Water change?

marineman2323

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I’m new to saltwater, I have 2 clowns and I used the fritz turbo start. It’s been running for about 10 days now with zero ammonia and little nitrates. When should I actually do my first water change?

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having 5 ppm nitrates is a good sign that the ammonia and nitrites are properly cycling. What is your Nitrite reading?

Part of the reason for the water changes is to remove the bad things (nitrates and phosphates) and replenish the good stuff. Not much advantage to changing water yet.

OP
OP
M

marineman2323

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having 5 ppm nitrates is a good sign that the ammonia and nitrites are properly cycling. What is your Nitrite reading?

Part of the reason for the water changes is to remove the bad things (nitrates and phosphates) and replenish the good stuff. Not much advantage to changing water yet.
I have the drops for ammonia and nitrates tests but I only have strips for nitrites as of now. I heard they are not the most accurate but it’s reading 0 I believe.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t worry about Nitrites. If you are getting Nitrates then bacteria has built up to take care of the Nitrates.

Ammonia is the most important thing to get of now.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the first year of a new system, I like to do a 10% water change once per week to aid stability of the waters.
Once my chemistry has demonstrated high predictability and stability, (for me is about 6-12 months), then I use nitrates as my guide. When they start to build beyond 10ppm, then I consider a water change.

Back