Weird spots on saddleback clown

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shouldn’t he match ph too?
Depends, most of the US tap water has a pH above 7.5, so not needed in those cases. The trouble with RODI is there is no buffering and the pH may start at 6 and drop fast due to CO2. My lab DI water runs at a pH of below 4.
Jay

leighla wolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends, most of the US tap water has a pH above 7.5, so not needed in those cases. The trouble with RODI is there is no buffering and the pH may start at 6 and drop fast due to CO2. My lab DI water runs at a pH of below 4.
Jay
Thanks! Good to know! I’ve always heavily quarantined my livestock and probably over treat after I lost my first clown a couple years ago... I still feel bad, I just didn’t know what signs meant a healthy fish and vowed to never make that mistake again so I haven’t had to use fw dips YET... but I’m sure I will someday and I’d rather know too much than not enough.

OP
OP
C

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I re-watched the video and saw some elevated breathing rate. Can you see how it is breathing today as compared to yesterday? The trick is to see if the FW dip helped. If it did, then it helps point in the right direction in regards to treatment. I see three possible issues now: flukes (why I ask for the dip) ich, or now, possibly Velvet (Amyloodinium). The reason I bring up the latter is due to the rapid breathing.

Jay
Now a lights on he still has the marks and breathing heavily

OP
OP
C

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Good to know! I’ve always heavily quarantined my livestock and probably over treat after I lost my first clown a couple years ago... I still feel bad, I just didn’t know what signs meant a healthy fish and vowed to never make that mistake again so I haven’t had to use fw dips YET... but I’m sure I will someday and I’d rather know too much than not enough.
what else do i need in my tank for quarantine and what medicine

leighla wolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what else do i need in my tank for quarantine and what medicine
Here is how I quarantine when I get livestock that seems healthy (like my clowns) this is NOT FOR SCALELESS FISH LIKE MANDARINS OR SCOOTER BLENNYS.

1st I treat for small issues like gill flukes and worms using seachem para guard. I do two weeks treating up to 3x a week (if they have flukes, with the initial dose they may freak out a little when flukes start popping off them. I know it’s overkill but it’s a way I can ensure to get ALL of a flukes cycle.

2nd. I treat for a week with metroplex in their food to avoid any secondary infections/ finish off the worms and issues like Uronema

3rd. Now that they are fluke free and dewormed, I run copper. You CANNOT start at a full dose. You will kill your fish. You have to work up to the recommended dose. USE A GOOD COPPER TEST KIT. ITS BETTER TO TEST MORE THAN LESS. You have to keep the copper at certain measurements for a set time and do water changes in order to slowly wean them down.

Like I said, this is the way i do it for a seemingly healthy fish (others may feel its overkill but I even quarantine my crabs). If you are concerned yours has velvet you need to act quickly and start backwards from 3 to 1. :)

OP
OP
C

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is how I quarantine when I get livestock that seems healthy (like my clowns) this is NOT FOR SCALELESS FISH LIKE MANDARINS OR SCOOTER BLENNYS.

1st I treat for small issues like gill flukes and worms using seachem para guard. I do two weeks treating up to 3x a week (if they have flukes, with the initial dose they may freak out a little when flukes start popping off them. I know it’s overkill but it’s a way I can ensure to get ALL of a flukes cycle.

2nd. I treat for a week with metroplex in their food to avoid any secondary infections/ finish off the worms and issues like Uronema

3rd. Now that they are fluke free and dewormed, I run copper. You CANNOT start at a full dose. You will kill your fish. You have to work up to the recommended dose. USE A GOOD COPPER TEST KIT. ITS BETTER TO TEST MORE THAN LESS. You have to keep the copper at certain measurements for a set time and do water changes in order to slowly wean them down.

Like I said, this is the way i do it for a seemingly healthy fish (others may feel its overkill but I even quarantine my crabs). If you are concerned yours has velvet you need to act quickly and start backwards from 3 to 1. :)
so i need a copper test and copper...any suggestions?

OP
OP
C

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salifert test kit
Copper power or even chloroquine phosphate if you can get your vet to write you a script
Salifert test kit
Copper power or even chloroquine phosphate if you can get your vet to write you a script
so without copper at this point i put at least the fish showing symptoms in QT then treat with copper for how long?

I'm reading up on it but i'm really a rookie with this. I appreciate all your help.

leighla wolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The second tab down is a very detailed directions and dosage. :) Let me know if you don’t understand parts of it. Also, at this point if it’s velvet, and if you can treat it in time, I’d pull everyone and put in quarantine and do this.... otherwise your other fish who are probably infected and not showing yet will start showing at different times and trying to treat everyone in different stages will be a mess.

OP
OP
C

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yuck. Really confused but she is swimming into the powerheads and is swimming into the glass kinda rubbing against it so it fits the symptoms sorta

can I treat a bi color blenny too?

im guessing I’ll need some pipes in the tank for hiding

leighla wolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look up “flashing in fish” that may be what yours is doing and it’s commonly done with ich and flukes. Also yes, pvc pipes are all I put in quarantine tanks (extra places to hide and space for bb to grow). No sand! As for the blenny, I cannot safely give you guidance on him and would rather admit to not knowing than giving misinformation. With my scooter blenny, I contacted my vet and she ordered me chloroquine phosphate.

OP
OP
C

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look up “flashing in fish” that may be what yours is doing and it’s commonly done with ich and flukes. Also yes, pvc pipes are all I put in quarantine tanks (extra places to hide and space for bb to grow). No sand! As for the blenny, I cannot safely give you guidance on him and would rather admit to not knowing than giving misinformation. With my scooter blenny, I contacted my vet and she ordered me chloroquine phosphate.
Do they “flash” w velvet?

leighla wolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know from personal experience in freshwater fish they do. I’ve never had any velvet occur in my marine tanks because nothing gets added to the display tank until it sits in quarantine for at least 76 days, corals included.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Actually, you should consider reversing that order: copper first, then metro (optional) and then praziquantel. Protozoans kill faster and more often than flukes do, so you need to deal with them first.

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im still unsure how to move forward and treat?

Sorry for the delay, I just got home from work. The best course of action would be full copper (Copper Power or Cupramine) measured with a good test kit, ASAP.

Jay

leighla wolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the delay, I just got home from work. The best course of action would be full copper (Copper Power or Cupramine) measured with a good test kit, ASAP.

Jay
Welcome back! How was work? Do you know if he can copper his blenny @JayHemdal? Yeah.. I know you’re probably right about orders, I just had a really bad experience and lost a fish I was attached to when I first started the hobby and it messed with me a bit mentally lol. I’ve had my fish forever and move with them. No fish left behind!

JRAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do flash with velvet- also swimming head first into the output of a pump/power head is a strong indicator of velvet.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back! How was work? Do you know if he can copper his blenny @JayHemdal? Yeah.. I know you’re probably right about orders, I just had a really bad experience and lost a fish I was attached to when I first started the hobby and it messed with me a bit mentally lol. I’ve had my fish forever and move with them. No fish left behind!

Yes - the blenny isn't overly sensitive to copper.

Jay

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 40.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 27.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back