UV sterilizer GPH for parasites

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go much larger. I have a 25w Aqua UV and its wasn't enough on a 80g to not have outbreaks sometimes. Basically the parasites can settle and re-attach to the fish in the DT, they won't all make it into your UV.

The bigger the bulb, the faster you can run it, the more you can suck up. You can not run a 25w fast enough while still killing enough parasites.

You may be disappointed in the amount of $$ you spent. 25w isn't enough. It doesn't matter if it is set low enough to kill parasites, you need it fast enough to turn over your water volume quickly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JustinMN18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go much larger. I have a 25w Aqua UV and its wasn't enough on a 80g to not have outbreaks sometimes. Basically the parasites can settle and re-attach to the fish in the DT, they won't all make it into your UV.

The bigger the bulb, the faster you can run it, the more you can suck up. You can not run a 25w fast enough while still killing enough parasites.

You may be disappointed in the amount of $$ you spent. 25w isn't enough. It doesn't matter if it is set low enough to kill parasites, you need it fast enough to turn over your water volume quickly.
Would a 40 watt be good? Pentair makes one that is the same price as the 25 watt from Ultra Aquaviolet. Crappy thing for me would be that my manifold isn't plumbed for PVC fittings to a UV sterilizer. It's using silicone tubing to my current one. So would have to do some significant re-work to make that happen. The 57 watt unit from AquaUltraviolet would fit perfectly but it's 620 bucks. lol dang.

Last edited:

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100 gallons x 5x turnover = 500 gph. The aquauv that hits 180,000 uw/cm2 at 500 gph is the 57 watt.

I agree, these uv units are extremely over priced. Wait until you see the price of the bulb, that should be replaced yearly. I bought my 57 watt probably 15 years ago when they were cheaper. And I've got two 25 watt I bought used.

OP
OP
J

JustinMN18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100 gallons x 5x turnover = 500 gph. The aquauv that hits 180,000 uw/cm2 at 500 gph is the 57 watt.

I agree, these uv units are extremely over priced. Wait until you see the price of the bulb, that should be replaced yearly. I bought my 57 watt probably 15 years ago when they were cheaper. And I've got two 25 watt I bought used.
Isn't 500gph just insanely high? haha. I would imagine my manifold wouldn't support that, and I'd need a separate pump somewhere in my sump that would generate that. I just also have a really hard time accepting over 600 bucks. Would a 25, although not "perfect" be better/worth it than just sitting with my 15?

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An excepted rule is 3 to 5x turnover per hour to kill (sterilize) parasites. I err on the high side of 5x. Really comes down to your perceived cost vs benefit , which is different for everyone. Some people will drop $2k on lights while others use $200 China black boxes.

Personally, I got mine cheap and run it the first 12 months of starting the tank. The only way I would buy one now at $600 is if I had an ich outbreak, and could not get the fish out.

The better option is to develop a rock solid quarantine method, and keep parasites out from the get go. But to answer the question, no, I wouldn't waste money on a 25 watt for the 100g DT. I use my 25 watt on my 20 gallon coral quarantine tank, and on a 10 gallon when quarantining snails and other inverts.

Think I'm starting to ramble.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Articles I am reading say 1x an hour is the minimum to shoot for at 336,000 uWs/cm2.
That number seems to appear in 2012. Strange I have never heard it before. I thought 90,000 was good.
I've seen that different number also - I wonder, could the 336,000 be for tomonts and the 100,000 for tomites? I checked my references again, you're correct, I skipped a line in Spotte - the 100,000 is for FW ich, for Cryptocaryon, there is no number just a dash.

Jay

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen that different number also - I wonder, could the 336,000 be for tomonts and the 100,000 for tomites? I checked my references again, you're correct, I skipped a line in Spotte - the 100,000 is for FW ich, for Cryptocaryon, there is no number just a dash.

Jay
This is what I was reading, I don't see a date on it.
Cryptocaryon irritans Infections (Marine White Spot Disease) in Fish1
Roy P. E. Yanong
Says University of Florida IFAS Extension at the top of the page.
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pdf\FA\FA16400.pdf

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a 40 watt be good? Pentair makes one that is the same price as the 25 watt from Ultra Aquaviolet. Crappy thing for me would be that my manifold isn't plumbed for PVC fittings to a UV sterilizer. It's using silicone tubing to my current one. So would have to do some significant re-work to make that happen. The 57 watt unit from AquaUltraviolet would fit perfectly but it's 620 bucks. lol dang.
Do the math like you did before for the 40w. I understand Pentair is a good brand too. See if the flow difference is worth it.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity, I looked at the pentair 40 watt. Even if you drop the tank turn over to 3x or 300 gallons per hour, it exceeds the max recommendation of 262 gph for the 40 watt, and 180,000 they say for protozoans.

Screen Shot 2021-07-14 at 8.23.47 PM.png

OP
OP
J

JustinMN18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the math like you did before for the 40w. I understand Pentair is a good brand too. See if the flow difference is worth it.
I'm really trying to decide if the 25 watt or 57 watt is the one to go with.

I'm worried that 300+ gph on the 57 watt is a lot of flow in the sump... Is that not realistic? 57 seems like the obvious answer, but 25 seems more.... Gentle??? Idk. I want to order the right thing tomorrow morning from BRS and then pick it up.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back