OP
C

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m seeing possible ich here, at least I can’t rule it out. Are the eyes cloudy like they seem to be?
Jay
I guess his eyes are a little cloudy and there appears to be a white spot in/on one of them

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess his eyes are a little cloudy and there appears to be a white spot in/on one of them
What about trying a FW dip and see if any flukes fall off and to see if it provides any relief?
Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simple as rodi with air stone at same temp as DT for a few minutes?
Don’t use RO/DI, there is poor pH control. Better to use dechlorinated tap water. Aerate with fish for 5 minutes, cover to keep the fish from jumping. Make sure there is no algae or crud in the net when you put the fish into the dip, that way, you can more easily look at the bottom afterwards for flukes. The fish will be stressed, but see if there is any improvement tomorrow.
Jay

OP
OP
C

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t use RO/DI, there is poor pH control. Better to use dechlorinated tap water. Aerate with fish for 5 minutes, cover to keep the fish from jumping. Make sure there is no algae or crud in the net when you put the fish into the dip, that way, you can more easily look at the bottom afterwards for flukes. The fish will be stressed, but see if there is any improvement tomorrow.
Jay
thanks

just dipped and put him back in

seemed to see a few floaters in the dip

He played dead right away. Eventually when it was time to take him out he jumped out.
He’s back in and I’ll watch him.
Thanks

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I re-watched the video and saw some elevated breathing rate. Can you see how it is breathing today as compared to yesterday? The trick is to see if the FW dip helped. If it did, then it helps point in the right direction in regards to treatment. I see three possible issues now: flukes (why I ask for the dip) ich, or now, possibly Velvet (Amyloodinium). The reason I bring up the latter is due to the rapid breathing.

Jay

OP
OP
C

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I re-watched the video and saw some elevated breathing rate. Can you see how it is breathing today as compared to yesterday? The trick is to see if the FW dip helped. If it did, then it helps point in the right direction in regards to treatment. I see three possible issues now: flukes (why I ask for the dip) ich, or now, possibly Velvet (Amyloodinium). The reason I bring up the latter is due to the rapid breathing.

Jay
Yes I will check today
Do you think I should put him in qt immediately?

OP
OP
C

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m counting a respiration rate of around 160 bpm. That is about twice normal for that fish. It could be velvet, but here is the thing: moving it to a QT will allow you to treat it there, but what if the other fish start showing symptoms? I guess moving the fish and starting copper would be the best course of action, but this could spread. Let me know if you need directions for copper, and give the fish a second FW dip as you move it into the QT.
Jay

OP
OP
C

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m counting a respiration rate of around 160 bpm. That is about twice normal for that fish. It could be velvet, but here is the thing: moving it to a QT will allow you to treat it there, but what if the other fish start showing symptoms? I guess moving the fish and starting copper would be the best course of action, but this could spread. Let me know if you need directions for copper, and give the fish a second FW dip as you move it into the QT.
Jay
Yeah I how no idea or do I have copper :(

other fish all seem fine w no symptoms at all

leighla wolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay
Shouldn’t he match ph too?

OP
OP
C

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay
She actually looks better today with no marks but still has the elevated breathing

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not gonna lie, that’s exactly how mine looked when it had velvet. Not saying that’s definitely it, but it was a while of having those kinds of spots before it quickly became white speckles across its body.
3760381F-8FC3-4529-8F25-DB025361BE29.jpeg

OP
OP
C

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not gonna lie, that’s exactly how mine looked when it had velvet. Not saying that’s definitely it, but it was a while of having those kinds of spots before it quickly became white speckles across its body.
3760381F-8FC3-4529-8F25-DB025361BE29.jpeg
Would you suggest removing from the DT

no spots today just heavy breathing

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you suggest removing from the DT

no spots today just heavy breathing
If it’s velvet, you need to QT everything. If one fish has it, chances are they all do. It may not be velvet, but from my experience, that looks very similar to beginning stage velvet.

OP
OP
C

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s velvet, you need to QT everything. If one fish has it, chances are they all do. It may not be velvet, but from my experience, that looks very similar to beginning stage velvet.
Welp that will be real hard to do

move all rocks and coral to getfish out that aren’t infected?

May quit the hobby :(

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp that will be real hard to do

May quit the hobby
Don’t quit, what seems to set you back now will only lead to eventual success. I’m new to the hobby and was welcomed with a velvet outbreak that killed all my new fish. I did not act fast enough, but now know what I should do in the future. I picked myself back up, learned from my mistakes, and now have a QT tank which I will use for everything. I suppose it comes down to this—are you willing to spend a few hundred dollars and lots of time on a quarantine tank and medication, or possibly need to replace thousands in fish and coral down the line?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
move all rocks and coral to getfish out that aren’t infected?
trust me, if it’s velvet, they’re infected, and the hassle of moving everything into quarantine is worth it. I took the route to wait and see what happens, and I had to slowly watch my favorite fish die one by one. If I had a time machine, I’d go back and tell myself “it’s worth it.”

OP
OP
C

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t quit, what seems to set you back now will only lead to eventual success. I’m new to the hobby and was welcomed with a velvet outbreak that killed all my new fish. I did not act fast enough, but now know what I should do in the future. I picked myself back up, learned from my mistakes, and now have a QT tank which I will use for everything. I suppose it comes down to this—are you willing to spend a few hundred dollars and lots of time on a quarantine tank and medication, or possibly need to replace thousands in fish and coral down the line?
I have a qt tank setup I was using to store extra saltwater right now

has a heater and filter. I just don’t have any medicine besides metro and kanaplex

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 31 52.5%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 20.3%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 12 20.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 6.8%
Back