OP
OP
boozeman27

boozeman27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On Tuesday they would be eligible to go into my qt tank that currently has my2 clowns in it. My clowns are waiting on my display to cycle so they can go in it. Once my qt is free, 3-5 days from now, I can move the chromis into there, but then what? Keep treating the chromis in the qt? Will my qt need to be sanitized before ever adding anymore fish in he qt?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@boozeman27 I would give them both a 45 min formalin bath (20 drops per gallon): https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/formalin.290925/

Formalin is the strongest chemical I know of for clearing "surface parasites" such as brook & uronema. Unfortunately, it is also the harshest.

After the bath, transfer the fish into a sterile QT (like doing TTM) and dose formalin at a lower concentration (2 drops per gallon) every 48 hrs. This is a more aggressive treatment option, since metro doesn't appear to be working.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about para guard? Will this work. I cant seem to find any formalin.

It's supposed to work the same as formalin, but I can't vouch for that. I suppose this scenario would be an excellent test of Paraguard's capabilities.

OP
OP
boozeman27

boozeman27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the Para Guard seemed to be working for a few days. They looked like they were on the mend. I treated the internal parasites with metro and there poo changed from white stringy to solid brown so it looked like I had that under control. I took them out of ttm and into my qt by themselves. Last night however, I noticed raised deformities coming from the uronema red marks, as well as a couple of bumps by their eyes. This morning one is dead and the other is not looking too good unfortunately. I tried but it looks like I failed. :( Now if (looks inevitable) the other dies, I guess I need to completely breakdown my qt and sanitize everything and start the qt all over again???? Super bummer. Is there any way to save the qt or is starting it all over the only option? Must I throw away the bio-wheel on the hob, as well as the bag of media in the filter? Now way to save anything as far as cycling again?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@boozeman27 I would thoroughly sterilize that QT (and all equipment) using bleach. Sorry for your losses. :(

Uronema is a difficult disease to treat. Next time you decide to QT chromis, I recommend one of these two QT protocols if uronema shows up:
  1. Formalin bath, followed by transfer into a new QT and treat with Chloroquine phosphate.
  2. Formalin bath, followed by transfer into a new QT and treat with Metronidazole.
In all cases, a fish infected with uronema should also be fed food soaked with metronidazole because the disease can spread internally. Seachem Focus can be used to bind the medication to the food.

OP
OP
boozeman27

boozeman27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Humblefish, I really do appreciate the kind words and advice. Just so bummed. The first two clowns I bought are in the display tank and doing wonderful. 6 out of the next 7 fish I have bought have all died in ttm or qt. 1 wrasse jumped thru 1/4" egg crate into the floor, 1 fire fish died during transport from the lfs, 2 of the 3 chromis I bought are now gone, and 2 Anthia's died within 24 hours of acclimation from LA. Super depressed and really can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Even my cycle in the display tank is taking forever to show progress. Almost zero diatoms but tons of clear, white, slime on the rocks and clogging my socks daily. Zero ammonia, but nitrites and nitrates are still out of sight high. I'm on day 23 in the display tank, and per Red Sea, should show nitrates at 5. Im trying to be patient but this is wearing me down! Ill sanitize the qt and I won't buy any new fish for awhile. Illl just let the dt continue to "ugly up", as it looks like I'm in for a 30-40 day cycle.

OP
OP
boozeman27

boozeman27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only put the clowns in the dt cause it was that or put the chromis with uronema in with them, and I wasn't going to do that. The water in the dt is crystal clear, the only stall is the slow reduction of nitrite and nitrate and the growth of any real diatoms. The clowns are eating and breathing and swimming normally, so I figured putting them in a tank with nitrate at 1 and nitrate at 50+ wasn't the worst thing for them. Plus I figured the dt needed another ammonia source.

OP
OP
boozeman27

boozeman27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the last chromis.

image.jpg
image.jpg

And here are the clowns in dt
image.jpg image.jpg

OP
OP
boozeman27

boozeman27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So an update. Only 1 chromis in qt tank. I have treated the qt with para guard for 14 days. He looks much better and behaves totally normal. He does still have red marks on him but they seem to be fading. He eats like a pig. My main question is can he ever go into my dt? If the uronema is gone will the marks heal and fade away? I need the qt soon for some new fish. Not sure what to do with this guy. Btw, my display is fully cycled and only has 3 hermits and 2 clowns. image.jpg

OP
OP
boozeman27

boozeman27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do realize that I must fully sanitize the qt before using it for any new fish. I may just have to keep him in the qt forever?! I guess if I get a new fish I can ttm him and then straight to the dt after the 15 day ttm?

OP
OP
boozeman27

boozeman27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never intentionally harm a fish, but if uronema has become a permanent part of him I don't know what else to do? No one has ever answered me as to whether or not he can ever be introduced to other fish without risk of infecting others. Very nervous to ever put him in the dt. Is he a lost cause????

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@boozeman27 I think all you can do now is wait & see what happens with him in QT. Whether or not the marks completely fade. :confused:

IF (Big IF)
Paraguard works the same as formalin, then it would have the potential of disinfecting a tank (and all fish) of Uronema.

OP
OP
boozeman27

boozeman27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could I add some corals to this qt tank? Or will the para guard (have not put any in water in4 days now) hurt the corals. I would like to start qt'ing some corals

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could I add some corals to this qt tank? Or will the para guard (have not put any in water in4 days now) hurt the corals. I would like to start qt'ing some corals

I've read mixed reviews on whether or not Paraguard damages corals.

OP
OP
boozeman27

boozeman27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish Hi! So I have been watching him closely and have only seen slight improvement in the marks. Are these going to be permanent scars? Are you saying that he is never to go into the dt unless all marks have disappeared? Other than the Red scars he is behaving perfectly. I really would like to get him in the dt so I can use the qt for other fish (after disinfecting it of course). Btw, I have not added any paraguard for about 2 weeks. Just some selcon in his food.

IMG_0296.JPG IMG_0298.JPG IMG_0299.JPG

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@boozeman27 I'm really not sure. Sometimes all you can do after a fish has been run through every possible treatment is just put him in a small (unmedicated) tank by himself, and wait and see what happens.

OP
OP
boozeman27

boozeman27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok that's what I was afraid of. In other words, he could still be infectious to other fish? No chance they are just scars healing?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok that's what I was afraid of. In other words, he could still be infectious to other fish? No chance they are just scars healing?

Possibly... it's really hard to say with uronema.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I wouldn't risk it until you are SURE he's no longer infected. Once uronema gets in your DT, you can't get it out without a complete restart [emoji30]

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 32.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 41 20.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 40 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back