What can a current USA orbit grow and how strong is it really

Reefrookie220

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think a prime hd will be good enough for 32 bio cube tho

Definitely, in my opinion, I had a 24 cube with a standard prime. I had a good mixed reef with lps and Zoa down low, chalices here and there and what sps I did have we’re growing nicely.

Plus, when the inevitable upgrade from the biocube happens, you can just add another fixture. With current you have to upgrade the length of the fixtures

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely, in my opinion, I had a 24 cube with a standard prime. I had a good mixed reef with lps and Zoa down low, chalices here and there and what sps I did have we’re growing nicely.

Plus, when the inevitable upgrade from the biocube happens, you can just add another fixture. With current you have to upgrade the length of the fixtures

Oo so the HD is the way to go maybe I’ll sell my orbit and invest into that and what upgrade for biocube

Geebs19

Give me all the Euphyllia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with the prime. If you look online you will find most people have had poor success growing corals less than a few inches from the surface with the orbit.

There is one person on this site that will defend orbit lights all day long but 1 person didn’t sway my thoughts on the many reviews I read online from disappointed people.

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with the prime. If you look online you will find most people have had poor success growing corals less than a few inches from the surface with the orbit.

There is one person on this site that will defend orbit lights all day long but 1 person didn’t sway my thoughts on the many reviews I read online from disappointed people.

Agreed i got some really softies aren’t growing much and my water is good

Geebs19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed i got some really softies aren’t growing much and my water is good

I think it’s sad how they were marketing them, I think they have recently drawn back on their coral growth statements. But when I was looking they made it sound like it could compete wait Primes, hydras, or radions.

Lovemyreef2015

Reefing Mom!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the regular current orbit marine on my nano. It worked great for that small of a tank with anemones and LPS. However, if I had a choice now I'd most likely go with a prime or kessil. The orbit marine was great for a budget, we got it used for 50 dollars.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw i have 3 primes on my 40b and have no complaints with the lights.

That said i use the current loop system for my return and power heads. Very well built dc pumps with very easy to use app.

Geebs19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw i have 3 primes on my 40b and have no complaints with the lights.

That said i use the current loop system for my return and power heads. Very well built dc pumps with very easy to use app.

I have the wave makers and they are amazing! Looking into getting the return pump, how long have you had yours? I love the loop system and hope the programming gets better so I can randomize flow during the day. And who knows maybe one day they will have lights that can compete with the $$$ ones.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the wave makers and they are amazing! Looking into getting the return pump, how long have you had yours? I love the loop system and hope the programming gets better so I can randomize flow during the day. And who knows maybe one day they will have lights that can compete with the $$$ ones.
Have had the return running since may.
I messaged them asking their future plans.
More pump modes, and a battery back up system are in the works. No firm dates yet.

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, m

The debate about lights will always be a never ending debate. As I have shown in pics my tank is 34 inches tall and the 60 degree lens marine pros with an li-cor 1500 par meter had more par, and power than hydra and Ecotech did. They have less shadow effect and amazing service.

All the lights mentioned are good but ask yourself this, what do you like, and what as a family can you afford? Yes it’s nice to have the name brand, but as I have shown and others have proven most corals only need 200 par. I would think or more like suggest visit your local aquarium. After viewing it find
The tank you find as the most impressive and, better the one that looks gorgeous to you. Then ask them what lights they are using? Another very important aspect is, yes my lights look amazing on my tank, but with any light they may not look the same on your tank. Corals May or may not adapt well to these newer lights. My corals are use to the current marine pros and grow great. When I added a third of the same light (yes the ones I have are hard to find lol and still 800 dollars sheesh), but my corals didn’t respond well because there just way way too much light.

Either way you go I would always support your decision, it’s your tank. But based on what your asking, and pure experience, just because of a name and price does not mean anything. There is not one company that has not experienced issues, however with that said, mitras, current usa are some who have been known to have less issues.

Sincerely
Sarah

Last edited:
OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, m

The debate about lights will always be a never ending debate. As I have shown in pics my tank is 34 inches tall and the 60 degree lens marine pros with an li-cor 1500 par meter had more par, and power than hydra and Ecotech did. They have less shadow effect and amazing service.

All the lights mentioned are good but ask yourself this, what do you like, and what as a family can you afford? Yes it’s nice to have the name brand, but as I have shown and others have proven most corals only need 200 par. I would think or more like suggest visit your local aquarium. After viewing it find
The tank you find as the most impressive and, better the one that looks gorgeous to you. Then ask them what lights they are using? Another very important aspect is, yes my lights look amazing on my tank, but with any light they may not look the same on your tank. Corals May or may not adapt well to these newer lights. My corals are use to the current marine pros and grow great. When I added a third of the same light (yes the ones I have are hard to find lol and still 800 dollars sheesh), but my corals didn’t respond well because there just way way too much light.

Either way you go I would always support your decision, it’s your tank. But based on what your asking, and pure experience, just because of a name and price does not mean anything. There is not one company that has not experienced issues, however with that said, mitras, current usa are some who have been known to have less issues.

Sincerely
Sarah

Very true well put together thanks for the input !

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think a prime hd will be good enough for 32 bio cube tho

I run a single ai prime over my 32 gal and run it on the David Saxby setting and still got to keep it on 40% acclamation mode or I will bleach my montipora. Plus they look nice hanging over the tank. For around 200 bucks I would totally do it over again. Very sweet phone controls, incredible value.

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a single ai prime over my 32 gal and run it on the David Saxby setting and still got to keep it on 40% acclamation mode or I will bleach my montipora. Plus they look nice hanging over the tank. For around 200 bucks I would totally do it over again. Very sweet phone controls, incredible value.

Yah Ima order the prime HD+ think it’s okay to take the lights from the biocube and hand the prime inside the lid ?

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I tried at first but got horrible shading the spread was bad. I think you need it a little bit higher to look good, but try it and see what you like. I cut a hole In The top and used Velcro to attach light. I did not like it and just decided to go top less and get the bendy arm(mixed feelings on this) and now it lights the tank the way I like it.

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I tried at first but got horrible shading the spread was bad. I think you need it a little bit higher to look good, but try it and see what you like. I cut a hole In The top and used Velcro to attach light. I did not like it and just decided to go top less and get the bendy arm(mixed feelings on this) and now it lights the tank the way I like it.

IMG_1991.JPG

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh interesting yah maybe I’ll even sell my biocube and get a rimless but those are pricey

They still look good top off. I say work with what you got or look online there is a way to make a biocube rimless but I don’t want to attempt it
4bde13b2a9f451491232d906514e1a55.jpg
tank just waking up so it’s very blue but you get the idea

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back