UV Sterilizer Closed Loop Importance

Jrapa86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I currently have an 8-watt UV sterilizer hard plumbed from my sump to my DT, acting as a secondary pump to the DT, along with a direct line from a Cor pump. After reading more, I understand it's better to have a closed loop from the DT directly back to the DT.

How important is this? Does it make a big difference? Or keeping it as is in the sump should be sufficient?

Note: For some reason (I suppose due to head pressure), the Cor-20 pump (rated at 2000gph) seems to only put out about 350 gph at its maximum for me (1" PVC, 4 90 degree elbows, 4ft height - metered on an apex 1" flow sensor). I was using the UV pump in my sump to make up the difference in the lack of return flow in order to get ~10x turnover.

kbnh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I originally put my sterilizer in my sump with a seperate pump, there was visible ich on the fish

I then moved the uv into the canopy and the pump in the display, had a lot better results as the ich goes away for a while until the fish get stressed from something

in both cases I had no fish loss but their skin cleared up faster while it was in the display rather than sump

I think on my next tank I’d like a seperate closed loop just for the uv, one where the water is drawn in through a lower area of the display

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back