What are these red marks?

boozeman27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg my green chromis are currently in TTM. I see white string poo and these red marks on 1 of them. Any help please?

Bonfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is something I found in a previous thread from Humblefish.
Treating with CP will eradicate it and before that I had success using copper. Steve claims metronidazole is actually the most effective treatment for Uronema, and while I've never used metro on that disease his reasoning certainly makes sense.

Uronema marinum:

Symptoms - These are the red sores often seen on chromis damsels. The disease seems mostly confined to damsels and clownfish, but I have seen some exceptions to that.

Treatment options - This is a very difficult disease to treat. Possible treatment options include: Metronidazole (ex. Seachem MetroPlex), acriflavine (ex. Acriflavine-MS), Chloroquine phosphate and copper. The problem is the fish can never be returned to the infected tank from which it came. Uronema is a “free living” parasite which does not require a fish host. So, going fallow will not eradicate it. Most fish seem protected from it via their natural immune system; but for some reason, chromis and some other fish are not always afforded this protection. Once a tank has Uronema, it must be assumed that the disease can survive in there almost indefinitely.

Formalin bath or freshwater dip may provide temporary relief for Uronema.

OP
OP
boozeman27

boozeman27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are only in a 5 gallon tank going through ttm. I have had them for 8 days and they are on transfer 3. So I don't need to worry about disease sticking around. I have metroplex and will begin medicating them asap

OP
OP
boozeman27

boozeman27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They tanks I use are sanitized and complete dried after every transfer. So is it safe to say that the disease is out of the tanks but still need to treat the fish?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is it safe to say that the disease is out of the tanks but still need to treat the fish?

Yes; as mentioned above this is almost certainly uronema: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/uronema-marinum.247940/

However, white string poo indicates intestinal worms so you have another problem to deal with as well: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/internal-parasites-intestinal-worms.267419/

Treating for uronema takes precedence here, as it is a fast killing disease. Do you have access to Chloroquine, metronidazole or formalin?

OP
OP
boozeman27

boozeman27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks. The fish have been by themselves in 5 gallons tanks and will be for the next 7 days. Can they be cured from Uronema and safe to add to display tank eventually. After ttm they will go in my 20 gallon qt for another few weeks before display tank. Or are they forever cursed, lol

OP
OP
boozeman27

boozeman27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish So I soaked some frozen mysis with metroplex and used focus to bind it. They ate it like crazy, no garlic needed. Then I mixed some metroplex(about 1/2 a little scoop, it says 1 scoop per 10 g) with some tank water and poured that in to treat the water. Question, I know I will continue to feed them medicated food, but how often should I add some metroplex to the water? They get a new tank next on sat and then again on tues. Should I just put that measured 1/2 scoop in with each new tank every 3 days during ttm, or do I add some to the water everyday?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^ Agree with Bruce; dose metro every 48 hours until symptoms are gone. Feed metro on a daily basis to clear the worms.

The intestinal worms are treatable, but I'm not going to lie your back is against the wall with uronema...

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can the uronema be spread to other fish?

Yes, but more often it targets damsels and chromis. Usually other, healthy fish won't be effected. But, once it's in your display tank there's no easy way to get it out. Restarting or living with it are your only real options.

OP
OP
boozeman27

boozeman27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This chromis is not in display he is in ttm currently. My question is if after ttm and he goes in qt for a few weeks and if he shows no sign of it, can he eventually go in dt?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question is if after ttm and he goes in qt for a few weeks and if he shows no sign of it, can he eventually go in dt?

Yes, but I would observe for at least a month or two after symptoms subside before placing him in your DT. To be sure its 100% gone.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strange question, re: Uronema...

If you've got fish in QT who have gotten over Uronema, you obviously don't want to transfer it to DT with them, but it might be crawling on the fish or in the water, correct?

Would it be worthwhile to drip-acclimate the new fish - and use the container you're holding them in during acclimation as an Acriflavine dip, simultaneously? That is, dose Acriflavine (or Metro, for that matter) into the drip container, while acclimating the fish?

~Bruce, with random thoughts tooling around his brain . . .

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Maritimer I really need to do more research regarding the life cycle of brook and uronema. (Need more hours in the day. ;))

Most of my understanding of these diseases comes from this article and my own anecdotal experience of using CP to treat it.

Back in the day, I also had some success (but also some failures) performing a formalin bath and then transferring the fish into a sterile QT. A LFS I advise has had much better success dosing metronidazole into the QT (post formalin bath) and treating for 10-14 days to prevent a recurrence.

OP
OP
boozeman27

boozeman27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So now both chromis have uronema marks on them. They have never been anywhere in my system but the 5 gallon ttm tanks. I have been transferring tanks every 3 days and they are now on day 11. I have been putting 1/2 scoop metroplex in water every other day and feed them mysis with metro, focus, selcon and garlic. They have been eating heartily. Now the second chromis shows uronema. What am I to do with these two? Can they ever go in my display or will I always be risking other fish?!? I need some advice on what to do here please.
@ngoodermuth @Humblefish @Maritimer

image.jpg image.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back