Viparspectra 300w par measurements

  • Thread starter Thread starter AvidReefer
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

AvidReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 2, 2022
Messages
48
Reaction score
53
Location
the earth
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a viparspectra 300w and am wondering what the best settings are (channel intensities, height over the water, all that) and if anybody have taken par measurements for it.
Also, is there a practical accurate conversion from lux to par?
 
14" above water on a standard 125. Whites make it jump up tremendously so 1% will add a good bit of par and so on.
20220617_211012.jpg
20220617_212001.jpg
 
Got a viparspectra 300w and am wondering what the best settings are (channel intensities, height over the water, all that) and if anybody have taken par measurements for it.
Also, is there a practical accurate conversion from lux to par?
Conversion factor from lux to par depends on the spectrum.
Daylight divide by 55
Pure blue divide by like 9.

.0256 x lux for red blue
white hort. ( Or divide by 39)
.115 x lux for pure 450bm blue. ( Or divide by 8.7)
.013 x lux for 6500k white LEDs. (Or divide by 76.9)

As examples . As a guess I'd divide by 30-40 as long as you were running some whites
 
14" above water on a standard 125. Whites make it jump up tremendously so 1% will add a good bit of par and so on.
20220617_211012.jpg
20220617_212001.jpg
Thanks! I take it it's well worth the jump to 14" above the waterline? I see a lot of people doing it but am only running at 6" above because of the huge amount of light the bleeds over the sides of the tank.
 
14" above water on a standard 125. Whites make it jump up tremendously so 1% will add a good bit of par and so on.
20220617_211012.jpg
20220617_212001.jpg
Thanks! I take it it's well worth the jump to ~12" above the waterline? I've seen a lot of people doing it but am only running at about 6" above because of the amount of light the bleeds over the sides of the tank.
 
Thanks! I take it it's well worth the jump to ~12" above the waterline? I've seen a lot of people doing it but am only running at about 6" above because of the amount of light the bleeds over the sides of the tank.
There is a lot of light bleed but I don't mind...perhaps an attachment of a shade or something like a floating canopy would be in order if it did. I also angle my lights back toward the tank. The 14" makes it blend like a t5 IMO.
 
There is a lot of light bleed but I don't mind...perhaps an attachment of a shade or something like a floating canopy would be in order if it did. I also angle my lights back toward the tank. The 14" makes it blend like a t5 IMO.
I would love that! The shadowing is kind of severe right now. The canopy idea intrigues me...
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 22 19.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 32.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new