AndrewG99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just placed an order for a waterbox 100.3 that is going to be replacing my Fluval Evo 13.5. this is going to be my second reef tank so I still feel pretty inexperienced, because of this I wouldn't mind your guys help with suggesting what you would stock the tank with if it was yours. it's going to be a mixed reef and I'm looking for a nice mix of colour full fish.
Thank you in advance for any suggestions you may have.

Palegic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a new build I would be more concerned with the equipment needed and sizing it appropriately vs what I did on a previous build. That being said I would lean towards species my tank had success with in the past. I always like a heavy mix of zoas, mushrooms, ricordia as there are some super colorful types and they propagate well. LPS various acan gardens would be nice, some duncans, and a handfull of Euphillia. SPS both birdsnest and Monti have been extremely successful for me so I would lean toward those.

As far as fish. I like to keep a relatively small amount. I tend to lean toward fish that help clean the tank like tangs, and gobies. Above all else the easier things are the more likely you are to be successful. So, having fish naturally do the work is in my opinion a fantastic option.

Keep the CUC small. 15 hermits or so, roughly the same amount of snails, and a shrimp. I am a firm believer in a smaller CUC. I would rather feed less and maintain a small CUC then feed more and try to match the CUC to my feeding.

OP
OP
AndrewG99

AndrewG99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a new build I would be more concerned with the equipment needed and sizing it appropriately vs what I did on a previous build. That being said I would lean towards species my tank had success with in the past. I always like a heavy mix of zoas, mushrooms, ricordia as there are some super colorful types and they propagate well. LPS various acan gardens would be nice, some duncans, and a handfull of Euphillia. SPS both birdsnest and Monti have been extremely successful for me so I would lean toward those.

As far as fish. I like to keep a relatively small amount. I tend to lean toward fish that help clean the tank like tangs, and gobies. Above all else the easier things are the more likely you are to be successful. So, having fish naturally do the work is in my opinion a fantastic option.

Keep the CUC small. 15 hermits or so, roughly the same amount of snails, and a shrimp. I am a firm believer in a smaller CUC. I would rather feed less and maintain a small CUC then feed more and try to match the CUC to my feeding.
Thanks, I'm going to be fragging most of my current corals and moving them into the new build but because my previous tank was so small I didn't get much experience with the fish side, all I had was a pair of clownfish.

Back