What CONTAINER do you use for DRIP ACCLIMATION

Bruce60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the size of the fish. I have used everything from the small specimen containers that can hang on the side of a tank to a 5 gallon pail. I have segregated containers for these purposes that have never been touched with soap or toxic chemicals. Some airline tubing with a knot to adjust flow can provide drip. Just use common sense.

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the size of the fish. I have used everything from the small specimen containers that can hang on the side of a tank to a 5 gallon pail. I have segregated containers for these purposes that have never been touched with soap or toxic chemicals. Some airline tubing with a knot to adjust flow can provide drip. Just use common sense.
Just considering using a large measuring cup. I’m getting a royal gramma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 gallon Home Depot bucket purchased especially for drip acclimation with an air line hose with either the drip valve at the end or a knot pulled tight enough to allow the right drip speed.

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 gallon Home Depot bucket purchased especially for drip acclimation with an air line hose with either the drip valve at the end or a knot pulled tight enough to allow the right drip speed.
I’m unsure if the water in the bag is going to be enough to fill the bottom of one of my 5 gallon buckets for this fish so that’s why I’m concerned

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m unsure if the water in the bag is going to be enough to fill the bottom of one of my 5 gallon buckets for this fish so that’s why I’m concerned

A couple of options would be to tilt the bucket or to place a small container inside the 5 gallon bucket to start the process. Good luck with your new fish!

Bruce60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just considering using a large measuring cup. I’m getting a royal gramma
Just rinse the measuring cup out really well...first with warm water and then with RO (if you have it). I prefer warm water as it will tend to solubilize a bit more than cold water. Just trying to get any soap residue off. You could then add 1/4 cup of tank water every 10-15 mins until you double volume (remove some if you are going to overflow cup).

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did this yesterday for a weeping willow frag. I poured the water from the frag into a red solo cup and placed the red solo cup inside of a one gallon bucket. I ran my drip acclimation tube from the tank to the red solo cup. As it filled, it overflowed the cup pushing the mixed and old water into the one gallon bucket and allowing me to keep a good visual on the frag. The cup was white on the inside so I was able to see the condition and any potential hitchhikers, dip whatever. When the gallon bucket was almost 3/4 filled --- I took out the solo cup, dumped the mixed water from the one gallon and gave the frag a final rinse in clean tank water before adding it to the tank.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually float the bag in the tank with the end open. I wrap the open end around the edge of the tank and hold it in place with a chip clip. From there I can add a little water periodically until I'm satisfied.
I used to do this but I had a case when the clip failed and it dumped most of the LFS water into my DT. I went out and got the little tube with the IV bag regulator after that. It cost me ten bucks and it was so much easier after that.
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/aqua-gadget-accudrip-acclimator-one-pack.html

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did this yesterday for a weeping willow frag. I poured the water from the frag into a red solo cup and placed the red solo cup inside of a one gallon bucket. I ran my drip acclimation tube from the tank to the red solo cup. As it filled, it overflowed the cup pushing the mixed and old water into the one gallon bucket and allowing me to keep a good visual on the frag. The cup was white on the inside so I was able to see the condition and any potential hitchhikers, dip whatever. When the gallon bucket was almost 3/4 filled --- I took out the solo cup, dumped the mixed water from the one gallon and gave the frag a final rinse in clean tank water before adding it to the tank.
I’ll definitely consider that for frags.
I used to do this but I had a case when the clip failed and it dumped most of the LFS water into my DT. I went out and got the little tube with the IV bag regulator after that. It cost me ten bucks and it was so much easier after that.
Bought one of those a little while ago and I’ll be using it for tomorrow

Poof No Eyebrows

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had that happen too (I upgraded to an industrial strength clip lol) except the bag dumped all down the front of the tank! I also use a traditional drip system but in all honesty I only use it for "sensitive" sea creatures.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For smaller fish in a smaller bag we just tilt the bucket with a piece of foam under one side. Works mint. You can use whatever container you like.

ScottyD36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually float the bag in the tank with the end open. I wrap the open end around the edge of the tank and hold it in place with a chip clip. From there I can add a little water periodically until I'm satisfied.
I bought a 5 gallon tank from Petsmart for $10 that is all I use. It is easy to clean and set up when needed.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back