Velvet treatment

Melinda01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to thank everyone for the help, kindness, and quick responses to my velvet outbreak. The three remaining fish have been moved to a 55 gallon hospital tank for treatment following a 5 minute fw dip and 1 hour paraguard bath. The DT fallow period begins today.
I plan to QT (and profolactally treat) a couple clowns in a separate 10gallon hospital tank during this time. I also want to add some coral. If I do a dip and confirm that the coral comes from a fishless set up does the 76 day clock start over?
Wish me luck! I can’t thank you all enough!! I tried tagging everyone but for some reason it wouldn’t come up. I’m new to forums as well but you know who you are.

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To my knowledge yes, the 76 day clock restarts for every new piece you add. Glad you are moving in the right direction going forward! Oh, and Welcome to Reef2Reef!

@Humblefish or @Maritimer or @4FordFamily sound familiar?[emoji6] If not you can always tag #reefsquad and the members will see it.
-Zack, who isn’t that important

OP
OP
Melinda01

Melinda01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To my knowledge yes, the 76 day clock restarts for every new piece you add. Glad you are moving in the right direction going forward! Oh, and Welcome to Reef2Reef!

@Humblefish or @Maritimer or @4FordFamily sound familiar?[emoji6] If not you can always tag #reefsquad and the members will see it.
-Zack, who isn’t that important
Thanks! Yes, you got it! Thanks! Big G was also a big help! ;)

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to thank everyone for the help, kindness, and quick responses to my velvet outbreak. The three remaining fish have been moved to a 55 gallon hospital tank for treatment following a 5 minute fw dip and 1 hour paraguard bath. The DT fallow period begins today.
I plan to QT (and profolactally treat) a couple clowns in a separate 10gallon hospital tank during this time. I also want to add some coral. If I do a dip and confirm that the coral comes from a fishless set up does the 76 day clock start over?
Wish me luck! I can’t thank you all enough!! I tried tagging everyone but for some reason it wouldn’t come up. I’m new to forums as well but you know who you are.
Melinda,
If you add the coral to your DT, yes restart the 76 day clock(I would never recommend going off someones word that they didn't have it with fish). @Humblefish has a great write up in the sticky threads about coral and invert QT times. Now, if you set up a separate bin or fishless tank to QT coral, each individual piece just needs it's own 76 day fallow period. Meaning if you have a coral that has been fallow for 60 days and you add a new coral on day 60 to the same coral QT, you can still remove the original coral 16 days later and transfer to DT. Thoroughly rinse with DT water and or dip to make sure you don't transfer any free swimmers. Then the newly added coral would need to remain for another 60 days to finish it's 76 day fallow period. Sorry for being long winded. Hopefully this makes sense.

OP
OP
Melinda01

Melinda01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Melinda,
If you add the coral to your DT, yes restart the 76 day clock(I would never recommend going off someones word that they didn't have it with fish). @Humblefish has a great write up in the sticky threads about coral and invert QT times. Now, if you set up a separate bin or fishless tank to QT coral, each individual piece just needs it's own 76 day fallow period. Meaning if you have a coral that has been fallow for 60 days and you add a new coral on day 60 to the same coral QT, you can still remove the original coral 16 days later and transfer to DT. Thoroughly rinse with DT water and or dip to make sure you don't transfer any free swimmers. Then the newly added coral would need to remain for another 60 days to finish it's 76 day fallow period. Sorry for being long winded. Hopefully this makes sense.
Long winded is fine by me. Lol. I’ll take all the advise I can get! Thanks! I just ordered some lights for the DT so that I can add the coral while it is fallow. Trying to get it set up as soon as I can so that my remaining fish don’t have to be in a hospital tank forever! Going to order some coral, serpent star, and a tiger cucumber soon so that hopefully I can have everything done by the time the fish are ready to come back home. Then they’ll just have to wait a couple more weeks after their 76 days are up so that the corals and inverts have their 76 days as well. Also, I have ordered medicoral dip for the corals

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back