Watchman Eating Cleanup Crew?

Opes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hard time keeping a clean up crew. I really think this dude is the culprit. Snails, crabs, shrimp, etc. all seem to come up missing rather quickly. I have seen him drag hermits and snails into his hole. He leaves my conch and cleaner shrimp alone but I think he looks at everything else as a meal. He has even tried to eat a small clown and a small damsel. Anyone else have this problem? I would like to add another goby or two but think they will probably have the same fate.
20201227_211713.jpg

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a watchman type goby, but I do have a diamond goby...model citizen and never goes after another fish. He will pick up snails and spit them out of his way occasionally.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My algae blenny hates snails. He hates it when they climb on "his" rocks.
He's very protective of his algae sources. He swims around the rocks and will pull any snails he finds, off the rocks and flips them over into the sand bed. If they can't right themselves, they die pretty quickly under his constant watch.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They don't really have the ability to remove a snail from its shell and eat it, but they will use snails as building materials. Try giving him a lot of small, easily grabbed rubble bits instead.

Gobies are territorial. Don't add anything that's shaped like him and acts like him.

Sharebear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow watchman goby and orange spot goby. Both of these guys sorta get along but don’t hang out together.

they can’t fit my snails in their mouth... but I’ve seen them put dwarf cerith a bunch of them and spit them back out... alwyas cracks me up.

Could be because he’s hungry? Normally my cleanup crew stays on the sand but sometimes they will swim upwards to eat the frozen food when they are desperate from what I’ve read..

you can try spot feeding him to see... I mean normally I working eat.. certain type of food... but if I’m hangry enough, GG.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Both of those gobies should be fed proper food, you shouldn't be expecting them to feed off of scavenging.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back