionic polymer). If it is dead rock, acid wash it (or ignore it).

If this is living in a reef tank, I'd ignore it. :)

Just to be sure im understanding you, youre saying you believe it to be safe enough to use for a reef tank as is? I can just finish rinsing off and should he good?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back