VELVET HELP!

akurt928

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a velvet outbreak 8 weeks ago today that killed off all my fish unfortunately, I’ve been fallow since then but for some reason had a green hair algae outbreak as well as spikes in ammonia, my phosphates , alk, cal, nitrates, ph are all well within recommended ranges I’ve been able to take care of the ammonia but still have trouble with the green hair algae. I really want to start getting fish back in, mainly a lawnmover blenny to help out with the GHA, just dont know if its too soon? Any suggestions? I have a cleanup crew at the moment with snails & emerald crabs but not sure if its ok to add fish yet.HELP

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a velvet outbreak 8 weeks ago today that killed off all my fish unfortunately, I’ve been fallow since then but for some reason had a green hair algae outbreak as well as spikes in ammonia, my phosphates , alk, cal, nitrates, ph are all well within recommended ranges I’ve been able to take care of the ammonia but still have trouble with the green hair algae. I really want to start getting fish back in, mainly a lawnmover blenny to help out with the GHA, just dont know if its too soon? Any suggestions? I have a cleanup crew at the moment with snails & emerald crabs but not sure if its ok to add fish yet.HELP
If you are asking if 8 weeks of a fishless system is long enough to reintroduce fish after starving out marine velvet, The answer is maybe not. This may come down to the temperature average in your tank over that.... It's green hair algae, Wash your hands get elbow deep and pull a bunch out.
Velvet SUCKS. Right now you have the perfect opportunity to have the fish you are going to replace them with in quarantine and medicating before reintroducing to your display.

After being a fallow for 8 weeks, Go slow. Be patient. Below 80 degrees, hit 72 days.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a QT? If so, run the fish through QT now and then it would be adequate time to start acclimating fish. You don't want to add fish directly to your display because you could possibly jump start the another parasite issue. That would suck since you went through the trouble of running fallow for 8 weeks.

Like mention above @Lost in the Sauce, take the time to clean up the tank while you QT the fish.

Best of luck!

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

8 weeks is enough for velvet, however if I were you I would go ahead and do the 72 days in case there was any ich mixed in with it. That's only another 12 days.

As for algae - don't even sweat it. It may not look the best, but it's actually doing some great filtering of your water. You can always later use something like vibrant if you really need, but it's by no means a reason to rush fish back into your tank. They aren't going to make a large difference anyway.

Have your quarantined your new additions?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back