What brand sump do you run? Share pictures!

What brand/type sump do you use?

• Trigger

Votes: 144 17.8%
  • GEO Reef

Votes: 12 1.5%
  • Advanced Acylics

Votes: 28 3.5%
  • Precision Marine

Votes: 10 1.2%
  • Eshopps

Votes: 62 7.7%
  • IceCap

Votes: 18 2.2%
  • Custom

Votes: 74 9.1%
  • DIY

Votes: 275 34.0%
  • Other

Votes: 186 23.0%

• Total voters

seaplane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20g Hi DIY'd by a little old lady . Not fancy or pretty, but gets the job done.
IMG_20181217_162830629_HDR.jpg
;Happy

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they still in business?

I owned one of there sumps a couple of years ago.
Premium Aquatics has not sold their sumps for a while and they no longer have a web page.
They used to be a sponsor here too..
I really don't know what he has going on now. I think he took the web site down when he started making stock sumps for some of the vendors. I do believe he is still doing custom work through his Facebook page. It doesn't look like he has posted anything there in a few weeks, but if anyone is interested in a custom sump, I think they could contact Tyler from the Elite-Aquatics FB page:
https://www.facebook.com/Elite-Aquatics-241732935839455/

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm currently in the early stages of what will be my 180g build. Most my equipment is chosen but I can't make up my mind on what sump to run.

Usually I'm all about water volume and fitting the largest sump possible under the tank but some of these sumps seem so well planned out and efficient Im tempted to with something smaller like a GEO sump or Trigger or custom by AA.

Then there's the price. Do i want to spend close to what i dropped on the display for something thats going to be hidden under the tank?

So lets see those sumps here at R2R! Please include:
Make
Display/sump ratio
What you look for when sump shopping/requirments you want met
Any other sump knowledge and or experiences youd like to share!

Main issue im running into is finding a sump at a decent price that accepts 3 - 1.5" drains

I meant to have other* as a poll option. Maybe a mod can correct it?
Agreed. I think - an honest question.

Measure the area below your tank.
go to the hardware store
Have them cut lets say even 5 pieces of glass for you
and buy some aquarium safe silicone.

Beyond that what do you have - ie. an expensive nice looking thing that no one cares about - at the start,,,

Not to mention a year later when its covered with algae, etc.

there is no magic here (imho) - you're just adding total water volumes your tank - and hiding filtration equipment. It's the emperors new clothes circa 2018. to me it seems incredibly unbelievable... But im sure those with custom acrylic will be able to explain why theirs is the best method:)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use and love a crystalreefaquatics sump...

crystal-reef-aquatics-stealth-60-3_6845b6ed-7510-4588-94fe-104b9b629ba9_800x.jpg
this is not meant to be offensive. why not use an rubbermaid tub - with dividers siliconed in... ghnmmmmm

Burrito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about those people who just want something made and are willing to pay more for it to be done, functional, and look nice too.

Nothing about my trigger, banshea, etc sump being better than a diy, it does what I want. Was plug and play and I like it purple...

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What about those people who just want something made and are willing to pay more for it to be done, functional, and look nice too.

Nothing about my trigger, banshea, etc sump being better than a diy, it does what I want. Was plug and play and I like it purple...
Thats valid. Suggesting its magic - like some manufacturers do - not so much.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. I think - an honest question.

Measure the area below your tank.
go to the hardware store
Have them cut lets say even 5 pieces of glass for you
and buy some aquarium safe silicone.

Beyond that what do you have - ie. an expensive nice looking thing that no one cares about - at the start,,,

Not to mention a year later when its covered with algae, etc.

there is no magic here (imho) - you're just adding total water volumes your tank - and hiding filtration equipment. It's the emperors new clothes circa 2018. to me it seems incredibly unbelievable... But im sure those with custom acrylic will be able to explain why theirs is the best method:)
Seriously I do believe some designs are more functional than others, easier to maintain, have good light shielding, too much light pollution, or bad splashing & salt creep issues. Can you tell the problems I have been trying to solve? LOL. It is not JUST increased water volume.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Seriously I do believe some designs are more functional than others, easier to maintain, have good light shielding, too much light pollution, or bad splashing & salt creep issues. Can you tell the problems I have been trying to solve? LOL. It is not JUST increased water volume.
disagree.
what other problems are you trying to solve? in detail/

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm currently in the early stages of what will be my 180g build. Most my equipment is chosen but I can't make up my mind on what sump to run.

Usually I'm all about water volume and fitting the largest sump possible under the tank but some of these sumps seem so well planned out and efficient Im tempted to with something smaller like a GEO sump or Trigger or custom by AA.

Then there's the price. Do i want to spend close to what i dropped on the display for something thats going to be hidden under the tank?

So lets see those sumps here at R2R! Please include:
Make
Display/sump ratio
What you look for when sump shopping/requirments you want met
Any other sump knowledge and or experiences youd like to share!

Main issue im running into is finding a sump at a decent price that accepts 3 - 1.5" drains

I meant to have other* as a poll option. Maybe a mod can correct it?

Poll does not allow for multiple answers.
I have owned allot of sumps by allot of companies and also own several right now.
The best sump for the money is the Icecap sumps. They are not the best sump out there but the best for the money. They pack allot of bang for the buck especially on sale and are built pretty good.

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Advanced Acrylic built ba custom sump that I am installing the weekend between Christmas and New Year weekend.

This is to replace a 40 gallon tank used as a sump, that had to be custom built to fit through a opening in two parts.

They were great to work with, and the end results is a piece of art. Well built, heavy, polished corners, and to the exact specs requested.

32CCB9E0-FDE6-440F-AA05-ECBB2649332C.jpeg

9A1AE5AC-7388-49EE-841C-97DF81B48944.jpeg

65D990F0-D32B-4AFA-B53C-2F27619D569A.jpeg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rather than make do with an off the shelf or pay the big bucks for the custom job, I make it myself. Fun stuff. It's not purple or red with accent trim. Just a simple sump for my simple tank for a simple person. Shown here before adding the trim around the top.
M_sump1.jpg

Dancingmad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a trigger sump, a DIY, and one that isn't on the list - The Proflex. It was a really good sump. Lots of different configurations possible. Great for me when I was learning the hobby.

Y'all got some clean rigs. My sump, plumbing, and cable management is a mess. Total mess. Various fittings misc parts, and stuff that doesn't quite fit all over the place. Salt creep all over everything. It's a total mess y'all!!!11one

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is not meant to be offensive. why not use an rubbermaid tub - with dividers siliconed in... ghnmmmmm

I've had both. I like the "built sump" better for my application. Using filter floss, quiet drains, separate refugium, probe holders all built in and simple. I have some rubbermaids I used before and currently as well. I won a vertex sump after I set up my rubbermaid sump and that got me into purpose built sumps...

20181215_181557.jpg
20160414_194449.jpg

R4lph

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my geo sump and fuge. I had a life reef lf1300 for 6 months. It was the biggest piece of s@$t I ever wasted my money on. I contacted geo and never looked back.

6D1AF9A4-B7C9-4846-8C21-3980E90BB06B.png

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back