What’s this red stuff?

Aaron Davis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. I recently removed a bunch of different algae types that were being used in my sump. In the ball of mixed algae there was some red stuff. Now that I removed everything but the chaeto as advised by another reefer; I’ve noticed a few spots of this stuff. I had removed a little bit of this a few weeks from my DT. Can someone ID please?

FB0ACAB5-AB42-44C6-B1A4-D722EE4D0D7B.jpeg

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's just on a rock, when you do a water change, siphon the water into a bucket, stick the rock in there and scrape it off with something like a screw driver and remove debris in that water you are going to chuck. Once it's off you can stick it back in your tank.

Cyno is in all our systems to some degree, but don't worry too much.

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Siphon it out during water change, or do frequent water change to reduce the nutrition and it will slow down or stop spreading or even banish from you system.
Don't panic and start dosing/using stuff like Vibrant...it's gonna make thing worse.

OP
OP
Aaron Davis

Aaron Davis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's just on a rock, when you do a water change, siphon the water into a bucket, stick the rock in there and scrape it off with something like a screw driver and remove debris in that water you are going to chuck. Once it's off you can stick it back in your tank.

Cyno is in all our systems to some degree, but don't worry too much.
Fantastic! Thanks!

Siphon it out during water change, or do frequent water change to reduce the nutrition and it will slow down or stop spreading or even banish from you system.
Don't panic and start dosing/using stuff like Vibrant...it's gonna make thing worse.

Panicked a little bit; not so much now! Thanks!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back