UV Sterilizer help

reefer_evo5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys i just got a 9w IM drop in UV sterilizer for my nuvo 20g tank. I added it last night to help with some what I believe is a dino outbreak and some GHA that is also growing in my tank it isn't bad at all it only comes out in places where I don't get enough flow in the tank i have turned the flow up in my nero 3 and it seemed to help. My question is how long should i run the UV sterilizer for 24/7? or for a certain photoperiod? the instructions don't say for how long i cant find anything online saying how long it should be left on for if someone could please help id apricate it thanks.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey guys i just got a 9w IM drop in UV sterilizer for my nuvo 20g tank. I added it last night to help with some what I believe is a dino outbreak and some GHA that is also growing in my tank it isn't bad at all it only comes out in places where I don't get enough flow in the tank i have turned the flow up in my nero 3 and it seemed to help. My question is how long should i run the UV sterilizer for 24/7? or for a certain photoperiod? the instructions don't say for how long i cant find anything online saying how long it should be left on for if someone could please help id apricate it thanks.
Run it 12 hours a day and during the night. I run mine 10p to 9a

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have run them 24/7 but like said most important at night. Don’t expect much effect on GhA

OP
OP
R

reefer_evo5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small refugium set up with cheato in one of the chambers and it helped with the GHA a lot since i started it the UV is more as a preventative for anything and the dinos that pop up since increasing flow doesn't seem to take it completely away lol

BoogerDaBlenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe most UV's are designed to be run 24/7, and the manufacturer's claim for the bulb life factors that in. The frequent on and off can negatively affect the transformer in the long run from what I've read. Sterilize those microbes all day everyday!

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I missed this is your original post, so Just to add, if you have GHA is ‘probably’ due to phosphate issues, although you may get a zero reading as it uses that as a food source, so look into that and possible phosphate export methods. I use rowaphos

Also get your nitrates up if there not already, as dino’s etc love low nutrient environments and increase the flow to any affected areas

OP
OP
R

reefer_evo5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I havent tested in about two weeks the GHA is really small problem its almost all gone and cant really notice it i just thought the UV would maybe help kill the rest off. I did up the flow alot in the tank but only to what my lps and soft corrals will tolerate but there is still dinos ill test this weekend with my water change and see where im at thank you for the help.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I havent tested in about two weeks the GHA is really small problem its almost all gone and cant really notice it i just thought the UV would maybe help kill the rest off. I did up the flow alot in the tank but only to what my lps and soft corrals will tolerate but there is still dinos ill test this weekend with my water change and see where im at thank you for the help.
Your welcome, I don’t think the UV will make any difference at all to the GHA, it only kills what goes through it.

You could maybe try pulling it out if there’s only a small amount, but just check the phosphate, it causes all sorts of issues we read about.

BoogerDaBlenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much flow through the UV? Manufacturer recommendations didn't work for me when I had dinos. Once I slowed it down to 1-3x tank volume turnover it disappeared. So on your tank you should be pumping 20-60 GPH. I'm not familiar with the sterilizer you have, so not sure if you can change the pump and slow the flow or not.

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive always ran mine 24/7. one less thing to turn off n on plus they r designed to run 24/7 and it does nothing to ele. bill. if it has a filter keep it clean. im useing the green monster. good luck n give it a while to catch up if you just installed it

OP
OP
R

reefer_evo5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive always ran mine 24/7. one less thing to turn off n on plus they r designed to run 24/7 and it does nothing to ele. bill. if it has a filter keep it clean. im useing the green monster. good luck n give it a while to catch up if you just installed it
awsome thanks for the help!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back