Weird Clownfish Death

leighla wolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That clownfish doesn’t look healthy. It looks like the scales and fins are not right. If it’s uck, they will look like little salt grains but your fish dying in such quick succession would probably lean more towards velvet/brook. If you keep putting new fish in a tank back to back that is contaminated chances are they are all getting the same disease from the previous fish since you already have one that is sick in the tank. Copper is tricky but you have to also get a copper test kit (a necessity) because the levels must be exact. You have to slowly build up dosage and then do water changes over specific timespans to decrease the dosage and it must remain constant for so long. At this point, Id say move to a quarantine tank because you shouldn’t have rocks/sand with copper in the tank (it will keep leaching it for some time after). Also depending on what your fish has, you may have to do multiple treatments to catch the entire lifecycle of whats affecting them. If you could get a picture of your affected fish or of the one that passed it would help as well to figure out what the fish has. Flukes or bacterial infections need things like prazipro and metronidazole. Velvet needs copper. Ick can sometimes be controlled by copper too in cases but each treatment has its own course times and parameters.

Remos reefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like your test kit is not that good I know from experience they can be wrong. Also have the clownfish been not eating or other weird behavior.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The picture displays brooklynella
Brooklynella is an infestation of marine fish by the cilated protozoan brooklynella. It is most closely and commonly associated with clownfish therefore is typically referred to as clownfish disease.
Most similar to Oodinum, this is also a parasite that primarily attacks the gills first. At the onset, fish may scrape up against objects, rapid respiration develops, and fish often gasp for air at the surface as the gills become clogged with mucus.Very quickly the fish will become lethargic, refuse to eat, and its colors will fade. The most noticeable difference that sets Brooklynella apart from Oodinium is the heavy amount of slime that is produced by a fish that has contracted this parasite. As the disease progresses, a thick whitish mucus covers the body. This will usually start at the head and spread outward across the entire body. Skin lesions appear and it is not uncommon for signs of secondary bacterial infections to arise, such as redness and fin rot.

hyeclass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The picture displays brooklynella
Brooklynella is an infestation of marine fish by the cilated protozoan brooklynella. It is most closely and commonly associated with clownfish therefore is typically referred to as clownfish disease.
Most similar to Oodinum, this is also a parasite that primarily attacks the gills first. At the onset, fish may scrape up against objects, rapid respiration develops, and fish often gasp for air at the surface as the gills become clogged with mucus.Very quickly the fish will become lethargic, refuse to eat, and its colors will fade. The most noticeable difference that sets Brooklynella apart from Oodinium is the heavy amount of slime that is produced by a fish that has contracted this parasite. As the disease progresses, a thick whitish mucus covers the body. This will usually start at the head and spread outward across the entire body. Skin lesions appear and it is not uncommon for signs of secondary bacterial infections to arise, such as redness and fin rot.

The consensus is that the best and most effective treatment for Brooklynella is formaldehyde alone. Formalin is a 37 percent solution of formaldehyde gas dissolved in water with methanol added as a stabilizer. It has been found to be an effective treatment for Brooklynella as well as other parasitic diseases.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The consensus is that the best and most effective treatment for Brooklynella is formaldehyde alone. Formalin is a 37 percent solution of formaldehyde gas dissolved in water with methanol added as a stabilizer. It has been found to be an effective treatment for Brooklynella as well as other parasitic diseases.
Formaldehyde is hard to find but I’ve found quick cure and ruby rally pro to be effective also

takitaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the OP said all fish have died so I'd like to ask how they would go about eradicating the disease from the tank, if possible, so if they add more will they still have the same issues?

nano_ryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AC6785D0-412E-4CF0-BD28-03318EC39A59.jpeg
FFE01464-5B72-4C4D-A0C5-26726B833690.jpeg

So my girlfriend has had 4 clownfish now who have all died mysteriously. The tests are completely fine and everything is where it should be. Salinity is 1.025/35ppt. Is this marine velvet or ick? All of her fish have died within 24 hours of showing signs of sickness and have all died looking the exact same way. Any suggestions on what to do.
QT!!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - jumping in on this way late. The test kit is a FW master and the ammonia test in it won't work properly in SW if it the reagent I think it is. I think that's why the coloration in the tube is cloudy.

The others are correct - the fish visually show what seems to be Brooklynella. Are there any invertebrates in the tank? Any other fish?

Jay

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had brook in my tank several years ago and that certainly looks exactly like it. Killed many fish and had two survive though QT. Trust me you need the tank to go fallow for at least 72 days. it stinks waiting but loved to see the cooepods and amphioods explode. After that had no problems moving forward.

OP
OP
jackalexander

jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had brook in my tank several years ago and that certainly looks exactly like it. Killed many fish and had two survive though QT. Trust me you need the tank to go fallow for at least 72 days. it stinks waiting but loved to see the cooepods and amphioods explode. After that had no problems moving forward.
this thread is from a couple months ago but we went fallow for 6 weeks after the fish had passed. added a damsel and after about 2 weeks he shows no signs of any disease, recently added a diamond goby and everything seems to be normal. thank you for the input!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 31 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back