UV sterilizer or algae scrubber

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go with the algae scrubber then..
If you’re dedicating a specific location for algae to grow i.e. the scrubber. You will limit the amount of algae growing elsewhere..

A strong Copepod population will help by eating nusanic algae before it becomes visible on glass or rocks..

UV is something that you should run after the tank is a little more established

OP
OP
W

Weyou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got pics of the sump?

IMG-20191218-WA0010.jpg

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so as stated wait on the UV if ever. I don't see how you could plumb one and get the flow right, and flow is very important for UV.

I disagree with adding a algae scrubber at a later date if you fully intend to add one. I added one at the beginning because I intended to, and do feed, heavy.
spacing is a problem, unless you do a HOG scrubber. plan on adding a timer and an air pump.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my two cents

Run the UV FIRST then the Scrubber.

Run the UV after the tank is cycled and your first fish are in it. Or plumb it in and have it off till you add your first fish. After your first fish go in your going to start to develop Diatoms and algae. This is the time to start running the UV. it will help minimize the Diatoms. But to be honest just let them happen. You need them as part of the cycle to clean out silicates. Once the silicates are consumed the Diatoms will go away.

The reason you want the UV up and running before the scrubber is because once the scrubber gets up and running it will suck all the PO4 and NI out of your system. This is a prime environment for Dinos to start. A UV will help keep those Dinos under control. UV compliments a Algae scrubber nicely for this reason. You are going to an Ultra Low nutrient system with a scrubber running. Till you get it dialed in the UV will help buffer things and keep the tank running clear.

OP
OP
W

Weyou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so as stated wait on the UV if ever. I don't see how you could plumb one and get the flow right, and flow is very important for UV.

I disagree with adding a algae scrubber at a later date if you fully intend to add one. I added one at the beginning because I intended to, and do feed, heavy.
spacing is a problem, unless you do a HOG scrubber. plan on adding a timer and an air pump.
i plan to add an algae reactor outside the tank-like tunze algae reactor, the picture isn't so clear, so i post this morning picture, i don't know why i need to add an air pump, and why a timer?

OP
OP
W

Weyou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my most significant debate is to add an algae reactor and down the road the UV or just the opposite

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the cycle process, and i will start with fish, and later corals only hardy corals ( hardy by mean easy to grow) down the road, I open to any kind of corals. my goal is a visual appeal as possible, don't want to use any chemicals
Chemicals *periodic table *chemical elements no4 po4 stuff like that?

GeoSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my most significant debate is to add an algae reactor and down the road the UV or just the opposite
An Algae Reactor is different from an Algae Scrubber. Reactor uses macro algae, scrubber micro algae.

metroraindrop99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After seeing the bulk reef supply videos, i am in the debate between those two methods
my gold is like everybody here avoid any kind of algae in my tank. But don't know what to choose because I am in a budget.
I run both in my reef tank. If you’re trying to keep outbreaks of diseases and infection like ick low, You’ll have to run a UV Sterilizer at a very low flow rate and it will have absolutely no impact on algae. If you’re looking for Algae control the flow rate to the UV will be much higher. Keeping in mind that a UV sterilizer doesn’t kill anything, it simply sterilizes the organisms so that it cannot replicate. Thus reducing algae. In my case I run the UV Sterilizer with my light cycle and Algae turf scrubber when my light are off. The algae doesn’t grow as fast as it would if I didn’t run the sterilizer but it grows enough t to stabilize my PH and I run an ultra low nitrate and phosphate SPS system. It’s really all in what you want to achieve.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After seeing the bulk reef supply videos, i am in the debate between those two methods
my gold is like everybody here avoid any kind of algae in my tank. But don't know what to choose because I am in a budget.
You cannot avoid algae. Reef aquaria are perfect habitats for algae.

I have never heard of UV use as a way to eliminate algae. Nor does an algae scrubber. It can reduce the nitrate concentration but under vigorous growth, it can strip the water of some trace elements.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 46 28.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 28.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.0%
Back