We got a sneak peek of something HUGE for Radion lighting!!

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do feel that this is a stop gap response from Ecotech to address the disco ball effect that has been a known issue for Radions. What it doesn't address is the shadowing issue from puck style lighting. That's why I really think (and this is a complete guess BTW) that the next iteration of the Radions will see more of a panel like fixture, with diodes spread along the entire panel and using diffusers... similar to the CoralCare. After all, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do feel that this is a stop gap response from Ecotech to address the disco ball effect that has been a known issue for Radions. What it doesn't address is the shadowing issue from puck style lighting. That's why I really think (and this is a complete guess BTW) that the next iteration of the Radions will see more of a panel like fixture, with diodes spread along the entire panel and using diffusers... similar to the CoralCare. After all, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Agreed. Gen 5, Gen 6.........

Rob77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome ! I was very unhappy with the disco ball color with the g4's ............. Lets hope the price isn't crazy high since we have already bought a premium light !

Clayton Jessup

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crazy interesting to see everyone's point of view on Ecotech Marine. I am still new to the hobby but I personally have done quite a bit of research on my own regarding to lighting . And the one thing is that there is success to all types of lighting systems. I feel it is a lot of personal preference on what the individual aquarist wants for their specific tank. I just know that there have been tons of people who have had successful tanks with Radions over their tanks. So I still feel like they are doing something right with these lights. As well as I am very sure that there is still quite a bit of research to do with LEDs , but the bottom line is that theses lights work (LED type lighting) I think I am going to be going this route for my tank , due to the fact that I am taking a lot of factors into consideration, and my pros out weigh my cons when it come to Radion lighting. But once again this is my two cents , everyone is entitled to their own opinion . That's why the forms are created is to discuss topics .. sorry about the rant or talking .

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) My hyrda 52s have no such effects.

It's either the lights or the fact that I have lots of surface agitation....perhaps a bit of both.

2) Ecotech is loosing me as a customer by cutting their products out of Being compatible with Apex fusion.

The Vectras aren't, and the hydra HDs aren't. I doubt these next gen Rations will be.

Sorry ecotech, i like your products but I'm not fragmenting my control...you declared war with the wrong product line.....

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are great! Please don't rip us off. It is clip on plastic. DO NOT CHARGE $100 a piece. If you do, I will just wait until the message boards figure out what the diffuser material is and and make my own.

Looks like sand blasted frosted glass...

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With everything we know about LED technology, both benefits and limitations, IMO it speaks volumes that BRS chose AP700s supplemented with T5s for the BRS 160.

Last edited:

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With everything we know about LED technology, both benefits and limitations, IMO it speaks volumes that BRS chose AP700s supplanted with T5s for the BRS 160.
I Was about to say....aren't they trying to fix a problem kessil already solved?

If the AP 700S had been out when I set up o might have bought them.

Though I do sort of prefer the control over the I individual LEDs now that I've figured out what I'm doing.

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meh, my GalaxyHydros are growing all my acros without a problem so I don't see a need to buy a $700 light when my $80 ones can grow the same stuff haha. Only big difference is that I can't control them from my phone.

Yea my SB Reef Lights are the same, wish I could ramp up the power instead of blasting my corals with light all of the sudden and phone based control would be neat too.
Id like to see some pics. I've seen many radios lit tanks and I'd be impressed if I saw those results from your fixtures.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just don't understand the control need over all the different channels thing. If the led fixture provides all the necessary diodes in the right nm/k ranges for optimal coral growth, why tweak them individually in intensity?

It's one thing to have one fixtures overall intensity/par output lower than its neighboring fixture because of coral type and placement under it, but tweaking the individual color channels output seems way overkill to me.

Just because it can be done, doesn't necessarily mean you need to.

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha so they basically copied the Coralcare but you gotta pay extra for it.
I find it funny how you all act like the Coralcare is the perfect light. It has its flaws as well. It is certainly not for everyone. At least Ecotech took a step in the right direction to correct their perceived flaw.

Let's keep it real. The Phillips will never out sell the Ecotech. It will never out sell the AI. It will never out sell the Kessil. It will never been anything more than a fringe product. I don't think they could outsell Ecotech even if they cut their price in half.

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just don't understand the control need over all the different channels thing. If the led fixture provides all the necessary diodes in the right nm/k ranges for optimal coral growth, why tweak them individually in intensity?

It's one thing to have one fixtures overall intensity/par output lower than its neighboring fixture because of coral type and placement under it, but tweaking the individual color channels output seems way overkill to me.

Just because it can be done, doesn't necessarily mean you need to.
I run an evening program using the fewest active LEDs possible for increased dimming capability.

The whites and blues are a no go because each puck has 3 LEDs of each and even at 2% it's too much light for progressive dimming.

The reds, greens and UVs however have 1 led per puck.

This allows me to do a nice step off program.

30 min w UV, Red and Green at 3%, then the Reds drop leaving a very attractive green and UV at 3%, then just UV only but at 6 %, then slowly down to zero which overlaps with my Neptune APEX lunar stim module that is programmed to mimic true moon cycles.

Also during sun rise and sun set in the real world, you get a very yellow light from the sun due to atmospheric blockage and the angle.

I can mimic that w a 30 min fade in and out for morning and evening going all the way to a 5k if I want to...

Also during the day I actually cut the Reds and greens completly off as some research shows those can actually be counter productive...though I use them for effects and intermittently during the day studies show they actually encourage nuisance algae growth...dont want them on continuous during peak intensity hours.

And some times in the evenings, I like to run straight blues for about 30 minutes just after the yellow cycle but before the decreasing led fade to lunar.

.......regret asking? LoL

Last edited:

Isabella rubalcaba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!

Well, some of you guessed it. This week on BRStv Investigates we are sticking with the EcoTech Radions, but taking an equally in-depth look at the XR15 G4 Pro!

Wait til you see the special shipment Ryan received from EcoTech - a potential game changer for Radion lighting... ;Woot

What do you all think about this prototype from EcoTech??

Would be nice if i could afford lol good video guys !!!

Bow69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!

Well, some of you guessed it. This week on BRStv Investigates we are sticking with the EcoTech Radions, but taking an equally in-depth look at the XR15 G4 Pro!

Wait til you see the special shipment Ryan received from EcoTech - a potential game changer for Radion lighting... ;Woot

What do you all think about this prototype from EcoTech??

Love these guys. Great info as always. The diffusers should be AWSOME.

Rob77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) My hyrda 52s have no such effects.

It's either the lights or the fact that I have lots of surface agitation....perhaps a bit of both.

2) Ecotech is loosing me as a customer by cutting their products out of Being compatible with Apex fusion.

The Vectras aren't, and the hydra HDs aren't. I doubt these next gen Rations will be.

Sorry ecotech, i like your products but I'm not fragmenting my control...you declared war with the wrong product line.....
makes me feel they are working on their own controller ?

gus6464

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it funny how you all act like the Coralcare is the perfect light. It has its flaws as well. It is certainly not for everyone. At least Ecotech took a step in the right direction to correct their perceived flaw.

Let's keep it real. The Phillips will never out sell the Ecotech. It will never out sell the AI. It will never out sell the Kessil. It will never been anything more than a fringe product. I don't think they could outsell Ecotech even if they cut their price in half.

The US is not the only reef tank market. Ecotech is not the most popular light in EU, Asia, or Australia by a long shot. I have been to LFS in the UK and Netherlands and ecotech products are not very common.

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have faith in your lights people. My out of the barn LED works perfectly fine, wild SPS are growing and coloring as well. I am not going to spend 5 times more on a single branded puck type light (I need two for my tank) simply to grow coral.

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You must have an excellent Crystal ball their guy. I for one can't wait to get my hands on one of those fringe products. All it takes is some results and some buzz in this hobby and the next thing you know all the sheeples are running a Coral Care.
Really though, who gives a flying f how many of anything sells? All I care about is getting what I want when I want it at the best price. What sells or doesn't isn't any of the consumer's business.
Based on B R S review of the Coral Care, it basically is a perfect light or near it. The weight thing is a non issue, make a sick looking 80/20 hanger for it. Done. The application for it can be updated but even that is nothing compared to the quality and benefits.
You guys keep paying to be Ecotech's beta testers and provide their R&D funding for them. It's working great for THEM so far.

Alfrareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going forward it's always good. What puzzles me it's not so long ago I was reading about Ecotech led single lens technology and now they talk about diffusion...
My feeling his that with Phillips market entrance things shall become better and we will get very interesting solutions in the future.

killerkukoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope many other places start offering diffusers too! I ordered some diffuser panels for my reefbreeder v2 photons, but it has taken forever to get here. I think there is a lot to be gained from these. If nothing else it's great to have the prebuilt option for ppl to decide for themselves.
Where did you find the panel for reef breeders? did you notice a big difference? im currently using a v2 photon with a t5 bulb on each side

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back