What do you do for Tanksitters

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re gone for a week, do nothing. If you feel the need then write out precise instructions.

you could also face time with them every other day while they feed and take care of the tank. 5 mins every couple of days and you’re set.

Fish_Fry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your experience.

I leave all the food premeasured in shot glasses and I put it in a very obvious spot near each tank. I also leave a bucket of water next to the ATO reservoir, with post-it notes clearly indicating to fill the ATO reservoir and not the sump.

I agree with the others that it might be worth paying a service to check on your tank. You might be able to find someone on Rover, which is a pet sitting / dog walking service.

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i didn’t go through all the posts but perhaps investing in more automation? more controllers or auto feeders, or camera(s) to monitor while you’re away? i understand with more automation comes the risk of something failing sooner or later but perhaps you can set things up while you’re on vacation?

local reefer/LFS?
This. I do a lot of traveling for work, usually a few weeks at a time. I just run cameras, fill the ATO and auto feed during the duration.

I do have someone on standby when I can see something going wrong, but otherwise no interaction except a once a week visit to check everything visually and toss in some frozen. I don't thaw anything, my fish don't care. I also have Anthias, they can be trained to feed pellets. Just don't cater to them, if they are established they will figure it out, just like all my other fish do!

I also have dogs, but they go to the sitter.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) tell them upfront you'll buy them an Amazon gift card for their efforts. I usually pay $60. a pay out makes them be more attentive & INVESTED...

2) have a APEX where 95% of all tasks are automated anyway.

3) invest in WYZE cameras to watch various parts of the tank as LIVE video streams

4) K.I.S.S..... I bought little disposable 1oz cups with lids and premeasured all food. My caregiver only dumps the 1oz contents in the tank PER DAY, and report on anything strange looking. Everything else is pre-engineered by me for APEX to take care of it (water top offs)

I go on vacation for 15 days once a year. I watch my APEX on my Phone every morning and every evening during vacation. I also have about 3-4 WYZE cameras to see LIVE views. Different family members on alert if a leak breaks out!

* Pay your caretakers
* Run APEX
* watch WYZE cams
* Keep It Simple Stupid

Last edited:

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not get one of those in tank defrosters? Just plop the food in there.

My tank sitter had to pick up my prize 3ft eel with bare hands after it jumped the tank twice in a row one day. How’s that for a good tanksitter?

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Afternoon all,

Just curious what everyone does for tanksitters while you’re out of town. I’ve had some horrible results lately:

Vacation 1:
Came back to Ich in my DT. Turns out our friend was using the water from the QT tanks to thaw food. Rip apart DT, Fallow, etc.

Vacation 2:
Same friend from #1 forgot to feed my second QT for two days. Didn’t notice the fish because of their size. Lost 3x Tiny Juvi Lemarks and a Biota Regal.
….Honestly she’s my girl’s friend. Disowning wouldn’t be too difficult…..

Vacation 3:
Different friend, same result as Vacation 1. Apparently I didn’t stress it enough. Just found out today. I’ll have time in about 2 weeks to tear everything apart. Again.
Can’t wait……..

So I’m 0-3. Any ideas? I’m in the Bay Area if anyone knows of an LFS that offers tanksitting.
Get rid of your qt problem solved

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) tell them upfront you'll buy them an Amazon gift card for their efforts. I usually pay $60. a pay out makes them be more attentive & INVESTED...

2) have a APEX where 95% of all tasks are automated anyway.

3) invest in WYZE cameras to watch various parts of the tank as LIVE video streams

4) K.I.S.S..... I bought little disposable 1oz cups with lids and premeasured all food. My caregiver only dumps the 1oz contents in the tank PER DAY, and report on anything strange looking. Everything else is pre-engineered by me for APEX to take care of it (water top offs)

I go on vacation for 15 days once a year. I watch my APEX on my Phone every morning and every evening during vacation. I also have about 3-4 WYZE cameras to see LIVE views. Different family members on alert if a leak breaks out!

* Pay your caretakers
* Run APEX
* watch WYZE cams
* Keep It Simple Stupid

Similar to what I suggested... My cups are 2 oz, but same thing. I measure out what I feed daily and all she has to do is dump one cup into each tank each day.

The principal is simple. Take any work out of the equation. You are worried they will defrost the food with the wrong tanks water? Defrost it for them with the right tanks water and done.

My tanksitter has never failed me. But I do all of the work for her ahead of time. Each tank has it own clearly indicated food supply. Take 1 container from the basket and put it in the tank. Each basket is clearly labeled for which tank it goes to. Toss the empty cup in the sink. Done.

OP
OP
Pneumatic_Addict

Pneumatic_Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not get one of those in tank defrosters? Just plop the food in there.

My tank sitter had to pick up my prize 3ft eel with bare hands after it jumped the tank twice in a row one day. How’s that for a good tanksitter?

I bought one of the prototypes when they first came out. They work…okay. But not a week long solution.

Solid sitter though haha. I got tagged by a Frimby once trying to dig him out of an overflow. My boss about fell over laughing.

OP
OP
Pneumatic_Addict

Pneumatic_Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the deal with the sitters is usually $60/day. Stay at my crib or not, use the pool, have friends over, whatever. And I overstock fridge with whatever booze & food they like.

I think we have the solution. Premeasured shot glasses labeled for each tank. Gunna color code them as well.

Last edited:

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the deal with the sitters is usually $60/day. Stay at my crib or not, use the pool, have friends over, whatever. And I overstock fridge with whatever booze & food they like.

I think we have the solution. Premeasured shot glasses labeled for each tank. Gunna color code them as well.

If you weren't on the other side of the country, I would HAPPILY housesit for you!!!

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My house sitter has it easy, Feed the tanks, clean the cat box. done. Everything else is set up ahead of time. Even the cat food and water is simple...

OP
OP
Pneumatic_Addict

Pneumatic_Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you weren't on the other side of the country, I would HAPPILY housesit for you!!!

Honestly, at this point, it’s worth the round trip ticket. Come on down, beers cold.

Make it painful obvious that I value the tank and creatures inside far more than I value our friendship. . . or their life. . .

Just kidding, I just never leave me home. . . problem solved.

I remind them of this regularly when it comes to my dogs. Maybe including the fish would help lol.

I do make it a point to pick friends to watch the house. I know where they live…..

LeannaBanana

Fishies and Frenchies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will likely be repetitive at this point in the thread, but between our two high-maintenance dogs, lizard, and fish tanks, we hire an in-home house sitter when we're away for more than a few days at a time. I typically have this person over (usually the same person) a day or two in advance to go through the routine and any changes since the last visit. I also email or text any photos or videos of what "normal" looks like, along with written instructions. We also pay what I think is pretty well and request daily updates, including the fish tank (so I get photos every day to verify it all looks good). We have almost everything automated so really all she has to do with the tank is visually verify everything looks the same, and toss the frozen foods in once a day.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a trusted person who has as much experience come daily to feed and look tank over. Also have inside and outside cameras

OP
OP
Pneumatic_Addict

Pneumatic_Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will likely be repetitive at this point in the thread, but between our two high-maintenance dogs, lizard, and fish tanks, we hire an in-home house sitter when we're away for more than a few days at a time. I typically have this person over (usually the same person) a day or two in advance to go through the routine and any changes since the last visit. I also email or text any photos or videos of what "normal" looks like, along with written instructions. We also pay what I think is pretty well and request daily updates, including the fish tank (so I get photos every day to verify it all looks good). We have almost everything automated so really all she has to do with the tank is visually verify everything looks the same, and toss the frozen foods in once a day.

I have a trusted person who has as much experience come daily to feed and look tank over. Also have inside and outside cameras

If y’all know anyone in the TB area I’d gladly pay the extra for peace of mind.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back