Waterbox 70.2 Platinum Reef Build

Tripptastic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quick little background on me. I live in the Tampa area and have had a saltwater aquarium for about 3 years now, nothing fancy at all. They were both very simple set ups with a canister filter, running a FOWLR tank. I have been itching to grow up and get a reef-ready tank, sump and start my very first reef tank.

I forewarn you now, this will be a very slow build as I work a lot and don't have an unlimited source of income to finance my hobby, but I don't let that get me down. Most of the equipment I will be using will be from my other two tank builds and over time, I'll upgrade as needed. As a side note, I have never done a build thread so please be patient with me. I will be looking for any ideas, advice and I take constructive criticism well.

With that being said, my new tank is being delivered tomorrow between 10am and 2pm! I'm off tomorrow and I feel like a kid on Christmas morning.

I have been looking for some type of plug and play system for the past few months. I have done countless hours of research on many brands: Read Sea, specifically the Reefer line, Innovative Marine, both INT and EXT Nuvos and I almost pulled the trigger on a Lifetime Aquarium from Custom Aquariums.

I have seen many debates about the pros and cons of each the tanks above and I was really torn and as luck would have it, I came across a company that like many of you, I never heard about, WaterBox. I have read every thread pertaining to this company and seen every video on YouTube about all their tanks in circulation. After visiting their website, they had a tank I fell in love with right away, the 70.2. This is part of the Generation 2 line (2018 models) and I fell in love with the 24x24 footprint and a cabinet height of 36". I wanted to see and test their quality so I ordered a Cube 10 from Waterbox. I fell in love with the attention to detail they put in such a small AIO tank. So, I ordered the 70.2 as soon as BRS listed it on their webpage. (Order was placed with BRS on 13 June. Tank was ordered from Waterbox on 22 June. The tank was picked up on 27 June and R+L Carriers contacted me on 28 June to schedule delivery.)

I will be taking a TON of quality pictures tomorrow from the packaging, uncreating, and setting up of the tank and stand so that other people who are curious about this tank can see it from every angle.

I have seen that most people who start their tank build thread have all the equipment and rock already staged, waiting for the tank, but sadly my work schedule has gotten in the way that I'm behind the power curve, big time.

BRS hasn't had Pukani rock available on their website for a while now so I don't have enough rock to start. The few pieces I have would look silly in a tank this size, consider my other two tanks were only 29 gallons with small dimensions. I did find a local company that sells Dry Pukani in Tampa, Tampa Bay Saltwater. I emailed them last night and got an automatic reply back right away saying the owner is away in the Bahamas for the upcoming holiday week and no orders will be filled until the 7th of July. Good sir, you'll be seeing be me you return from your vacation!

So with that all being said, if anyone has any tricks, tips or advice for this build thread I would love to hear what you have to say. I'm sure there are a few people here, who like me, have been looking for more information about this company and would love to see more pictures and videos of their new line. Hopefully I will be able to help answer any questions you might have.

Stay Tuned...

OP
OP
Tripptastic

Tripptastic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shop for what exactly? I purchase most of my supplies and equipment online from various venders who will offer me the best price but picking up livestock, I go to Marine Warehouse. They do tend to have the best deals on RedSea salt.

Last edited:

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that's what I was curious about. Tampa has so many shops to choose from, always wondering which people shop where.

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you picked a fantastic tank! Down the road when it's time for tank #3 we plan to get one. @Fudsey is running a waterbox and can probably toss a few tips. Can't wait to see some pics!

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have a Waterbox 134.5 but is the 2017 model. I am curious about the changes in the 2018 besides the sump design. I am wondering if they are still using metric plumbing. It's not really a big deal if you are using the tank as designed. I, on the other hand, plumbed it to my basement. This entailed getting adapters to change the plumbing to standard. Fortunately BRS sells most of what I needed.

You can check out my build thread in my signature. Pic for interest :)

Day35.jpg

Redleg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your getting rock from TBS check out their live rock. It will save you weeks of curing and cycling pukani.With the added benefit of making your tank cycle faster. I wish I'd bought it for my tank. I just couldn't stomach the the Air freight charges.

OP
OP
Tripptastic

Tripptastic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the advice. I received the tank today around 1:30pm. It took me about 45 mins to put the stand together. I had to wait until a friend got off work to remove the sump from the tank and then move the tank into the house. It's not on the stand yet, I'm already beat. I just need to work on the billion leveling feet and I'm having issues pluming the door. I'm just frustrated now, so taking a break for the night.

I'm SO glad I watched the video on Waterbox's team uncrating the 100.3 last Wednesday. I can see how someone might scratch the inside of their tank removing the sump the wrong way. I left the sump wrapped and all the cardboard corners on and with two people, we didn't have a single issue.

I'm about to look at the 50 plus photos I took today and then start posting them. I will look at all the links you guys sent me later tonight/tomorrow. I'm mentally drained right now.

Note - I learned a valuable lesson with my Waterbox Cube 10, when I got it, I filled it with water and started cleaning it, and something I didn't see was in the tank and with the sponge I used to clean the glass, scratched the bottom pane of glass. I just spent 20 minutes vacuuming the inside and outside of the 70.2 and just wiped it down. Looks amazing. Found a few places I needed a flat razor to clean a few parts up but no major issues so far.

OP
OP
Tripptastic

Tripptastic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your getting rock from TBS check out their live rock. It will save you weeks of curing and cycling pukani.With the added benefit of making your tank cycle faster. I wish I'd bought it for my tank. I just couldn't stomach the the Air freight charges.
Everything I know about running tanks I have learned from watching every episode on BRS TV. I loved their series like 52 Weeks of Reefing, 52 FAQ and now the ULM series. I am aware that I can jump start the cycle must faster using live rock, but I already have a piece of rock sitting in my Cube 10. It's been in there over a week and I still have a week before I put water in this tank. I'm very leery about using live rock, I would rather start a fresh system and limit my chances of any contaminates or hitchhikers/pests.

OP
OP
Tripptastic

Tripptastic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have a Waterbox 134.5 but is the 2017 model. I am curious about the changes in the 2018 besides the sump design. I am wondering if they are still using metric plumbing. It's not really a big deal if you are using the tank as designed. I, on the other hand, plumbed it to my basement. This entailed getting adapters to change the plumbing to standard. Fortunately BRS sells most of what I needed.

You can check out my build thread in my signature. Pic for interest :)

Day35.jpg
From all the videos and threads I have seen about the 2017 model, the tank is the same, but as you mentioned, they modified the sump and the stand. The stand is now 36" tall, they relocated the push door opener. I can also feel the PVC coating on the 3 soft close hinges. As far as the pluming, it's still metric and they updated the gate valve for ease to tuning.

OP
OP
Tripptastic

Tripptastic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you picked a fantastic tank! Down the road when it's time for tank #3 we plan to get one. @Fudsey is running a waterbox and can probably toss a few tips. Can't wait to see some pics!
I feel like I know just as much about the Waterbox line as the Waterbox team Dean and Rich because of all of the research I have done. I did love the Red Sea Tanks but I wasn't a fan of only have one return novel in the tank. I have seen videos on YouTube where some overflow boxes were starting to discolor for one reason or another. That won't happen with an all glass overflow and there were a few other reasons why I picked Waterbox and after today's experience, I'm very glad that I did!

OP
OP
Tripptastic

Tripptastic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how the system was packaged and delivered to me today. One corners of the stand box was crushed but thankfully the stand wasn't damaged at all. Also, one corners of the pallet broke off completely as it was being delivered. Thankfully it happened at the end of the tanks destination because all that was separating the tank from anything below was just a piece of cardboard.

20180702_133404.jpg

20180702_133430.jpg

20180702_133440.jpg

20180702_133832.jpg

20180702_133053.jpg

OP
OP
Tripptastic

Tripptastic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was shocked to see that the stand didn't come with any instructions. However, I was sent a link from Waterbox to view my stand being built on YouTube, that was it. After watching the 5 minutes video twice, it looked fairly simple and straight forward. If you have ever assembled IKEA furniture, then you won't have a problem with this. The stand took me about an hour to assemble, but only because I was taking step by step pictures with my Wyze Cam in case anyone had questions about what to do or in what order.

Next, I was disappointed with the quality control of the stand. It looked like some sweaty man with dirty hands packed the pieces together. I found a few scuffs here and there. Thankfully with a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water, I was able to removed most of them, the ones that can be seen at least. I did find two imperfections on the door, some bubble of some sort on both sides.

20180702_134406.jpg

20180702_134412.jpg

20180702_134552.jpg

20180702_134558.jpg

20180702_134648.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back