Water Change Idea

sundog101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m having trouble finding an auto water change system that fits what I need and is within budget… so I have another idea. If anyone has heard of the Reefloat, it is essentially an airtight water storage bin. You add your saltwater and run two hoses to your tank. A pump pumps water out the bin and the pressure difference pulls water back in. It circulates the water (yes it mixes the new water and old water) and you let it run for awhile before removing it. Some water is wasted, but not a whole lot.

https://reefloat.myshopify.com/
1636845036499.jpeg

So my idea is to have something like this next to my sump that slowly circulates the water, basically adding say 20 gallons to my system volume. Then once a month, swap out the water. I’m thinking this would have the benefit of a slow continuous water change without have to mess with dosing pumps, calibration, etc.

I’m thinking about getting an airtight container with a small diaphragm pump (I think that would be easiest to keep sealed so there‘s no cords to deal with). Also would add a backup float switch in case the seal would break. Any thoughts? Concerns?

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. Hadn’t thought of this so following along

elcapitan1993

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think it would work and I hear the reef float is a good “semi auto water change” system, but wouldn’t it be easier to buy 2 continuous duty pumps? Also seems like it would be cheaper but I have no idea how much it would cost to build what your suggesting but the reef float is quit expensive

OP
OP
sundog101

sundog101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m working on getting the parts now… I’ll post an update once everything is put together.

I think it would work and I hear the reef float is a good “semi auto water change” system, but wouldn’t it be easier to buy 2 continuous duty pumps? Also seems like it would be cheaper but I have no idea how much it would cost to build what your suggesting but the reef float is quit expensive
It very well could be… I’ll see how it goes.

OP
OP
sundog101

sundog101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been crazy busy over the past month, but its slowly starting to come together. Here’s a diagram that shows the plan... it’s a little more complicated than I initially wanted it. However, I’d really like to be able to drain and fill the tank without moving buckets/trash cans of saltwater.
238FA9D0-DCE1-4D28-812C-5F01696FA9CB.png

The drain line will have to be really long (has to go all the way out to a gravel driveway). I’m not sure if it will drain all the way due to the length of the line, so I’m thinking about adding an air pump to pressurize the tank and help it drain. Alternatively, I could make another tee off the “water pump” intake line, as its a diaphragm pump rated for gases and liquid. Then I could just have that pump pressurize the tank.

It’s not quite done yet, so if you see any fatal flaws feel free to let me know!!

Inajam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been crazy busy over the past month, but its slowly starting to come together. Here’s a diagram that shows the plan... it’s a little more complicated than I initially wanted it. However, I’d really like to be able to drain and fill the tank without moving buckets/trash cans of saltwater.
238FA9D0-DCE1-4D28-812C-5F01696FA9CB.png

The drain line will have to be really long (has to go all the way out to a gravel driveway). I’m not sure if it will drain all the way due to the length of the line, so I’m thinking about adding an air pump to pressurize the tank and help it drain. Alternatively, I could make another tee off the “water pump” intake line, as its a diaphragm pump rated for gases and liquid. Then I could just have that pump pressurize the tank.

It’s not quite done yet, so if you see any fatal flaws feel free to let me know!!
Like the idea, is there some where I can click to follow this thread

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back