Water temperature...

Mantis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a cube that is enclosed so I bought a chiller for it.. It's a JBJ artica and factory setting is 77 so I keep it on that.

Just until recently, Florida wheather has been colder so I had to get a heater for my frag tank... This is keep at 79... Notice frags looking better than normal...

Read online that 79 is a good number... Just wondering if I should stay at JBJ 77 in my cube?

So what is everyone set at?

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stay around 78 degrees most of the time, and actually just raised it to between 78-79. I think 77 is just one degree too close to 75-76 range, which IMO is a little cold. I've been having heater issues all winter, hopefully its good for the rest, as its been cold here this winter.

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my reef in between 79 and 82 degrees. I believe it is much better to have fluctuation in temperature than to hold it at a constant temp all the time.

josepy1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my reef in between 79 and 82 degrees. I believe it is much better to have fluctuation in temperature than to hold it at a constant temp all the time.
i disagree like ph or alk or calcium, corals do not like any kind of swings. The stabler you keep things the better.

Michael7979

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with keeping things stable.
But- in nature some corals are at the mercy of nature by being in smaller areas where the tide goes in and out. Which in turn causes the temperture to swing.

But with that said. Try to keep everything as stable as possible.

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think of it this way, in the oceans of the world temps can swing by a few degrees in shallow waters just because of the weather.

IMHO I would rather have a reef that is used to temp swings just in case of the off chance that something go's wrong. Hopefully if it ever happens to me I am being vigilant enough and see the problem before it gets out of hand. Chances of me seeing it before it does get out of hand are slim but hey wishful thinking right?

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It takes a lot for raise and lower the temp for a mass of water like that. I would think that temp swings are there, but not daily. Of course it might a tad colder in the winter months, but I can't see the ocean, even shallow parts, swing in temp like our tank can.

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I keep my tank at 77 - 78 deg. Just ime that's all. It really depends on how your reef does at the temp . It really is a personal thing I think .

Dave3112

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to keep mine around 76-77. But during this summer It got really hot here and the AC couldn't keep up and I don't run a chiller so the tank temp got to 80-81 for a week or so and I noticed that the corals actually looked better! So I started letting the tank run a little higher temp and the growth of my SPS really took off. So needless to say I keep it at 78-80 degrees now.

jabberkaycee

Aquatic Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine set by the controller so the range is 79.7 - 80.3. This is the temp I've ran for a long time and seems to work well.

OP
OP
M

Mantis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input eveyone...Going to take picture/video cube tomorrow... And then change the chiller temp. Stay with the same husbandry and see what happens... Thanks again everyone...

raymond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found that the best results that i get are when i keep the temp stable, i keep my tank at 78 degrees. I think this aplies to most things we do with our reef tanks.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 26.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back