Waterbox glass chip

legacy2mj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a client that bought a used Waterbox frag 176.5 system (117 gal) lagoon style tank. Very nice tank. I went last night to get the plumbing all dry fit and everything pretty much prepped to add water and start cycling. Noticed the chip in the bottom right front corner (pics included). He’s insisting that I move forward with it just cause this has been a long time coming for him, and he’s very excited. I expressed my concerns. I would even like do a week long tap water leak test at very least.
I have emailed Waterbox in some form of effort to see if there’s something they can do. Still waiting for a reply. But has anybody used a type of epoxy or resin for something like this? Just looking for opinions here.

IMG_4592.jpeg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't use it. That's a lot of water to clean up at 3am.

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4686.jpeg
This is the chip I got in my waterbox frag 105.4 when I was moving it. But that chip looks like a lot more of a serious chip/crack. Personally for yours I would be quite worried, mine I was very worried about at first but it’s been 7 months and no issues. It still scares me looking at it but it didn’t touch the silicone at all is why I continued to use it. I don’t think I would trust yours with that much water.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have the owner sign a waiver, fill it and run to the bank if he's that insistent. I'm with you tho I wouldn't trust it. I wonder if he damaged it or bought it that way. If he damaged he may be trying to avoid a confrontation with the misses over replacment cost :thinking-face:

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @exnisstech and you are correct. That may fail.

It’s impossible to say if any chip, regardless of size will lead to failure, but low in the glass like that, not for me.

IMM, that one needs to be remedied first.

If you must complete, I would get a full unconditional consent, in writing, making sure you’re not held responsible for failure……just to be safe.

Or refuse….

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No bueno.

Looks like a pretty severe chip with 'fissures' that can continue to spread ... especially when exposed to increased pressure. Just like a spider-web chip in a car windshield, that puppy, is likely to spread.

If you can't talk the owner out of it, walk away from the job and let him hire someone else foolish enough to take on that liability.

Or, if you really need/want the job, then be sure to go with exnisstech's suggestion and write up a waiver that clearly documents the existing damage, the threat of failure it poses, an 'owner assumes all responsibility and libability' statement ... and be sure get signed copies for both you, and them.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The location of the chip is at the bottom, which is where water pressure is greatest. I wouldn't use this tank. If that same chip was located in an upper corner where water pressure is minimal, I would take a chance.

I agree with you wanting to do a water test, but if that chip is going to develop into a failure, it may take a long time.

If this person is insisting that the tank be used, I would walk away.

JustAnotherNanoTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woahhh that’s wayyyy too deep into the seal.

Glass flexes more than we think under load.

Can you get more photos with good flash on the silicone?

I would show the home owner everyone’s reaction on here and also tell them to join the site.

I would refuse to fill it and tell them to fill it themselves. The waiver thing can still lead to ugly reviews online and bad word of mouth. What are they gonna tell people if you refuse?

“He said no because it was unsafe for my house and family.”

That seam could burst while people(kids) are looking at it too. Not just at night lol

OP
OP
legacy2mj

legacy2mj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
The location of the chip is at the bottom, which is where water pressure is greatest. I wouldn't use this tank. If that same chip was located in an upper corner where water pressure is minimal, I would take a chance.

I agree with you wanting to do a water test, but if that chip is going to develop into a failure, it may take a long time.

If this person is insisting that the tank be used, I would walk away.
thats exactly what I explained, being at the bottom like that is where all the pressure is. He’s one of those guys that wants all the reward of having a nice salt talk but wouldn’t have the first clue how to troubleshoot anything. For example, he couldn’t tell you the reason to have a ATO. The knowledge just isn’t there, he just wants the esthetic appeal it brings to his environment. Ultimately I would love to just find a used box locally for cheap. even if I had to clean it up. A waiver or essentially a legal document to protect myself was my first thought. Which I 200% would do, but I’m also batting around the idea of some form of eurobracing of sorts to help take the pressure and flex off the glass.
I just don’t see a good way to do this fill with that glass box and feel good about it

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I

thats exactly what I explained, being at the bottom like that is where all the pressure is. He’s one of those guys that wants all the reward of having a nice salt talk but wouldn’t have the first clue how to troubleshoot anything. For example, he couldn’t tell you the reason to have a ATO. The knowledge just isn’t there, he just wants the esthetic appeal it brings to his environment. Ultimately I would love to just find a used box locally for cheap. even if I had to clean it up. A waiver or essentially a legal document to protect myself was my first thought. Which I 200% would do, but I’m also batting around the idea of some form of eurobracing of sorts to help take the pressure and flex off the glass.
I just don’t see a good way to do this fill with that glass box and feel good about it

We live in a litigious society. Please be careful. Easy to see this person blaming a failure on you.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sadly Waterbox will probably not be able to do anything because the warranty is void when you sell it/only applies to the original owner. And no I would not move forward. It’s on him for missing something like that and I would run as far away from him as possible. Next thing you know it leaks and it’s your fault.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I

I wouldn’t move forward waiver or not. But if you do make sure you get a lawyer to draft it.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly Waterbox will probably not be able to do anything because the warranty is void when you sell it/only applies to the original owner. And no I would not move forward. It’s on him for missing something like that and I would run as far away from him as possible. Next thing you know it leaks and it’s your fault.

Agree. It is a chip and likely the result of some impact. No basic warranty will cover this.

JustAnotherNanoTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t even mess with it. Sounds like this person has more money than sense. You’ll be blue in the face explaining that you got that waiver but they will play dumb in court and say you tricked them into the waiver lol. Don’t challenge dumb people.

BestCutter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a client that bought a used Waterbox frag 176.5 system (117 gal) lagoon style tank. Very nice tank. I went last night to get the plumbing all dry fit and everything pretty much prepped to add water and start cycling. Noticed the chip in the bottom right front corner (pics included). He’s insisting that I move forward with it just cause this has been a long time coming for him, and he’s very excited. I expressed my concerns. I would even like do a week long tap water leak test at very least.
I have emailed Waterbox in some form of effort to see if there’s something they can do. Still waiting for a reply. But has anybody used a type of epoxy or resin for something like this? Just looking for opinions here.

IMG_4592.jpeg
That's a lot deeper than just a chip. That is relatively deep structural damage. I'd not do anything further with it.

Dennis

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I

thats exactly what I explained, being at the bottom like that is where all the pressure is. He’s one of those guys that wants all the reward of having a nice salt talk but wouldn’t have the first clue how to troubleshoot anything.

Sorry to judge, but this person sounds like a headache.

This sounds like a person that requires instant gratification; immediate results are all that will matter.

This person doesn’t understand that a reef tank is like a garden; something to be nurtured patiently, allowing it to grow into the spread of rich colors and aromatic blends.

Sounds like the kind of person that wants everything yesterday.

Please be careful.

Rewd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We live in a litigious society. Please be careful. Easy to see this person blaming a failure on you.
I agree with this guy. I wouldn't touch any part of this with a 10 foot pole. Walk away...

BigAl07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_4592.jpeg

I wouldn't touch this with a 10' pole and I especially wouldn't attempt a patch/fix/brace because you could be introducing stress in an area that will fail due to your "fix".

If this were me I would....

OP
OP
legacy2mj

legacy2mj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dug up this video and screen shot, prior to purchase when he went to look at it initially. Still in the previous owners home. Then a pic of current… but is still claiming the chip was always there and was assured it was properly injected and sealed as repair….. come on.

Attachments

• IMG_4679.png
    IMG_4679.png
    458.8 KB · Views: 15

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 75 44.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back